(Bestmlspa) #221
Blizzard,

PVP IE's are incredible...until siege engines happen. Those things completely ruined this new great mini game.

The last game i was in turned into a siege engine vs seige engine battle? For heavens sake, how could such an incredible mini game be ruined so foolishly.

(Ticky) #222
How is joining a PVP expedition thats already in progress a thing... That is the the dumbest thing ive seen and ive played wow since release.... GJ blizz

(Roninkhazad) #223
09/02/2018 12:23 AMPosted by Bestmlspa
Blizzard,

PVP IE's are incredible...until siege engines happen. Those things completely ruined this new great mini game.

The last game i was in turned into a siege engine vs seige engine battle? For heavens sake, how could such an incredible mini game be ruined so foolishly.

I agree all the way. I've refused to play Island Expeditions this week because of the TANK. I will be skipping All weeks that this thing is in the rotation. Thanks blizzard for Squating in your own product yet again :(

(Glath) #224
I just find IE's incredibly boring for what they are. It's basically just a TDM without any real thought behind it.

Guess it would be more interesting if 5 people could queue and it would act more like a MOBA in the end. Have some real purpose other than what is currently involved. Not saying that's a good idea but the mode could be revamped to something more interesting and actually challenging.

All in all it feels too rudimentary, monotonous and shallow. And I am forced to do them weekly for the Azerite..

(Jerrolyn) #225
Being matched into losing expeditions... Does this really gotta be a thing? If the team is 2000 behind and one of the people is disconnected, is matching me into that group really gonna help turn things around? Put me in a fresh group please, don't waste my time.

(Crypticfox) #226
Honestly I think my enjoyment of them would be much higher if three things happened:
  • More/better rewards. Seriously, there's nothing outside of a quest telling you to do 4-5 for the week. Rewards are so bad I feel like I'm wasting my time by doing any more than that.
  • The opposite faction AI need more abilities. Placed abilities on the ground you need to avoid, sweeping cone attacks in front of them, more/more interesting crowd control, etc. It feels like I'm fighting a regular mob that just jumps around some because fights against them don't vary at all. They do nothing that changes the way you play.
  • Tougher mobs that patrol looking to kill players. Maybe the opposite faction AI can be more aggressive instead of this?
As it stands I feel we need something to vary up the gameplay. Blizzard has a solid framework to make something really fun out of it but right now they're just a monotonous chore.

It feels to me like Blizzard was too afraid of the average player dying once or twice in it due to not understanding something and then quitting or getting frustrated so they kept it very straightforward and bland. Or maybe there just wasn't enough dev time put into it, who knows.

I do hope that even if the devs scrap the island expeditions in the future, that they keep improving upon the AI. As I stated previously, it could be really promising if they add more abilities to it to vary up fights, opening up some really fun possibilities in other content.

(Mysteré) #227
feedback: Find a way to guide people to the pre-requisites. 2 enemy campaigns are required before the Island Expedition tutorial quest will be available, and this is not apparent.

I kept hearing about Island Expeditions and people kept saying 'the table' when I'd ask... Had no idea what they were talking about. Checked wowhead for the coords and screenshot. THERE IS NO TABLE THERE.

After much frustration I submitted a ticket, and the help ticket system guided me to a brief article that hinted at the pre-requisites. To open the Island expedition table, you not only have to be 116, but you must have completed two enemy campaigns.
Which I did not do -yet-because I didn't fancy going to Zandalar in war mode.
So I have lost out on an early advantage of the Island Expeditions because the enemy campaign table did not include information that they were a necessary pre-requisite for the Island Expedition table to appear.

So my suggestion is, a quest with Flynn at the Island Expedition table location, and he says 'Ill have something for you here after you do 2 enemy campaigns, go see the enemy campaign NPC'
Something so you don't miss out on the advantage just because you didn't know you HAVE to do 2 enemy campaigns first.
Thanks! loving the expac, have always loved the game.

(Moonpony) #228
Honestly I think my enjoyment of them would be much higher if three things happened:
  • More/better rewards. Seriously, there's nothing outside of a quest telling you to do 4-5 for the week. Rewards are so bad I feel like I'm wasting my time by doing any more than that.
  • The opposite faction AI need more abilities. Placed abilities on the ground you need to avoid, sweeping cone attacks in front of them, more/more interesting crowd control, etc. It feels like I'm fighting a regular mob that just jumps around some because fights against them don't vary at all. They do nothing that changes the way you play.

• I wish people would stop asking for handouts, they already buffed the drop rate on items after finishing these once, and they are a pretty lucrative source of ap.

I dont know about you, but since the buffs to the enemy team to discourage camping them, they do pack quite a wallop (on mythic), and most can kill you fairly easy if you aren't careful.

They do have abilites that you have to avoid or it can and probably will kill you.

As for varied CC, each team has cc that they use almost exclusively except for stuns, most teams have some form of a stun. For the alliance, the horde team has the Taurens which spam slow, the Trolls which give hex and curse, the engineers which stun and fear, the blood elves which stun and disorient, the nightborne team which also stun and slow, and finally the pirate team (which i like to refer to as the ex-glad team since they can chain-cc pretty well together). I don't know what more you are looking for, CC is really solid, and sometimes downright frustrating ( the damn pet stun from the pirate team) to avoid.

(BlackhÔrn) #229
    Island expeditions were almost a huge success, but they fell flat mostly based on overall goal. The two biggest problems are: rewards, and speed.

Most of my friends hate islands because they feel like a requirement. The amount of AP from the weekly quest is just too much to be ignored, so they have to grind them out every week. But they don't get any rewards besides a number, so it feels like a chore.

I guess they thought people love speed runs, because of Mythic+, so they made islands a race. But the whole point of islands was supposed to be exploration. You can't explore, find treasures or random exciting events, if you speed run the island in five minutes. The special AI was kind of a waste, because the existence of the other faction racing you for AP is what ruins the island experience.

My solution would be to change rewards and change the pace. For pacing, I would remove the other faction from the island (except for PVP islands which could still be a thing for people that enjoy that) and add harder bosses. Like dungeon bosses, basically, or events that act as bosses like waves of pirates from a ship or something. Every island would have three treasure chests, but you don't know where they are, so you have to explore to find them. There could also be random events that pop up that reward you with a specific pet or mount or transmog or whatever.

As far as rewards, doubloons or some other currency should be attained from most mobs on the island, from small treasure chests, or large amounts from the three big chests. Each big chest has one big reward, which includes: a token that gives you a random 325/340 item for your spec, 500 gold, a big stack of doubloons, a rare pet, a mount, 500 AP, a transmog set, and maybe more I'm not thinking of. These rewards would also be purchasable from a vendor with doubloons, as well as items that give you buffs in islands, with the buff items being the cheapest and mounts being the most expensive.

(Maizou) #230
    I've done almost 50 expeditions across 2 toons, both normal and heroic (I don't feel comfortable doing mythic), and still have yet to see anything except Azerite and Dubloons drop.

Something really needs to be done about the drop rates in these.

Especially since I'm a pet collector, and there's TWENTY EIGHT PETS to collect.

Or please for the love of god, add the pets to the Dubloon vendor. ESPECIALLY SINCE SOME OF THEM CAN'T BE CAGED

(Sazalla) #231
    So we've done a few more and the drop-rate is still abyssmal. AP rate is fine but the pets/mounts need some kind of boost. No one here is asking for a handout despite some folks insistence to the reverse. I and I know a ton of others were not here to do Expeditions for the AP... there are literally tons of better ways to get AP that are a lot more fun.

So again maybe either up the drop rate or maybe let us spend the doubloons on pets and mounts? :D

Oh and as for the AI... some groups are easy to defeat but look out if you get the gnome group with mechanicals... their tank rides around on a mount :O and they have a heal bot... very annoying! :)

(Aubrei) #232
    This is a great source of Artifact Power. Artifact Power makes my character a little more strong. It is necessary.

All the above is completely true, and that's all fine, but Artifact Power alone is NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE THIS WORTH WHILE.

I'm not asking that you hand me pets and mounts but I should at least get SOMETHING worth while at least once every 1 or 2 island expeditions. This is.. like doing a week's worth of work and being LUCKY if you get a paycheck. THAT IS NOT OK!

At this rate: You're going to get the million Azerite achievement WAAAAY before you ever get the 28 pets that you need for the achievement.

(Caféaulait) #233
    My only complaint for the island expeditions is that the invasions shouldn't be happening at 8500 or 11000 etc.. basically right toward the end. Tis a shame to not see all the invasion rares or the special portals etc that you can access because heroic/mythic can be done so quickly with a well equipped team.

I've gone through 1 mogu portal and killed the rare in there but we were already at 8700, that 1 chest finished the IE and didn't really feel rewarding.

09/07/2018 01:12 PMPosted by Sazalla
    So we've done a few more and the drop-rate is still abyssmal. AP rate is fine but the pets/mounts need some kind of boost. No one here is asking for a handout despite some folks insistence to the reverse. I and I know a ton of others were not here to do Expeditions for the AP... there are literally tons of better ways to get AP that are a lot more fun.

So again maybe either up the drop rate or maybe let us spend the doubloons on pets and mounts? :D

Oh and as for the AI... some groups are easy to defeat but look out if you get the gnome group with mechanicals... their tank rides around on a mount :O and they have a heal bot... very annoying! :)

You should've been focusing down the "healer" aka dina.

(Ajhian) #234
    Deserter debuff on these Expeditions is REALLY frustrating to get when the games last around 8-13 minutes, yet the debuff locks you out for a whopping 30 minutes...

(Hohenheim) #235
    Congrats, you've turned wow into a shallow mobile game. This was interesting the first 3 or so islands. Got really REALLY dumb after that.

Not fun. That simple. I dont know how you guys went from Legion to this.

(Joeygiggles) #236
    Rewards - Azerite beyond cap isn't enough to continue to do Islands. The misc. awards are to low of a drop rate, Doubloons would be a sufficient way to possible purchase pets,mounts, and etc. however what they are used for don't really contribute to the Island very much, which leads to my next point.

Time - Disclaimer: Have only done Normal and Heroic. To fast. Heroic Islands can be as quick as 5 minutes with reports even under that. Using a Doubloon to buy a shield or health buff does nothing but make sure you do not die and can finish quicker. Having Islands scale with gear like the Open World or buff the Mobs would much improve this and allow them to actually last a bit longer so we can see the events at the 10 minute mark. This reminds me of the AoE zerg fests in Wrath dungeons.

AI - There isn't to much of an issue with this that I have experienced. I have had some interesting encounters where I was chased or even had them retreat because we were able to control an area and push them out. However there have been sometimes where they do seem to "feed" and don't stop. Not sure if thats intended as a distraction so players have to deal with them and not collect azerite. They should also not reward as much Azerite as they do, would suggest cutting it down a bit more or even all together.

Final Thoughts - Like many others I do have my concerns with how BFA is currently coming along. With Islands there is a lot of potential to make these much more enjoyable as repeatable content but right now even only after a few weeks, I find myself starting to struggle with finding enjoyment.

(Gaalaas) #237
    Literally no reason to do them. So I do my five a week and stop. And doing those five are an hour-long chore that is very stupid and unfun.

I have no idea why you removed scenarios from Pandaria. If this is the replacement or the "next level," you need to revert what made them good in Pandaria.

Repeatable content that isn't tied to the traditional tank/healer stuff is good and MUCH needed. However, this misses the mark terribly.

It doesn't matter what island I'm on, it's the same content. Same objective, same, repetitive thing over and over and over and over.

I have not gotten one extra drop. I have done around 50 across two toons.

It's just executed poorly.

(Lughnasadh) #238
    I have lost count of how many of these I have ran now. However, I have over 300k azerite collected for the Azerite Admiral ach. So far, I have gotten 1 mog item, 3-4 rep tokens, and 1 AP quest item. I was looking forward to these in the beginning for the mount/pet/toy rewards. However, after the extremely low drop rates, I have given up. I will only run IEs now for the weekly quest on 1-3 (current 120s). After that, I am done until reset.

That being said, I do not expect a reward from every single one, but giving a 1% drop rate (so it seems - no idea what it really is) makes it not worth doing. Not to mention having the "I'm Here for the Pets" ach as part of the meta is frustrating. Especially considering that all pets must be looted on a single character to count for the ach. This makes the meta near impossible to complete for someone that is on RNGesus's bad side (me).

(edit - realized I had a typo)

(Rakknarr) #239
    I don't even see doing IEs for the weekly as worth my time anymore. They're that boring.

(Chaaka) #240
    Problem I have with IEs is that they just arent much fun.

I was hoping for an adventure type experience like Wc3 where you scout around through the fog of war and find cool stuff......

--Maybe some retired pirate crew that you could hire for 20 dubloons as bodyguard/hired muscle.

--A drop from a mob that turns you into a badass colosuus for 10 min

--An item that calls in airstrikes from a dragon/dragons to wreck the enemy teams ship reducing azerite collection by 15%

--Summon iks-regeed from his cave on the broken shore to infiltrate and steal azerite from enemy ship.

--Find an orc bladedancer hiding in a cave who will go assassinate the enemy team. Repeatedly.

--find an artifact weapon @ ilvl 9000 that you can use for 5 min

But nope, theres no time to explore and enjoy IEs. Just round up mobs and AOE them down,mine some nodes, or else you will lose.