Feral in arenas

I can’t anymore. I hate doing negative dps and not being a brain dead zug fury or DH and just jumping into the enemies out of the gate and start hucking every fing ability and winning the game. I’m not good enough to beat brain dead zug melees and being feral and be all finesse and pRo mLg with all my dumbass CCs that end up doing nothing but slowing my DPS down (like it even pumps anyways???) and we just get zugged down and it means nothing.
I hate solo shuffle and doing zero damage every game. I hate myself. I hate this game. I hate feral. I hate that I suck complete donkey a$$ when I just want to enjoy my f
ing favorite spec. I’m done with it. Fury warrior is so stupid and DH is the dumbest thing ever. If I touch melee again I’m going there. For now gonna try boomkin cuz I secretly don’t want to quit feral. Just wish it did zug brain dmg and I didn’t have to CC anything and I could get rating at least….
Can you tell I’m tilted?

10 Likes

Try playing an alt man. Not gonna lie, I’ve definitely been there too. I’ve raged quite a bit in the arena this expansion and resent the fact that some specs like BM and Fury can just pump a 2 button rotation without landing a single trap and still out pressure us for a win and be successful. I visualize a large man-baby smashing his open palms on 2 large buttons on his desk behind those specs.

The problem is when I try to mess around and play them they become incredibly boring fast and far less rewarding after the initial excitement of running down a target and smashing a few buttons to win wears off. There is zero thought processes or engagement and I miss the tools and shifting mobility of druid.

3 Likes

Feral is like a support class, a bit like shadow priest. It’s a non lethal dps spec that supports lethal-but-frail dps spec like hunter. You’re basically a peel/stunbot for the hunter and you do some rot dmg that isn’t always relevant, with the bonus of not being another easy target (unlike an assa rogue for example).

In 2s you want to play double dps imo, the win conditions are way more straightforward than with healer/feral. Double dps isn’t easier, but it’s just more natural.

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I’ve calmed down after a nice day of work. Plumbing apprenticeship is so satisfying. Had a R1 comment saying that once you get 4 piece you can kill things as feral. Haven’t tried it yet but I got it. Maybe tonight will be different! Sorry for the gross language, inexcusable.

6 Likes

I recently rerolled from ele to feral, it seems that I now have much more answers to any arena situations. You really should get 4 pieces and maybe go through some guides before quitting kitty, spec is not weak at all.

Bro, as an Arms warrior “gone feral” I feel you. I’m so used to jumping in and smashing peeps. It’s such a different play style as a feral. I’m doubt I
going to get into rated arenas on it, Just get full conquest base level and spam random BGS. Because that the most fun play for me.

Yesterdays solo there was 2 gladiator DHs and it was the most BS I’ve ever seen. It was Worse than the time I went against 2 necro paladins on my arms Warrior and they just exploded me every time in SECONDS and one had the indecency to ask me if I was “special needs” when it was on my team.

Am I going to stay feral in DF?? Idk. I think so. I love the Druid class entirely and can’t ever get away from it. This IS my first time playing feral though semi seriously.

Update:
Feral 4 piece has saved how feral feels for me! My damage has gotten better. I’m not a raging low life anymore.
Blargh.

2 Likes

try going night fae, you play for convoke set up full stuns an all enemies and delete kids with convoke, then go back to peel and control, gives you massive burst windows to get kills couple that with tier 4 set when you setup kill windows you smash kids , also make the tank lego natures balance or whatever for increased bearskin literally just bear around controlling thing till you setup a stun convoke and kill things, you still wont just face roll but is alot of fun either way

2 Likes

To some of us, this has proven to be the opposite of fun

4 Likes

i mean everyone is entitled to an opinion and i can understand not enjoying it but the OP made it very clear he felt he does no damage, and just raw throughput maybe we dont but our burst for kill setup is actually very strong if done right, and lets be honest pvp is more about burst windows atm rather than just zug zug trains

relatable, i could 1v2 in mop and yet this xpac cant win areas

2 Likes

Play wrath. It’s when feral actually had a unique play style and could out skill zug zug melee.

4 Likes

Agreed here, come play feral on wrath. These were the days when a cat could tank melee. No better feeling than out dpsing a blood dks healing

To the Op imma tell you what most people tell me …. “play what you like”. Now with that being said Now do you people see what I mean . If my class I like like feral is trash why the F would I play it ?? So stop saying that .

I have won undergeared in shuffles on my Druid because of casters not having a defensive or response to Convoke behind a pillar, out of LoS from their healer.

Convoke is not the best ability anymore, but there are still a lot of surprise moments where you can get huge value from it, and that’s where it feels great.

1 Like

The main problem this expansion with feral boils down to 2 things.

1. Feral as always relies on kiting to stay alive, kiting means creating distance while our bleeds do damage.

2. melee this expansion (primarily fury and dh) have far too many gap closing abilities.

You can see the issue here.

6 Likes

This is not really true at high versa levels.

Bear form allows you to sit (with a healer) to avoid burst kills and escape offensive cooldowns, thanks to an inability to be snared. And Predatory Swiftness is more healing than DH passive leech outside of Morph windows. When you compare the full kit that Druid has to survive, there are a ton of tools that keep you alive in team play (Guardian Affinities) and plenty to keep you rolling in the hit and run solo that you describe (Resto Affinity). But the problem of staying alive isn’t unique to Druid - run out of cooldowns on Rogue, splat. Can’t get into melee range on Fury, splat. Aggressively turtle or block, splat. That’s the nature of the current meta – pressure for defensives and/or trinkets and then blast the unlucky kill target. There are fewer specs that ignore that issue than there are which adhere to the careful dance around setups and pressure.

It’s true that there are too many gap closers but that’s almost exclusively because there are far too many Blinks. If you didn’t have those tools, Hunter and Mage would dominate the meta because they could never be caught.

Unfortunately, feral damage profile hasn’t been bleeds since they fixed the mastery bug in WotLK. Before someone tries to clarify with an Akshually, yes, you can get good bleed damage from Necro thanks to Feral Frenzy and Adaptive Swarm. It’s worth noticing that Frenzy is less of a bleed (long term DoT to support a kite and rot style) and more of a short duration burst mechanic which benefits from bleed synergies. Outside of that though, you’re still rotating around bashes and bites to close out arena matches.

From Legion forward, the spec was more about big bites than anything else. In my opinion, the style you describe is better for health of the spec because people believe that is its identity still. I have noted many times since, mastery should only affect bleeds. That allows some of the degenerate profile from bites to be pulled back into the bleed build Feral is originally known for.

And yes, DH is too mobile. When a DH runs you down on your mount and never snares, there’s a problem. I don’t agree that Warrior really has the same issue… If they miss the Hamstring/Howl, they’ll never catch. But Entangling Roots has been a godsend for dealing with both classes.

Warrior has unlimited charge cooldowns. Warrior is one of the most mobile specs in the game. Can charge 8 times back to back to back

4 Likes

So dramatic LOL
Careful Shay, you might get a reputation.

The only “infinity plus” charges is on Death Sentence with Condemn. Otherwise, you’re taking Storm Bolt and have one charge. Further, Death Sentence has a slight cooldown, requires Rage as Arms, and a shortened 15 yd range. Basically stops you from dead zoning in the near melee range. Compare with Keefer’s Skyreach, which is no cooldown, no target HP requirements, and actual unlimited charges, the hyperbole becomes clear.

You gotta play to your strengths, so ya Kite. You can insta root the DH. Take Thorns, and pop bear if you cant get away from the Zug.