Figure I have nothing to lose by asking here

I see, because I think one of the most common cause for fps-drop is bad-cooling. Most of the time you wouldn’t even notice if you’re using a desktop, because most of the stuffs you wouldn’t normally touch.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what it is. Earlier I got desperate and tried just shutting down a bunch of processes and services. That disconnected me from the internet and I had to resart my computer, lmao. I am really bad at this.

I thought about doing a Windows Defender Fresh Start (as per my thread in the tech support forums) but I am not sure if that will genuinely help.

If your pc is rather good and you dont have a lot of stuff to back up, probably do it and reset to factory default. Treat it like a cleanup for your computer. Do take note of your important day to day programs and skip out on trivial stuff

That is true. Though if that were the case wouldn’t it mean that everything of mine would slow down? I can play other games and browse forums/videos/etc just fine outside of WoW.

I actually did consider that earlier and I might have to go in and check down there. Maybe buy one of those air duster thingies to get in there.

Ah, so it’s only WoW. Then it’s most likely not a hardware problem. Well, look at this, we’re already making progress.

However, I have no more advise that I can give you beside reinstalling and try to play awhile without addons and see what happens.

1 Like

It’s actually not the best, and kind of outdated. All the info is on here.

As far as I know I’d only really have to re-DL a couple of games and put up a couple of files on my google drive (I have a Terraria map that’s been worked on for years and I’d definitely have to save that rofl). I can’t really think of anything else that’s essential here. But nonetheless I don’t want to do it until I’m sure it will actually help with FPS issues.

It’s mostly for cleaning purposes, like when you move furniture to clean underneath and find crap you never knew was there, and so on. It’s good to do maybe once every year or two if you’re still using the same pc

2 Likes

Depending on your hardware, cooling, and a variety of OS and GPU configurations WoW is capable of driving up your temps and causing CPU or GPU throttling.

Also, Chrome can consume a tremendous amount of memory over time, particularly with something like the forums running and auto-updating in the background (as this forum does).

You could try downloading something like HWMonitor from CPUID, which will give you current/min/max temps for each of your CPU cores and your GPU (video card), as well as your CPU utilization. Start it up to get some baselines prior to playing WoW, then let it continue to run while you play.

3 Likes

Alrighty I will give that some serious consideration. I do probably have a lot of leftover stuff lingering in here. That plus a fresh reinstall of WoW might help.

Good idea, thanks. :slight_smile: I actually don’t know how hot it does get under there but that would provide some insight.

1 Like

I just went through this same issue with my machine. My machine is OP for this game (MSI x399 Gaming Pro Carbon, Ryzen Threadripper, dual RX 580 cards) and was dipping below 20 FPS after 15 minutes or so.

Two things:

1. Download a program called SpeedFan. It allows you to manually control the fans on the GPU. But more so than that …

2. … consider resetting your CMOS. This is what fixed my machine. MSI boards for the AMD Ryzen chipset have a CMOS reset button on the exterior of the computer, meaning no more opening up the case and jumpering the CMOS reset plug. My CMOS had somehow gotten corrupted and the reset fixed it.

2 Likes

I had a look at your dxdiags here and everything looks okay. The GPU you’re using was released back in 2012/13, though. Did you get it when it was new? Been using it semi-constantly since? if the game runs fine for a little while but then doesn’t, that really does sound like you’re experiencing throttling due to heat.

Get some compressed air and clean your computer out. It could also be that the cooling fan failed on the GPU.

2 Likes

Dump the cache, it’s probably an add-on error that’s compounding as you play. Remove all addons, check the important ones in the forum’s for bugs.

1 Like

Much appreciated y’all, thank you. :slight_smile:
I went ahead and took the suggestions I can do with the computer on. Tomorrow I will open it up and use those suggestions involving the actual hardware.

I looked at you computer specs it’s pretty outdated but not to bad could def use more ram. But from the sound of it your graphics card is throttling because of heat or your cpu. Not sure if you have any software to measure the temp of your GPU or CPU anything over 90c is real bad.

1 Like

Yup I’m going to go in later today and try to clean it out a bit. Figure that might help. Thanks for the response. :slight_smile:

Wowhead will eat your PC alive, literally… so I would take caution going there unless absolutely necessary…and for very very short bursts of time.

1 Like

Yeah I totally agree. I don’t go in there without the metaphorical equivalent of a hazmat suit, lol. uBlock and ScriptSafe. I learned how to make the site work with very minimal scripts.

1 Like

Win 10 uses 8 gigs of memory pretty steadily. I used to encounter issues where the game would slow down to a chug (almost akin to memory bloating) and I’d have to restart the application in order to play again. I upgraded to 16 and haven’t had an issue since, and that’s sometimes running the game an entire day over the weekend.

1 Like

Getting some RAM and a new video card is definitely on the list. Just need to get the money saved up first. xD

Didn’t see an answer regarding temperatures – if you haven’t gotten a temperature monitor, you can find one here:

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If any of your components are showing temperatures above about 70 C (160~ish F), that is potentially problematic and may indicate that your framerate issues are due to hardware throttling due to temperature.

1 Like