UPDATED July 15
In this thread, we’re discussing all aspects of the Kyrian Covenant systems coming in World of Warcraft: Shadowlands.

Read more about the Kyrian Covenant in our July 10 blog update.

April 9

Read more about the Kyrian Covenant in the World of Warcraft blog.

This initial post will be updated periodically throughout the Shadowlands test. Please check back here for information about further updates to this Covenant as they are made.

Thank you for your testing and feedback!

The druid covenant to share an ability with an ally feels lack luster if you are soloing. Maybe add something - even if it is not as strong that will give a minor boost when soloing.

17 Likes

I’ll go so far as to say it’s not even memorable. If I happened to have used the spell I don’t notice it giving me any benefits. And if I didn’t use it I don’t miss it. I think that sentiment says everything it needs to. I get the impression we’re trying to bring back a bit of a Symbiosis flair for Druids in SL? May want to re-think it somewhat?

7 Likes

The warlock ability is clunky and doesnt really feel worth the cast time. If it was a dot I could get behind adding it into my rotation but for something that feels like it takes ages to cast the payoff really isn’t worth interrupting your rotation for. (playing on demo) The 5 soul shards is kinda eh as well.

3 Likes

The Kyrian rogue ability is rather interesting, but I have a (somewhat minor) concern that it would get worse with gear.

Playing as mut in even the green template gear, it’s pretty easy to overshoot the Echoing Reprimand number due to the extra combo points from Seal Fate. As our crit goes up through the expansion, combo generation will become more volatile.

Granted, we could always use Poison Knife if we need one point right away, but I’m not sure how efficient that would be.

Is anyone having trouble completing the quest. Newfound Power. I have tried several times and it does not acknowledge that i’ve use my ability on Athanos. I am able to click the ability and then it changes my Mind Flay to Ascended Blast and i use that on Athanos…but then when i go to click the other ability it won’t let me. I have tried several times… frustrating

so far ive enjoyed this covenant i think the diffrent spells for eatch class is pritty neat it should be that way so that everyone has a diffrent ability along with what they can do and im excited to see what comes in the futer

The monk covenant ability Weapons of Order feels awkward to cast most of the time, having a 1.5 second GCD when the rest of the monk kit is capped at a 1 second GCD. This is especially apparent with Wibdwalkers, who have three different GCDs to wait through before actually doing damage with this ability. I would argue in favor of removing it from the GCD, given its supposed to allow back to back ability casts, but reducing it to 1 second for Windwalkers and Brewmasters would be less awkward at the very least.

4 Likes

The one for mages doesn’t feel all that good. It’s a cast that we have to waste and I’m pretty sure other sources of damage soak it, not our main spell. I am find with it being a global cd, but make it instant cast at least.

Having had a chance to play Revendreth, I can say that the attack ability of the Kyrian to be pretty balanced for mages. The second ability seems similar although I have to say I haven’t taken the chance to try it.

For the Priest ability, specifically Shadow, it replaces Mind Flay with Ascendant Blast. Generally, the whole mechanic of Shadow is to stay in Voidform for as long as possible. Mind Flay is Shadow’s filler spell and generates 12 insanity over the course of the channel; however, Ascendant Blast generates absolutely no insanity. This makes the whole rotation clunky as we are now waiting for Ascendant Blast, Shadow Word: Void, or Voidbolt to be off cooldown and we are left stuck doing nothing while generating no insanity.

3 Likes

The Hunter ability feels like it would be great in arena to get people trying to LoS you with a pillar, and I’m struggling to think of any other scenario where it would be worthwhile. I guess the bonus crit is nice, but I had issues attempting to use it in the world without mobs just moving outside the area of effect.

The Steward is great though, both the draught and the convenience of summoning a vendor/mailbox/etc.

Edit: (much later) The Steward is thematically great and it is convenient, and having a health potion is nice, but it doesn’t even come close to the usefulness of the other Covenant abilities.

4 Likes

The Kyrian Covenant ability for Priest is Boon of the Ascended:

Draw upon the power of the Ascended for 10 sec, granting you access to Ascended Nova, replacing [Mind Flay, Smite] with Ascended Blast, and increasing movement speed by 50%. Upon expiration, releases an Ascended Eruption: Explode for Arcane damage to all enemies and healing to all allies within 15 yds, increased by 3% for each stack of Boon of the Ascended.

This ability has a lot going on, but I’ll start with my obvious pain point as a Shadow Priest…this has absolutely no synergy with Voidform or Shadow, and if anything is detrimental to the specs fundamental idea. If the goal with Shadow Priest is to maintain Voidform, and generate stacks for ramping damage, why do I have an ability that requires me to LOSE my insanity “filler” in addition to not gaining any insanity whatsoever for 10s? This ability seems to be designed around Discipline and Holy Priest, but doesn’t feel like the design considered Shadow whatsoever.

From a different perspective, if I was a healing main and chose to take this Covenant ability, I would have no idea how to fit this in as a Shadow Priest, it just makes no sense. Because Covenants are locked by character and not by spec, this just feels like a trap ability for anyone that would want to use this for Discipline/Holy, but also wanted to play Shadow.

10 Likes

I did not enjoy the Kyrian spell (Radiant Spark) for Arcane Mage at all. Others in this thread have mentioned that it feels clunky and that certain spells seem to soak the effect. I’m praying that Kyrian won’t be BiS for raiding both because the covenant itself lacks personality and the additional ability just doesn’t feel good to cast.

I’m hoping this ability just gets scrapped for something more interesting because at the moment it feels very underwhelming.

3 Likes

For Shamans we get Vesper Totem

Summon a totem at the target location for 30 sec. Your next 3 damage spells or abilities will cause the totem to radiate Arcane damage to up to 6 enemies near the totem, and your next 3 healing spells will heal up to 6 allies near the totem.
Casting this ability again while the totem is active will relocate the totem.

This ability is quite fun, feels impactful, and the animation and theme fits Shamans really well. Being able to relocate the totem and still do damage/healing without having to run to that position yourself is a great bonus.
My issue with the Covenant is not with the Shaman ability, but with the general Kyrian ability: Summon Steward. This has niche uses at best, and it’s on a 5 minute cooldown, so picking Kyrian over one of the other covenants really only feels like you gain 1 ability instead of 2, and this creates a dilemma for shamans specifically because 1) Vesper Totem plays nicely for all the specs and feels impactful, and 2) some of the other Shaman-specific covenant abilities (like Chain Harvest) feel horrible, but you really want to be able to take the Door of Shadows teleport. None of the Shaman-specific covenant abilities feel great across all 3 specs except for vesper totem, but you also only get Summon Steward instead of awesome movement abilities or a giant shield.

4 Likes

Boon of the ascended is a great addition to the toolkit of disc priest. The spell has great synergy with the ramping playstyle, as well as abilities like Power Infusion and Evangelism.

Boon also feels great to use with the variety of other cooldowns disc already has. It’s easy to keep ascended blast on cooldown while maintaining the cooldowns on the other cooldowns disc has (something that shadow priest suffers with).

I suppose the core problem with boon for disc is the power level. The other covenant spells like unholy nova do not perfectly fit into the 90 second ramp windows or just are not as strong in the case of mindgames and fay blessings. Perhaps it is a good idea to just remove some of the mechanics of the ability for disc. Even if the ability was nerfed by 50% i’m pretty confident disc would default to boon 99% of the time.

For this covenant to work as a priest, specifically a shadow priest, this ability needs to have both abilities generate insanity. Turning off your current class priorities to kind of enter a “different class” mode really takes away from the fun of this ability for me personally.

If both the abilities generated insanity (So I could maintain my voidform while inside my ascended form - that would be a fun thing to do)

One big critique of this ability is the nova ability is essentially melee range. I’m not sure why this was decided, shadow priest has two covenant abilities with short range - standing close to the mobs as a ranged caster is not the fantasy I signed up.

6 Likes

For Shaman, Vespyr Totem is pretty neat. Easy to use, reasonable cooldown, fun interactions with the soulbinds. No notes, good stuff. Really appreciate that relocating the totem is off the GCD.

Most of my feedback regarding the Bastion covenant is the pretty lackluster Covenant signature ability. Probably my biggest hangup is the fact that this is likely the only Covenant ability that is restricted to being used only once per combat. A measly 15% heal is definitely not big enough or important enough to warrant only being able to use it once per combat. If we could simply remove that single restriction, it would go a long way toward making this covenant ability feel anywhere close to on-par with the other signature abilities, because at it stands it feels resoundingly “meh”

6 Likes

Agree with the signature ability feedback. Feels under tuned and very restrictive with only one use per combat phase.

2 Likes