Yeah hard disagree with Porom there.

Having to store a bunch of stacks just so you can optimize and use it during CD windows means more CD buttons. Not at all what we need. Firmly disagree with Porom.

2 Likes

For what its worth, I am not advocating Spellslinger make the spec more complicated - on the contrary, I did say that making Splinterstorm an active should come with making Nether Tempest a passive or something equivalent to eliminate a button and some complexity by proxy. The idea isn’t to make things more complicated or to be selfish about the burst damage profile (though I think wanting Arcane to not be burst orientated is the worst take ever), the idea was simply that the tree has no intrigue; the theme is lackluster, the gameplay is lackluster, and putting all your eggs into the aesthetic basket when it comes to throughput decisions is not wise historically.

I do disagree with the characterization of Arcane as a hard spec to play that I see often both here, on Reddit, and in other media. It has some sequences that require a bit of memorization to play as optimal as possible but overall you can play less optimally with a lot of simplifications, like not using macros and just queueing Arcane Barrage during Radiant Spark is not really that much damage lost, even in the worst cases (cleave/AOE).

My issue with Spellslinger as it stands is that it really doesn’t seem poised to change many, if any, behaviors we have, good or bad. It doesn’t really make things more complicated but it also doesn’t add any interest; why would I embrace this poor “hero” fantasy other than it just being tuned better than Sunfury when it likely changes little with gameplay at all; you’ll still AM>AB>AB outside of cooldowns and you’ll still play the same baseline talents. The least they could have done was tie this to an unused talent to provide some variance; change Radiant Spark, make AM proc splinters so you have a reason to fully channel it, make Illuminated Thoughts to interact with splinters so we actually have some benefit of pathing to Arcane Harmony.

The reality is that this tree is super risky in both being completely stale as we’ve been playing the same way since DF started, more or less, and in having no reason to want to actually pick it other than some graphical effects or tuning. I hate that people have focused on some relatively minor talking points in my article and missed the big picture of the tree being just uninspired all around, but to be fair to those people, I was on vacation when the tree released and maybe my article didn’t have the usual time to cook I typically give them.

All of this aside, we may get Alpha and see spells interacting and the Splinterstorms proc all the time and you’re just flooded with Clearcasting and I may love it for single target stuff. My opinions aren’t inflexible on things, but right now I just don’t see how Spellslinger brings anything at all to the table.

4 Likes

I think a lot of players conflate difficulty with nuisance. WoW is not a difficult game by design. There are no skill shots, platforming, complex dodge roll type mechanics or anything like that which requires incredible reflexes and superb muscle memory.

Any difficulty in WoW comes from boss mechanics, most of which are movement related, and which disrupt the normal gameplay loop. A player’s mettle is then tested with how well they can adapt their gameplay to limit DPS/HPS loss while responding to said mechanics.

The problem arises when certain rotations are so needlessly convoluted and bloated that any interruption, however minimal, disrupts the flow of combat to the point where too much DPS/HPS is lost and recovery isn’t possible.

Arcane’s rotation is one of the worst offenders in that regard hence it’s somewhat unwarranted reputation as a “difficult” spec. It’s annoying more than hard and presents the player with added challenges for little to no additional reward, especially when compared to its melee DPS counterparts. And like pretty much all 3 mage specs it’s rather dated, specifically due to the vestigial mana management gimmick and overemphasis on cooldown stacking.

2 Likes

Totally understood what u were aiming for in your article.

Arcane isn’t complicated (tho my guildies like to tease me that I must have a degree in quantum physics to play it).

It’s just overly bloated with damage modifiers that u cast in sequence for an insane ramp up only to set up 3-4 arcane blasts. I don’t find it engaging at all but thematically arcane is my bliss.

I miss missiles being impactful … probably why I went back to arcane this season after avoiding it all DF: that barrage of missiles from the tier set makes an old Legion Arcane Mage like me giddy.

Without seeing the visuals, having Splinterstorm as an active would be great … like when we had Mark of Aluneth. Problem right now is massive button bloat and no idea where I’d fit another spell on my overly macro’d bars.

On paper, this sounds like an awful idea. Like you said, both Frost and Arcane already have too much clutter on their bars between the 20 small defensives, and the 12 active rotational abilities. We simply don’t have room for this anywhere.

However - if they were to say, prune some abilities from both Frost and Arcane then having SS as an active would be quite amazing. Get rid of the majority of the stacking buffs for Arc, get rid of the bloat for Frost, and whittle the defensives down to just a handful with much shorter CDs. Hell, if they’re feeling adventurous they could even do something about Ray/GS/CmS and ease Frost more into a build/spend spec than whackamole.

But we all know they won’t make those kind of changes. Like the garbage talent revamp, they’ll pool all their resources into this new borrowed power mechanic in an attempt to “fix” classes, just like they have done since Legion. Why attempt to actually fix the classes at their base level when you can make the new shiny and whack that on your advertisements.

Is that not the entire point of these gimmick trees though? Provide shiny new passive abilities that don’t change your rotation in any way, and don’t fix the underlying problems with the specs? They’ll be “cool” and “interesting” for about 2 months after launch at a guess, then we’ll go back ignoring them and doing the same gameplay loop.

Just to clarify - this isn’t “borrowed power.” I don’t know if the term has just lost its meaning over time or what, but Hero Talents are permanent additions to the Talent Trees - which are also not borrowed power because they are permanent features of our classes.

I think the goal of the Hero Talents is to allow players to experience playing the fantasy of iconic archetypes within the Warcraft canon without shaking up our current rotations too much. They aren’t going away at the end of The War Within. They’ll probably receive further iteration as we go forward because they very specifically have abandoned the ‘Single Expansion Borrowed Power’ mechanic.

And you actually just contradict yourself in your last two paragraphs.

So what is your criticism here? Because you both think these trees are an attempt to “borrowed power” fix a class, but then in the very next paragraph admit the point is very specifically not to do that.

It’s important to provide feedback, especially if the feedback is critical - but don’t get lost on criticizing something if you can’t be coherent about it. You’re providing conflicting feedback and muddying the waters.

It’s not technically “borrowed power” because it’s not going away at the end of the expansion, at least that’s what we’re being told right now anyway, but it is in the exact same vein of borrowed powers past. What’s more, even though this new system has the “evergreen” tag I don’t see how they will keep from running into the exact same issue as previous iteration in that they can’t just keep adding another one of these with every new expansion.

Ultimately, they have to reconcile two diametrically opposing forces (1) the desire to give us something new with every expansion and (2) somehow keeping it from overwhelming the players and becoming a bloated monstrosity. I honestly don’t have a good solution to this but it’s definitely a problem and I understand why people are concerned over it.

1 Like

As far as I’m concerned, it’s borrowed power until it survives the expansion it was created in.

That’s a perfectly fine goal for Blizzard to set and I’m okay with that. However, if that was the goal, “Spellslinger” still falls wildly short of it. There’s nothing iconic about it. I’d rather take a small boost to my existing spells that take a hero tree that doesn’t change anything.

3 Likes

This, lol! I was trying to be more optimistic and give the benefit of the doubt but I’ve seen this movie too many times before and it’s a struggle not to be concerned about a repeat of the past.

I want to be clear about something: I don’t mind borrowed power. In all honesty, I think it can be a powerful tool to maintain a growing and evolving game - but only if done correctly.

Blizzard’s problem with borrowed power has been - in my opinion - that they don’t know where to stop. They come up with a good idea, then expand that idea over the expansion to the point where the borrowed powers make up more of a given spec or rotation than it did before the expansion came out.

Then when the expansion is over, they don’t keep the powers. So some of the really important concepts that made a spec are suddenly gone - because they’re weirdly afraid to keep the powers around - and it feels like a major setback to everyone because we’re starting again at square one.

The transition from SL to DF did something right - a lot of things we expected to be borrowed powers actually stayed with us. Maybe too many, actually… But it made that transition significantly smoother because a lot of the concepts we got used to over the last 2ish years were still with us.

The decision to create hero trees and decide they’re going to be evergreen before the players get to see them is a gamble. However, despite my disdain for the “spellslinger” they’ve come up with, I’m hopeful that it’s going to help make future transitions between expansions easier.

There’s also a part of me that suspects that the concept of hero talents might be evergreen, but the nature, theme, and style might change expansion to expansion. Perhaps if a tree isn’t popular enough, it’ll get totally scrapped in favor of a new one.

1 Like

Speaking of borrowed powers, before they announced the talent tree rework, I was hoping they’d give us a second MoP-Style talent tree (pick one of three from each row) just for borrowed powers expansion to expansion.

Something that would work kinda like Soulbinds did where you could collect a power, socket it into a certain slot, then have a flexible “quick change” set of talents that you could bounce between - forever. You liked last season’s 4-set bonus? Socket it and keep it. You liked a legendary power from 3 expansions ago? Socket it and keep it. The spec has changed and the 2 set that you’ve been rocking for a few years doesn’t work so well anymore? Swap it for something else.

Something like that would’ve been an interesting way to keep those powers around but still limit us to how many we could take. They could add a row for each expansion so we can keep one power per expansion at a time.

2 Likes

I guess I understand the hesitation, but Dragonflight is the first expansion with the stated goal “No More Borrowed Power” in the vein of artifact weapons, azerite armor, etc. Correct me if I’m wrong, but we aren’t leaving anything but gear behind with Dragonflight. The Talent Trees are still here. Hero Talents build upon them.

I don’t think Spellslinger is iconic at all, but that is my criticism of it. I’m not going to waste time calling it borrowed power when it explicitly isn’t.

I do share the concern that eventually classes will get bloated if they just continue to add and add and add. But I’ve seen it said elsewhere that maybe instead of adding vertical progression, Blizzard could try more horizontal progression. Increasing our options instead of increasing our power.

2 Likes

Until they decide it was either a failed system and remove it, or remove it at the end of the “3 expansion cycle”. Based on the last 20 years of development, there is no reason to assume these will stick around. Blizzard can, and probably will, remove these “permanent features” at some point or simply merge them with the current terrible talent trees.

Note the key word “attempt”. The criticism is that this is just the usual new shiny that Blizzard touts as a feature with each expansion. Whether it fits an individuals specific definition of ‘borrowed power’ is irrelevant, when the issue is that it’s just more of the same we’ve gotten for over a decade. Shiny new thing that they’ll use for flavour and to ‘balance’ (because they won’t actually balance specs) the classes, when the issues that the specs have had for the majority of WoWs lifespan go unaddressed. This is an empty feature under the guise of “class fantasy”, and in my opinion, doesn’t add anything to the game.

This. Remember how with the Cata trees they decided it was too much work to keep thinking of 3 new talents for each spec every 2 years? This will go the same way (also don’t forget they promised more frequent expansions when they announced WoD…) While we might get this feature for TWW, what are the plans for the next two expansions in that cycle? Do they add more to it, or are we left with a single (pointless) feature for 6 years?

That was one of my issues with the borrowed power systems in Legion, BfA and SL. The class/spec artefact weapons worked for the most part, and often added to or changed a rotation. We didn’t need the legiondaries added to that - those powers could easily have been incorporated into the artefact. Likewise, BfA and SL had too many compounding systems when one would have been sufficient if they needed to have one at all. Previous expansions worked fine in that regard, because rather than tweaks to power systems they tweaked the core gameplay.

To me that sounds almost like the original concept of glyphs (permanent ways to change a spell), or even similar to the SoD rune system. At the end of the day people would just min-max, but a system like that to add new abilities or change existing ones would be preferable to another bloated talent tree.

I’m 100% in favour of that. Given the specs are already getting bloated, and too complex for newer players (it’s been said many times that players shouldn’t have to spend hours on a 3rd party website to know how a rotation/talents work). I’d almost prefer to see more choice-nodes added rather than a new tree or additional points - give us more options, balance them properly, and give players choice.

3 Likes

This tree seems REALLY underwhelming at all.

Just some boring passive proc stuff…not thanks!

Please redo it completly around the perma-water-elemental and the arcane familiar and rename it Summoner or so.

That would bring us a total unique and NEW gameplay.
While the water-elemental could be enhanced with IV, the arcane-familiar could be enhanced by some arcane spell and bring some benefits to the arcane mage!

Please reconsider this dear Blizzard :slight_smile: !

I don’t like the Shifting Power talent at all. Its leftover from shadowlands and should of stayed in shadowlands. Tying it to Shifting Shards is a letdown and should be reconsidered. Being forced into a talent from the mage general tree for your arcane/frost hero talent breaks the theme.

1 Like

Seeing the splinter animations in alpha today. They look very dull and simple. Pretty disappointing. Hope they can improve and look more magical and interesting.

6 Likes

Oh man! I was worried about that. Has anyone posted a video yet? I’ve been checking but have only seen Sunfury showcases so far.

Saw some gameplay at Venruki stream.
Looked super boring for frost.

I watched a few streamers play with Spellslinger over the last few days.

I’m assuming that the visuals are just drafts and aren’t finished, like what the dev note said. The current visuals are abysmal, don’t sit well on the player, and don’t match the existing colour scheme at all for Frost. When the splinters are recalled and sit on you for a couple of seconds, it looks like you’ve got up to 13 Icicles, 5 nice ones as our normal Icicles and 8 ugly ones all squashed together hovering off to the side above your head. Ngl, it looks stupid.

From watching the gameplay and listening to the streamers’ feedback, Spellslinger offered no changes in how Frost played. Frost plays exactly the same as it does now but you just passively do the splinter mechanics and don’t need to think about it.

Overall, Spellslinger has been a huge disappointment to see in action. To me, it offers no exciting or engaging fantasy, has nothing to do with Mage lore, and offers no new gameplay changes. My Mage is looking to be benched again for another xpac, but lets hope the upcoming class and spec changes make an impact.

4 Likes