We have an issue with one of my players, I hope I will translate it well.

He actually does 15/16 M+ (and gets wyrm crests I think).
His stuff upgrades currently requires drake crests.

To get drake crests he should farm rare (slow and even nerfed recently have I heard), do 10/11 M+ (feels wrong), downgrade wyrm crests (feels even worse) or do the heroic quest (once per week).

How can we solve that ?

I really like the new upgrade system. The complexity isnā€™t as bad as it sounds when you actually just engage with the system in practise. The big graphs and tables made by many members of the community (and your explanation post itself) tend to overcomplicate something which is simply put: Do Content ā†’ Get Crests ā†’ Upgrade Gear.

A few things I would like to see changed:

• Currency tab exists for a reason, but you (Blizzard) have already posted that youā€™re provisionally looking at doing this for Season 3.

• I would like to see it possible to earn lower tier ranks once youā€™re capped. Making people feel incentivised to do content which is ā€˜beneathā€™ them isnā€™t too fun for a lot of people and also I think makes finding groups for people who should be in the 11-15 range harder, as now they are competing with people who are in their 430s who really should be doing 16s+. (Edit: I also know that youā€™ve posted about this as well!)

• I would also like to potentially see Whelpling Crests become Bind on Account. Being able to kit out a fresh character with enchanted whelpling crest gear would give a bonus to professions whilst also making my whelpling crests on my main not a complete waste of inventory space/5 gold.

• Implement into the base game the weakaura that exists to put in grey the possible upgrade levels of each crest and on gear. This isnā€™t included properly on all the tooltips by default. For example, the tooltip by default simply reads ā€œItem Level 424, 4/8 Championā€ - the weakaura I use has "Item Level 424, 4/8 Champion (415-437) which makes understanding what each rank is easier at a glance. Iā€™ve also seen the suggestion of using the crafting star system from 1-5 in addition to this. It also adds the item level brackets for each of the crests.

Hereā€™s an example of that weakaura (Imgur link): Item Level Tooltip Example

Overall, I vastly prefer this system over the former Valor upgrades. I didnā€™t enjoy hoarding Valor in case I made a wrong choice because it was capped, and when uncapped, I donā€™t think itā€™s a good gameplay experience to spam the easiest content in the ecosystem (+2s) to get (non vault) Best in Slot, so that being changed is healthy for the game.

2 Likes

There was a similar suggestion (now turned into an addon) on Twitter about adding the same quality icons from materials to the ranks (as well as the item level brackets), and it looked fairly clean. The names of the ranks and how they relate to quality are the one thing I would say isnā€™t super clear at the moment, and this would help clear it up some.

2 Likes

Here to add my opinions about the current systems and what can be improved moving forward (some might be repeated from earlier posts).

Things I like:

• An upgrade path for raid items
  • A reason to raid HC when normally doing M+ keys that give better gear
  • Unified system for all content (PvE)
  • A decent way to gear up through World Content (for those who donā€™t do m+/raid)
  • The ā€œfree upgradeā€ system where if you have a higher item level item available, you donā€™t need to pay with crests to upgrade.

Things that needs to be improved:

• Readability for new and returning players. The fact that I had to pin an image explaining which type of content gives which type of level of gear/fragment in our WoW Discord indicates that even veteran players have issues with this.

Things that could be improved:

• Crests and fragments being two things. Perhaps have a craft/upgrade cost 15 fragments and remove crests altogether?
  • Move above said solution to currency tab (looking forward to seeing the solution youā€™re working on)
  • As stated before, removes all incentive to do lower level content as it provides no benefit other than being helpful. Valor, as flawed as it was, did provide an incentive to help with lower keys.
  • Having the ā€œEnchantedā€ version of crests for crafting

Overall, my opinion is that this feels like a downgrade for those players who only play M+, an upgrade for raiders and a huge leap for Open World players. I look forward to seeing the future iterations of this system.

1 Like

Same thing weā€™ve all been saying tbhā€¦ once youā€™re maxed out on a level the keys should award the highest tier below you arenā€™t maxed on.

1 Like

My views align largely with whatā€™s been posted in this thread already. Though one thing Iā€™d like to nitpick is the Explorer/Adventurer/Veteran/Champion/Hero upgrade path separations. Iā€™d prefer a return to the ā€œrank x/20ā€ style pieces of gear. A breakdown for the crests could look something like this.

• Ranks 1-5: Whelpling crest
  • Ranks 6-10: Drake crest
  • Ranks 11-15: Wyrm crest
  • Rank 16-20: Aspect crest

The only foreseeable upside(?)/downside(?) would be the possibility of upgrading a world quest green all the way up to mythic raid item levels with this change. This one quality of life change would definitely be felt by m+ players who currently might be hovering around the cutoffs levels between adventure/veteran or veteran/champion keystones, opening up their reward paths.

Overall though, I do believe this upgrade system is a vast improvement, albeit with a bit of a steeper learning curve.

Are there any plans to be able to trade up in crests? For many players, the lower quality Whelpling & Drake crests have no use already (and many more players will be joining this grouping in the coming weeks) so it would be great to have a way - even if itā€™s ā€œexpensiveā€ to trade up lower quality crests into higher ones (In addition to the trade-down system that is already in place)

Iā€™m fine with it being as extreme as 5-1. At least then my 20+ drake crests would have a use.

2 Likes

Having lived with it for a bit now, it mostly feels like an fair and reasonable change. I fully agree that it would be nice to trade up crests as you eventually stop using the different ranks, but thatā€™s my only true ā€œcomplaintā€. I havenā€™t hit cap on any rank of crest yet, but Iā€™ve earned enough to keep pace with the rest of my raid team and feel like Iā€™ve never needed to grind.

Iā€™m not quite sure how a reset will look should the system continue into future seasons, but Iā€™d imagine it would be an easy fix such as flagging existing crests ā€œSeason 2ā€ similar to other season or patch exclusive currencies/items.

2 Likes

So now that Iā€™ve done a little bit more playing I wanted to again speak about the upgrade system. Iā€™ve had a chance now to play with it some more and I have to say man you guys absolutely killed it, I love it. At first I was overwhelmed with how many of the tokens there were and I was kind of confused but now that I have played and seen how it works, how simple it is (Doesnā€™t seem so at first glance.) and how rewarding I have to say that I am very happy. Thank you for continuing to lean into alt catchup mechanics. I LOVE how each token tells you where to go and get it when you hover over them in the upgrade window.

If there was anything negative I had to say it would be about it taking up bag space but thatā€™s already been said by a lot of people and I know itā€™s being considered to be moved to the currency tab.

Feedback - As of this moment the only thing I can think of would be if there was any way to make it a little bit easier to understand for the more casual people who donā€™t really look at youtube videos or read external websites. If I can think of anything else I will come back and edit my post.

Edit #1 - It feels kind of silly having 34 Whelping crests in my bags and not having anything to do with them, kind of wish I could do something with them - trade several of them for 1 of the higher ones up or maybe make these account bound?

Great job to the dev team, this is a huge W.

2 Likes

System is fine but have some visible flaws:

• Unused whelpling tokens since day 1 for characters with ~410-415 ilevel range.
  • Maybe make them BoA if you have X ilevel on any character on that account?
  • The same for each crest with ilevel breakpoints (max ilevel of that crest).

I know you maybe donā€™t want people to ā€œfarm gearā€ for other chars using a main, but on the other side, doing NM raid when you no longer are going to need drake crests is not fun.

Also, a ā€œbad luck protectionā€ should be added in form of tokens or currency for trinkets, like weapon tokens from Shadowlands first raid, Castle Nathria.
Being stuck with no trinket after farming FOUR (4) difficulties looking for that overtuned trinket is also not fun.

1 Like

This system is better than Valor.

The biggest problem with the system that I see:

• There still seems to be description problems with the effort:reward ratio for raiding compared to M+. M+ is just so much more accessible and spammable than raid, that raid gear outside of tier and trinkets is massively undervalued.
  • Its so much more efficient to chain run +17 than gear from heroic raiding.
  • M+ dungeon awards 2 pieces per 5 players (40% chance of getting loot per run) while raid awards 2 per 10 players (20% chance of getting loot per boss) AND raid has the weekly lockout while M+ is spammable.
  • Leaves little to be desired from Raid.
  • Leaves people who only like to raid weeks, even months, behind anyone who does M+

A potential problem:

• The pace of progression has been very very fast this season.
  • I was able to get KSM in week 2, and am nearly BIS by the end of week 3.
  • My guild progressing heroic Sarcareth in week 3, we expect to kill it week 4. Usually it takes us 6-8 weeks to clear heroic.
  • Going into week 4, my vault is already going to be at the point where I need to roll very specific upgrades, which histrionically hasnā€™t happened into weeks 6 or 7
  • This pace feels great now, but I worry that in a month or two, we will pay the price for getting everything too fast.
1 Like

I agree this is a major problem. As someone who only really does M+ as a means to progress further into raiding, itā€™s frustrating that my preferred method of playing is not the best way to gear for my preferred method of playing.

M+ has been the best way to gear for raid for several patch cycles now. I donā€™t think daily raid lockouts are the answer, but I think it needs to be addressed one way or another.

2 Likes

I noticed that in Loam there is an ability to buy drake and whelplings for an increasing amount of coins. Maybe allowing as time goes on the ability to add wyrms to this would be an idea. Or a way to use increasing amount of lower crests to purchase the next type of token.

1 Like

Wholeheartedly welcome this system with open arms! It truly permits even World Players from gainig an upper hand on the world without having to run raids.

BIGGEST CON:
Crests in Inventory. Flightstone cap is WAY too low, 2000/2000 is a cap Iā€™ve hit now 5 times even with upgrading my gear, since it was added.

THOUGHT/IDEA:
Permit us to achive other crests by turning crests into them (I know a vendor sorta does it, but not right)

5 x Whelplingā€™s Shadowflame Crest = 1 x Drakeā€™s Shadowflame Crest.
5 x Drakeā€™s Shadowflame Crest = 1 x Wyrmā€™s Shadowflame Crest.
5 x Wyrmā€™s Shadowflame Crest = 1 x Aspectā€™s Shadowflame Crest.

BIG PRAISE:
THE BIGGEST PRIASE FOR THE UPGRADE DISCOUNT IF YOU HAVE A PIECE BETTER ON YOUR CHARACTER, OR MAIN! <3

1 Like

Hey again!

Here are the things I did not like so far:

• You throw to us all content from first reset and then we only have the weekly quests plus one new questline that we can finish within a day for over a 2-3 months period. Better than before but still.
  • The cap for crests was extremely high for an average player. If someone wanted to be competitive enough or to keep up with their team members, then they had to get 150 wyrm and 150 aspect fragments. That is a total of 13 mythic+ timed below 16 and another 13 mythic+ timed above 16. This is very tough for an average guy who has time to push for 8-10 keys per week.
  • Having to go back to farm 15s for the first weeks when you already clear 17s-18s does not make any sense. Also spending the aspect crest to convert them to wyrm does not make any sense. What would make sense is to be able to buy an aspect crest with several wyrm crests.
  • Gearing. I am glad to see that mythic raid gear will be upgradable now to 447. I have two issues with how this is done. 1) Why not straight away, 2) Why not for the gear that was obtained through the start of the patch. Most of us we will not go back to farm the same gear. You are punishing us for clearing the first mythic bosses that way.
  • All my issues I think have to do with loosing the sense of progressing through content in a nice pace and progressing through raiding content in a nice way, but most of the people who enter mythic now are already fully geared and they only need very specific items which will be replaced again within the same tier due to the new upgrade system for raid items. You messed it up there again.
    Please donā€™t force us to have to rush through things. Gives us a nice pace.

Thanks for reading!

2 Likes