If it’s not useful, then why even have it?.. Why even make it a learn ability? It just sets the player up for failure… This logic makes no sense, when in the context of losing Death Chakram, which was an optional talent to begin with… Now, we gain steady shot, forcibly…

Seriously, like what are we talking about here? None of this logic makes sense…

Had they replaced Death Chakram with steady shot, by dissolving that power into steady shot, this conversation likely wouldnt be happening.

But people, like myself, are upset and confused because we lost one ability for two lesser ones, and one is a learned ability and not optional…

It feels like a miss guided removal of an ability, and nerf to our overall damage.

1 Like

I mean, you’re the one that is unwilling to see factual information… I sighted my sources, and I’m sitting in beta right now, looking at the talent tree’s…

If you’re unaware of how the new talent tree’s work, and how Steady Shot has been reworked, clearly you haven’t logged into beta, or looked at any of the changes.

So that’s on you, not me.

2 Likes

Im not sure where everyone is getting that Implosive Trap replaced Death Chakram. Death Chakram was replaced by Blackrock Munitions (a passive) and Im pretty sure they even say as much in the blue post.

Implosive Trap being added as a choice node onto something thats already an active ability isn’t them “adding more bloat” or whatever. If its not useful in the content you do then you don’t take it, just like you were already not taking Explosive Trap. Its adding functionality for people that actually do different types of content. Its far from useless as some of you seem to think it is.

4 Likes

this is something they started doing in SL. people thought it felt weird that the moment we pick a spec, we just forget half of the spells we knew before–so they turned things like hunter’s steady shot, warlock’s corruption, etc into class spells rather than spec-locked spells

imo having these spells doesn’t really add anything gameplay-wise, but for most players it doesn’t hurt either. could a brand new player be confused into keeping steady shot on their bars as BM or SV? probably. is that a problem? maybe, but imo it’s not a particularly big one. anyone looking to continue playing and move into more difficult content is probably going to read their spells and realize, “hey wait a second, this spell doesn’t do much damage and has no mechanical bonuses…”

4 Likes

You’d certainly hope so, but apparently not.

3 Likes

Because Implosive Trap is located in the same spot that Death Chakram was, in the general talent tree.

Also, I cannot find in the blue post where they said that Blackrock Munitions replaced Death Chakram, all they said, is that it’s a passive talent, which makes explosive shot do 8% more damage… I cannot find anywhere where they said this is a direct replacement. But if we have a source for it, I am all ears, share it away, because I would be interested.

However, if this is really what is replacing Death Chakram… Thats just, odd? I guess… Doesnt really feel like a replacement

While I’m digging the update to Bloody Claws on paper that increases Mongoose Fury duration, I’m finding hard to measure it’s value given the Mongoose Bite revert also decreased the base duration of the ability to 10 seconds (from 14).

So essentially bloody claws is more or less taken to get the old base duration…

I’m assuming the change to 10 second duration on MF is a bug, since none of the notes called out that specific change.

Hoping this is the case, otherwise MB becomes pretty low value by itself with that small of a window.

I think once this is fixed, Bloody Claws becomes a lot more useful to fill in the rotation.

2 Likes

Calling this a knee-jerk reaction when the immediate outcry was near-unanimous is wildly disingenuous.

The now-reverted change to cause Flanking Strike replace Kill Command every 4 casts was mechanically problematic and unnecessary.

5 Likes

Yeah, I think this is a bug. It would be nice to see confirmation either way

1 Like

My bad, after looking at the Dev Notes from when it happened it isn’t explicitly stated, however the nodes for Explosive Trap and Death Chakram swapped places. In the first iteration of the class tree put out 21 days ago Explosive Trap node was directly below Explosive Shot (where Blackrock Munitions is currently) and Death Chakram still existed as the capstone. Then in the updated the following week, 14 days ago, is when they removed Death Chakram, created Blakcrock Munitions and then swapped the location with Explosive Trap to where it currently is.

For what its worth I think that Blackrock Munitions is in a better spot now however Explosive / Implosive Trap as a capstone is pretty underwhelming.

Agreed, it doesnt feel good at all

Real shame, too lol… I was really looking forward to see’ing that source if you had it

No it does not!.. In the War Within Beta you have to spec for it, in the new Marksman Tree… As a base line, steady shot generates no focus, unless you spec and spend talent points for “improved steady shot” which then allows it to generate 10 focus on cast. I’m literally logged into the beta, right now, LOOKING RIGHT AT IT.

In DF, Steady Shot is a baseline Hunter ability that all 3 specs have.

It serves no functional or rotational purpose for Survival or for BM and neither of these specs ever use it.

Marksmanship, in DF has a talent called Improved Steady Shot. In TWW this talent is still in the tree for MM.

I admit that Steady Shot, as it stands in DF and in the TWW Beta, is illogically implemented into the game. It should be a Marksmanship-only ability, with focus generation built in baseline, that is given at level 10 when selecting the MM spec, just as either Kill Command is granted to BM or Survival when those are selected.

Please make sure you check your information before you attempt to take a swing at someone else on the forums, especially someone who puts so much work into making the Hunter class as complete as it can be.

6 Likes

Unless I am miss guided, I cannot find steady shot in my spell book for Beast Mastery, when logged into my Dragonflight (retail) hunter. I’ve looked in all three tabs, General, Hunter, and Beast Mastery tabs, I cannot find steady shot anywhere.

In a sense this is what I am getting it.

In retail, steady shot is only available to Marksman, and Survival. Beast Mastery does not get steady shot… Again, I cannot find it, in my spell book anywhere

Importantly though, In “The War Within” beta, Steady Shot is now given to Beast Mastery

This is correct however, as it stands, it serves no purpose… MM is the only spec, as of now, where it makes sense.

Edit to this: and I’ve given a reply.

Steady shot, is replaced by Cobra shot, when the player spec’s as Beast Mastery in Retail. Thats why Beast Mastery doesnt have it… Cobra shot, in retail is the first talent (skill) a beast master acquires, it’s a required talent that the player must take to unlock the talent tree for all the other nodes to unlock… Functionally however, Beast Mastery hunters do not get steady shot in retail, only Marksman and Survival hunters do.

However, in “The War Within” beta, all 3 specs now have steady shot, and it’s not replaced by something else.

1 Like

OHHH I see… I see… Steady shot, is replaced by Cobra shot, when the player spec’s as Beast Mastery in Retail. Thats why Beast Mastery doesnt have it.

Sad they reverted the msv changes. While they were not perfect, they were at least change and could have been modified in the future. Now blizz wont touch them for another xpac while msv suffers.

The Survival changes that were reverted this build were reverted for the good of the spec.

The FS change had various problematic elements, and the Mongoose Fury change had little impact.

These things being reverted is a positive. The version that Flanking Strike was reverted to was itself a change from how the spell works on live, and a very good one at that.

4 Likes

I think you’re confused? They didn’t revert the rework at all. They reverted the Flanking Strike passive version to the active spender which is preferred.

1 Like

Can we make Beast master Hunter do some decent damage in pvp please? It feels like pets aren’t doing anything. Meanwhile Fury warriors are chunking 4-5mil health in 1-2 globals. Please buff beast master

1 Like

Implosive trap replaced Steel Trap which is an even more useless button (Ice trap with minor damage) than DC. Finally having an AoE stop is absolutely massive for Hunters in M+ as the only classes lacking one (Besides maybe rouge/DH Meta). DC has 0 interaction with the hunter kit, was bearly was a focus generator, and a minor damage amp. Good riddance. The poor developers have to once again filter through bad takes and arguing between Hunters to find meaningful feedback. I’ll leave the conversation at that as I don’t want to add to the spam.

On that note, the Bloody Claws change is good. I originally proposed that MB increased the MF window by ~1 sec. While I’m not crazy about another KC interaction, I suppose it works (with the benefit of every MB being guaranteed to be buffed by Tip) while hitting 2 birds with one stone as the former Bloody Claws was never worth talenting into. My slight concern is how MB has basically now turned into a 2 talent node while still not being dramatically stronger than RS and it’s still competing with every other spell in the window. RS and MB need a ~25-35% buff to be more relevant in ST since everything is increased by our mastery now.
The Mongoose Fury window has remained at 10s (from last week) instead of being reverted to 14s, hopefully, this is a mistake/bug as it was not mentioned in the blue post.

Implosive trap being changed from 1.5m to 1m is a very welcome change. It just leaves us lacking a viable raid buff in both raid and M+.

I see 3 possible solutions - Hunter’s Mark should increase damage for the first and last 20% by 5% and has a 20y or larger radius as well. It’s awkward trying to tab target to the priority mob in M+ and currently, by the time you do apply Hunter’s Mark, the mob already is below 90% HP which devalues it in M+ significantly while taking up a GCD to apply it. Yes, I know it should be applied prior to combat but that isn’t always an option with chain-pulling tanks/dungeons. Furthermore, Hunter’s Mark is meaningless on encounters that start below 100% health or have thresholds like Razageth Phase 1 that devalue the buff to a progression tool more than a buff.

T̶h̶e̶ s̶o̶l̶u̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ I̶ p̶r̶o̶p̶o̶s̶e̶ t̶o̶ H̶u̶n̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ s̶y̶n̶e̶r̶g̶i̶z̶e̶ w̶i̶t̶h̶ M̶+̶ g̶r̶o̶u̶p̶s̶, a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶i̶n̶g̶ t̶h̶e̶m̶ t̶o̶ p̶r̶o̶v̶i̶d̶e̶ a̶ g̶r̶o̶u̶p̶ b̶u̶f̶f̶ d̶e̶p̶e̶n̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ o̶n̶ t̶h̶e̶ t̶y̶p̶e̶ o̶f̶ p̶e̶t̶ t̶h̶a̶t̶ t̶h̶e̶y̶ h̶a̶v̶e̶ o̶u̶t̶ -̶

• F̶e̶r̶o̶c̶i̶t̶y̶ p̶r̶o̶v̶i̶d̶e̶s̶ t̶h̶e̶ g̶r̶o̶u̶p̶ w̶i̶t̶h̶ 3̶%̶ c̶r̶i̶t̶, h̶a̶s̶t̶e̶, a̶n̶d̶ l̶e̶e̶c̶h̶.
  • T̶e̶n̶a̶c̶i̶t̶y̶ p̶r̶o̶v̶i̶d̶e̶s̶ t̶h̶e̶ g̶r̶o̶u̶p̶ w̶i̶t̶h̶ 3̶%̶ v̶e̶r̶s̶ a̶n̶d̶ m̶a̶x̶ H̶P̶ i̶n̶c̶r̶e̶a̶s̶e̶d̶.
  • C̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ p̶r̶o̶v̶i̶d̶e̶s̶ t̶h̶e̶ g̶r̶o̶u̶p̶ w̶i̶t̶h̶ 4̶%̶ s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶, a̶v̶o̶i̶d̶a̶n̶c̶e̶, a̶n̶d̶ i̶n̶c̶r̶e̶a̶s̶e̶d̶ m̶a̶x̶ a̶t̶t̶a̶c̶k̶ r̶a̶n̶g̶e̶/s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶.

I doubt we get this though as this might be seen as multiple raid buffs given Pally’s recent double raid buff removal. Also looking through the Monk’s tree, they lose their technically triple raid buff of mystic touch and 2 auras.

Alternatively, just a flat 1 hour crit chance + damage buff but that’s not as exciting as we still have to keep a button on our bar to enable it so maybe an aura named ‘Hunting Pack’ for the pet and hunter works.

I’m still not a fan of how Merciless Blows (BM/RS hits 3 targets) works. This talent is trying to shoehorn a ST button (RS/MB) into the AoE rotation instead of MB/RS being a filler button. It adds clunkiness to the rotation. If it remains as is, it should give us 1 stack of Mongoose Fury per target hit.

Bombardier is contributing towards the spec’s GCD Bloat, specifically the Explosive Shots at the end of CA. Perhaps we send those explosive shots somewhere in the CA window, maybe every 5s automatically after the initial hit.

With pets being a core aspect of Hunters, I’d hope they’re not a neglected part of this rework:

1. Provide more pet flexibility - let us set any pet as ferocity/cunning/tenacity in the stable.
  2. Allow hunters to lust as a baseline talent. Currently, MM hunters are dropping their Lone Wolf buff to lust and BM/Survival is giving up Fort of the Bear (+ Spirit Mend for BM) to lust. Every other lust class gives up nothing to press lust.
  3. Alternatively, if hunters are stuck depending on a pet for utility, return the ability of pets being able to Battle Resurrect by assigning it to Tenacity/Cunning pets.

Ghillie suit is janky to play around. This node should also allow us to camouflage in combat - mages already have this with their invisibility.

Revise Roar of Sacrifice to protect a target from all damage types, not just critical strikes, to become a 10% DR for a party member. Alternatively, move this talent into the PvP talent section, our class tree is bloated with PvP talents that bring no value in PvE.

My full thoughts and feedback are below:

27 Likes