FIGURED OUT HOW TO FIX Blzbntagt00000bb8!

I just figured out how to fix
I have sent this to support many times…and I just figured out the issue. Support could not figure out even though I sent them all log files and the answer was in the tact.log file. The folder data/config the config file was trying to create the new folder and files in a folder set to “custom” access and the game was denied creating the folder. I went through the config folder and set about 20 folders that were set to custom out of the 162, I changed to the folders to read write…AND IT FIXED MY PROBLEM. Now I have to figure out why the machine is setting random folders in this to custom.

I think of all the time wasted reinstalling game, VPN, delete cache, delete battle net, delete battle net folder, delete blizzard folder, etc. etc.

Due to you saying that you use a VPN, it’s probably safe to assume you’re into privacy and security, so I’m going to also assume you’re likely using some non-windows defender AV, like ESET or something:

Did you ever try just disabling your antivirus software(usually called realtime protection) or adding WoW to its whitelist? A lot of the time, AVs are what prevent things like games from making new folders or changing file permissions. You might also be able to try running WoW as an administrator (go into the WoW folder, locate wow.exe, right click, run as admin).

The custom access flags probably just means that the client was able to check a few of the boxes, but not all of them because it lacked the permissions to do so or some external action changed them.

1 Like

Yes I shut off all security mechanisms quite some time ago. Most folders locked were from 2020, 2021, last created. And I did not check dates on sub-folders. But the cause may have been security locking folders, but shutting the security does not fix the issue. You have to check what folders may have been locked previously. and unlock them changing security to read write. There is a key and a new folder is created based on each time wow changes that key. Hence random lockout when the key changes.

I should add it explains why it was after maintenance this would happen, as they would change the key, which in turn a new folder would be created and 20 out of the 162 were sort of locked. And it also explains after a few days it would go away as they would change the key again. Very easy to find the issue look in the tact.log file and will tell you which folder is the issue immediately.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.