[FEEDBACK] Shadowlands Covenant Switching

There is no penalty involved. You just have to make whatever the progress is on the other covenant. I imagine once you do that though, you might be able to switch back and forth at will.

And no I don’t think DPS should be rewarded for staying with one covenant anymore than they are.

This would be awesome if it functioned this way.

But I think it’s going to cost not only to switch, but you’ll also have to regrind your way through acquiring all of those abilities within the covenant.

So your “reward” is derived from pushing others down? In particular, the people that are trying to help complete content by serving in the non-dps roles?

Let me guess…you’re going with the Venthyr for your covenant? Cuz that sounds pretty sadistic. I like that you’re willing to be open and honest about it at least.

Like a poor marksman, you keep missing the target. No, my getting something in return for doing something you don’t do isn’t pushing you down. Hey, you’re the one who brought up the whole “Wouldn’t you want to be rewarded?” thing, not me. It’s just obvious at this point that by reward you meant “gameplay irrelevant fluff”.

And as to this:

I will have multiple 120’s running, 3 or 4 depending on whether or not I want to run all of the Covenants through their entire story arc, and each will choose a Covenant and stay with it.

Isn’t that what I am saying ? Except I added if you earn them both then you can switch back and forth at will (well basically, not in the middle of a raid though not like that).

What do you mean “keep missing the target”?

I think I see what you mean though - but that doesn’t exist; and the reward you highlight innately puts others below you in terms of performance.

Nothing wrong with this view - it’s just more on the elitist side of things.

Kudos to at least being open and honest about it. I definitely get the idea behind enjoying being better than others and punishing others for not playing how I want to play - but I’ve grown long past that.

Either way - your sincerity is acknowledged.

No - you’re saying there’s no penalty.

But there will be a penalty the way they’re describing it.

If you could just earn your way through each covenant and then switch (like talents) then there would be no penalty.

But from my understanding, you’ll not only have to pay to switch, but also regrind through content you’ve already gone through.

What are you talking about???

I thought they said no to anything else aside from just regrinding.

I don’t think they confirmed either way - but time is money, so regrinding is still a penalty.

I will look it up once I am finished but I am pretty sure no to the penalty.

Actually I guess I won’t bother since everyone still wouldn’t be happy anyway but I am pretty sure it was right in the blizz con stuff.

How would this not be exactly punishing those switching?

Covenants now reward a mount at the end of the season/xpac - unless you switched, then you lose that mount.

This is exactly punishing a player for switching. I’d rather have to do a quest chain or spend some currency or something. Would be far less punishing.

Not getting something aesthetic is much different than being charged gold and time that goes and benefits Blizzard directly.

The idea is to avoid the latter by compromising with the former.

From WoW Head:
“Our current idea is that you can switch covenants although there is going to be a cost associated with it. However, you have to be in that covenant to use that covenant’s rewards: the abilities, the mounts, etc. It might be something that we can loosen up over time.”

Give me a link for wowhead I just looked there first and they said they didn’t have information on that.

Not getting something and being charged something is the literal exact same thing. Your opportunity cost is whatever you lose OR do not gain from an action relative to another action. Unless the mount you would earn is super garbo OR the cost in resources or time is ridiculous to switch, losing a mount is far worse than losing a little time or gold.

But to reiterate, there is absolutely no functional difference between denying a reward or adding a cost.

Ok thanks, that is more recent than where I was thinking of looking, although why I don’t know - that is 9 days ago.

This is what I read.

How to Change your Covenant
It has been confirmed that it will be possible to change Covenants if you find you dislike the one that you’ve chosen. However, this is unlikely to be a quick and easy process, as you will need to go through a lengthy period of proving yourself to your new Covenant. There are no details as yet, but think about the process from Burning Crusade of changing your alliance from Aldor to Scryer, or vice versa, and this may give you an idea of why it’s a good idea to think carefully about making your first decision. More information will be added as details emerge.

1 Like

Sure thing.

I cringe at the idea of charging - especially with how they handled Azerite traits.

I don’t care that the covenants have varying levels of impact on gameplay performance - provided that we can strategize our fights and encounters freely.

Otherwise - things like this should just steer clear of gameplay impact.

They just make too many kinds of content for any one path to be optimal all around. I don’t blame them for being able to balance things - it’s nearly impossible to do.

I would much rather get a reward than to charge others for just trying to help out. We have a tank and a couple healers that are constantly switching specs for our progression.

Also - I don’t think you understand what “literal” means.

Those 2 things are very different.

I’m on board 100% here. Essences are nice in how they work on “mains”.