For what particular reason are Templar and Herald for Ret both centered around Wake the Ashes? That feels rather restrictive, esp. in talent selection.

12 Likes

The final cap stone for Temp seems clunky for me.

Seems like you have 8 seconds after casting the first Hammer to build 50 stacks to then build up 5 hp to cast HoL to then cast the free one.

Compared to Herald simply linking you to all your spots for pulsing dmg.

Definitely needs to be simplified.

Perhaps the final capstone could reduce the cost of hammer to 3 hp or reduce the stack cost from 50 to 25?

1 Like

This…

Feels like it should be centered around Divine Toll instead.

5 Likes

Perhaps remove the HP cost of Hammer and give it a short cd after casting wake and a longer cd after casting hammer.

Then redesign the final cap stone, having to ramp up the stacks isn’t fun. Feels like another divine arbitor.

Maybe have Emp hammers reduce the CD of HoL?

3 Likes

I gotta spend 5 holy power. And get an effect that causes me to aoe and reduce damage of targets by 5%

But shield of the righteous is 3 holy power. Aoes, gives me 17% damage reduction, heals allies, and grants stacking stam and str…

10 Likes

Thanks for listening :wink: :wink:
You’re welcome!

1 Like

Read the Higher Calling and Hammerfall talents…
You have more than 8 and even when it falls you can still gain stacks.

I’m more interested by how it interacts with CSAA and TS.
TS can give you 4+ extra sec while CSAA most likely give you 2-3.

Can we somehow make it to 100% uptime?
Is that how Ret will get it’s “skill expression” ?

Oh that’s right.

Still doesn’t seem fun having another divine arbitor though

5 Likes

Completely agree. Retribution has too much of this currently.

Divine Arbiter and Aura of Reckoning (PvP Talent)

I have never been a fan of abilities like these and was also disappointed to see Divine Arbiter when it hit the talent trees on the PTR.

4 Likes

I’m not very impressed.

Also these talents seems to consolidate that we will likely not see wake of ashes reset again.

So for me ret will stay as a c/d tier spec for gameplay for the foreseeable future.

4 Likes

Templar and hammers just do not sound very synergistic to me. Templar almost immediately calls swords to my mind.

This Hero Spec should be grounded thematically much more into a physical damage dealing juggernaut.

I also have no idea what you guys are cooking up for Rider of the Apocalypse, but Templar could really go heavier on augments to Divine Steed. Considering this Hero Spec is for Prot/Ret, let’s make Divine Steed more aggressive and cool.

7 Likes

Even if you can keep the uptime indefinitely with TS and even imp BoJ, you’re still gated by having wake available to press.

So not only do you need 50 stacks you need wake available for subsequent HoL’s.

Arbitor at least just needs stacks.

1 Like

Looking at this from my Prot Paly’s PoV.

Hammer of Light costs 5 Holy Power to use, but for Prot, maintaining a high uptime on Shield of Righteousness is important. You can only really start accumulating excess Holy Power once you have high haste (30% or more). Also, you can only Hammer of Light for 12s after using Eye of Tyr so you’d probably only get 1-2 casts of it. Maybe make Hammer of Light replace Shield of Righteousness instead during the duration?

Either way…

Left-side path is bad. Templar’s Watch is pretty underwhelming for Prot compared to the Bell Tolls. Sarcosanct Crusade is kinda underwhelming as well… you’re getting a tiny extra absorb shield for using Eye of Tyr.

Middle path looks the most fun for just pure AOE dps. I don’t really have any negative complaints.

Right side is kinda mid as well. Also, you have a typo it’s Empyrean Hammer not Emmpyrean. So when you use Hammer of Light (and have to crit with a 60% chance to apply this effect) you get a whopping -5% damage reduction from nearby enemies. It’s probably equal to getting like -1% overall damage reduction. This seems a bit too clunky and complex: just make Eye of Tyr reduce your damage taken by an extra -10%.

Bonds of Fellowship is kinda bad considering you’re planted on the ground as a Prot Paladin in your Consecration. Unrelenting Charger is okay: it’s really another version of Seasoned Warhorse.

Undisputed Ruling is probably the only good talent on that side. I’m assuming you can AOE apply Judgement of Light. Also, Eye of Tyr granting an extra 3 Holy Power is kinda nice if you just want to instantly use it, and cast Hammer of Light.

The end tree ability Light’s Deliverance would only realistically work with the middle tree because of the constant Empyrean Hammer’s being casted when you Shield of Righteousness and activating/extending Shake the Heavens.

The tree just needs some adjustments to the left and right side paths and maybe not requiring 50 stacks of Light’s Deliverance. It feels like at 50 stacks it would take like 5+ minutes to get even one proc. Easily a lot worse if you’re tanking a boss in raid.

4 Likes

? How is divine toll less restrictive than Wake?

And this is my Prot Paladin incase anyone is interested.

1 Like

Because you wouldn’t have to take wake for Temp if you didn’t want to. as it stands you need wake for both Temp and herald, which is why it’s “restrictive”

3 Likes

Templar stop at nothing to fulfil their divine purpose of bringing justice and purging the wicked. They call down hammers of light and unleash devastating combinations of Physical and Holy attacks that vanquish their enemies.

It truly is the theme that is lacking the most. It is very difficult to distinguish this Hero Spec description from what a Retribution Paladin currently already is.

Templar needs more creative fleshing out!

13 Likes

This…

You could literally describe a ret to the T with this without hero specs existing

Also, I don’t see anything physical on the Temp tree.

Now if they named this “hammer bro” then it would work.

8 Likes

Hard agree. Its objectively worse than SOTR.

4 Likes

I am not the best prot paladin but this seems pretty bad?

Like, I feel like outside of pretty high gear levels I have to be pretty frugal with both holy power and GCDs (to generate holy power) otherwise I will lose up time on SotR and consecrate.

I can’t imagine I have the room to drop a 5HP ability without dramatically changing how much HP prot is generating?

The only time I’d want to drop hammer of light is when I was off-tanking, but I wouldn’t want to use Eye of Tyr as a DPS cooldown?

I don’t see any of this being stuff I’d want as a prot paladin.

4 Likes