Hello, just wanted to share a few concerns/possible solutions I have with Holy Paladin on beta right now. Some of this will be about tuning but that’s part of a larger issue. This information comes from raid testing, m+ dungeon testing, questing, etc. This will be a pretty long post.
1. Infusion of Light.
This was changed from Holy light getting reduced cast time and Flash of light getting increased healing to Holy light gets increased healing and Flash of Light gets a reduced cast time. This change is bad for a few reasons. It makes Infusion feel close to useless when using it on FoL, which is already a fast ability. On top of that, Flash of light heals for very little right now so having it be a slightly faster cast doesn’t help it much at all. For Holy light, its currently very weak outside of Infusion and as a 2.5 second base cast, we’ll almost never use it because of that. There’s nothing interesting there. I think Holy Light being a slow but very strong cast is actually fine, but Holy Light needs a base buff if thats going to be the case so its not only somewhat strong when Infusion procs, it needs to be a big heal baseline or we won’t even think about it. Currently, as you can see from raid testing (its still early but issues need to be pointed out) we almost never cast FoL/HL even with infusion. The reasons for that are what I just listed above.
- Buff Holy light baseline. Make Infusion buff Holy Lights healing and make Flash of Light instant cast. This will give us the choice between a slow inexpensive but very strong heal or a weaker expensive instant heal. Healing is situational and making choices like this is important, there’s already a few scenarios i can think of where this choice might add a little complexity if tuned properly. It’ll be hard to fully balance IoL especially for the future when more stats/gear may change things but i think this is a good step forward. 2. Make Holy light/Flash of Light generate holy power. This would allow these spells to be among our priority spells rather than an afterthought. 3. Alternatively, reverting IoL to what it was before is another option, I’d rather see something interesting done with it though.
2. If we have to leave melee at all, we’re extremely punished.
From Legion to BfA to SL, we’ve seen our melee healer role get further involved regarding the melee aspect. As of right now in BfA, its punishing to not be in melee, however we aren’t useless if we have to run out for something. Currently in SL, if we have to run out we can’t generate holy power aside from sitting there waiting for HS to come back up (8 second CD) which makes us unable to use a majority of our healing. Healing our beacon repeatedly with FoL/HL while were out of melee is a bad option and will hurt mana on long boss encounters. Being reliant on holy power generation is fine, being in melee is also fine but we need a good way to be able to generate from ranged if/when we have to move out of melee.
Possible Solutions: 1. As said earlier, make Infusion of Light also generate 1-2 holy power from Holy Light and Flash of Light. This will allow us to continue to use our holy power spenders even if we have to move out of melee. People have suggested this from the paladin discord a lot and I believe this change would make it a bit less punishing being forced out of melee. 2. Make Judgement generate 1 holy power. This is an obvious one and I’m not sure why judge doesn’t already do this, but it would essentially give us a small ranged hopo generator.
3. The Level 25 row.
Saved by the Light, Judgement of Light, Holy Prism. Those are the 3 talents on the level 25 row. Currently, they are all extremely weak in almost every circumstance. This is a tuning issue I’m aware, but holy prism has been put on the back burner for a long time (even back in legion beta when it was supposedly getting tuned but never really did). I’d like to see this row get some attention. I think tuning would pretty much take care of these issues.
General stuff I would like to see changed or added to the spec:
1. Add back Daybreak. This was a baseline passive that added good interaction between holy shock and holy radiance. ‘Everytime you casted Holy Radiance, your next holy shock would heal other allies near the target’. You can replace Holy Radiance with Light of Dawn/Word of Glory and this would bring interesting synergy between Holy Shock and our Holy Power spenders which we’re lacking at the moment.
2. Divine Purpose made baseline. I’m still undecided if this is something I’d really want, but it would add even more synergy between LoD/WoG/Holy Shock which are 3 main/important spells that currently lack any depth/synergy. This would allow you to proc LoD or WoG for free which would then activate Daybreak once you holy shock after using your free proc. This has the potential for really fun synergy, especially if you get 2 procs back to back. An example of how this might play out: HS>DP proc spent on WoG>HS buffed by daybreak>DP proc spent on LoD>HS buffed by daybreak>etc. This would make for a lot of interesting choice and fun interaction between abilities in my opinion.
3. LoD needs tuning. I just want to point this out so its hopefully known. LoD is extremely weak right now and the only holy power spender were using is WoG. WoG is in a good place, it’s a strong single target spender, but LoD needs a bit of love to be able to compete as an aoe spender. I know tuning isn’t done yet, just wanted to mention this as it is a big issue.