That’s fair. I hadn’t thought about that because I was questing with my wife. When I ran around solo I definitely wasn’t able to pull as much on the Waking Shore versus other classes I saw running around. Starting gear definitely needs to be boosted. Strong agree.

6 Likes

For me the 25 yard range for healing (in a 5 man dungeon setting) is pretty difficult. I think I could manage it as a DPS spec but for healing I feels as if I’m constantly moving in order to heal all members of my party.

I wish rescue and fly with me had a 40 yard range if the other healing spells don’t.

6 Likes

Most of the Soar feedback is in the Dragonriding thread.

It was all ignored though. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I think 30/35 Would makee a nice feel… Cuz yeah often in the heroics n big pulls or even just a small pull from the shriek welp ppl are spread far past 40 yards n makes it hard to heal everyone…

i also really like the idea of just making rescue / fly with me 40 yards. , using the temporal orb thing, makes healing melee from the range department good

1 Like

Hover – You may now finish your last cast while moving without being interrupted when Hover ends.

Oh look, a breadcrumb

Edit: The change to scintillation doesn’t seem like a lot but it actually feels way more consistent, despite not hitting as hard.

Hello Evokers,

A quick note for today’s build: We’ve updated Soar to used a “bonus action bar” like Dragonriding Drakes do, allowing Surge Forward and Skyward Ascent to be dragged around on the action bar. New characters will automatically have the two abilities on the action bar when Soar is learned. However, existing characters will need to drag them out of the spellbook, under the General tab. Apologies for the inconvenience!

6 Likes

Another point here to mention

Hover
Not being able to cast empower spells while hover is active feels bad. I think it’d play into being a hyper mobile caster well to be able to set those up while moving. It’d add the skill to having to point it in the right direction.

9 Likes

I saw the mention of soar and got all excited.

But now I feel let down.

Make soar = dragonriding riding and make dragonriding usable everywhere flying is enabled.

20 Likes

Same… :confused:

Regardless, I was hoping for more after a month of silence. Both specs of Evoker need help, and we’re running low on time.

13 Likes

So they listened to practically none of our feedback? Glad I’m not a top tier raider our playing evoker wouldn’t be in the cards for me.

15 Likes

From the Beta Dev Notes:

Hover – You may now finish your last cast while moving without being interrupted when Hover ends.
Scintillation – Chance to occur increased to 15% (was 4/8%). Eternity Surge is launched at 30/60% power (was 100%)
Burnout – Can now stack twice.

Is…is this some kind of joke?

7 Likes

Literally the only positive thing about this new build is that i seem to be killing quest mobs faster.

Everything else is bantha poo doo

4 Likes

That’s fair. I hadn’t thought about that because I was questing with my wife. When I ran around solo I definitely wasn’t able to pull as much on the Waking Shore versus other classes I saw running around. Starting gear definitely needs to be boosted. Strong agree.

Can you still transfer sandworn relics from a copied character and buy gear in Zeereth Mortis? Beta is updating now so I can’t check. That should be able to goose your ilvl a little bit through the early zones. I don’t think you start getting 250 ilvl gear as quest rewards until level 64 or 65.

It is still a problem for evoker though, even with upgraded gear. The talents that make your root take more damage to break seemed to help immensely - the spell seems like it is set at a specific damage threshold that may outscale common enemies, so I was often killing them while they were still rooted.

Sleepwalk has the same effect, at least while leveling. I could sleepwalk an enemy and do 1/3 to 1/2 of their healthbar in damage before they would break out. Sleepwalk is definitely not that way at lvl 70 with some better gear. It breaks on almost any amount of direct damage, but it can be useful to buy you a short pause to reposition and heal up a little. I’ve been killing elites easily (though slowly) as long as they only have a couple off dots on them. Packs of enemies like in some of the gnoll camps, were really difficult.

As a resto druid main on live who has played both on the beta, I feel like preserver is more mobile than my druid. Though I do wish they’d implement the change some here have mentioned of letting hover be cast while casting. There’s a different change to hover that just went up on the beta (or maybe ptr, not sure) that’s nice as well but I think I prefer the cast while casting idea. The new change lets spells that were started during the hover buff finish casting while moving even if the hover buff ends partway through the cast.

I’m not a fan of changing the range anyways but I wouldn’t hate that sort of UI solution to different ranges if they did. Seems like it’d work fine.

Wanted to note that as of the current build Call of Ysera now works as expected with Echo’d Living Flames. All the flames now benefit regardless of who you target and their proximity to you.

Lifebind is still wonky when Echo’d, which is probably going to get more attention now that Verdant Embrace can self-cast. Looking forward to that getting fixed as well.

2 Likes

Reading through everything here, I think it’s possible that a couple high-impact changes could be made to ease the repercussions of the limited healing range without stripping the class of its mid-range uniqueness.

More uptime on casting while moving would be a big one, whether through more frequent/longer hovers, more instant casts, or—most ambitiously—by making preservation evokers able to cast while moving by default and changing hover to something else, as others have suggested. Would a healer similar to, say, a Marksmanship Hunter—who mixes high movement uptime with a few hard-hitting rooted casts—really be so dangerous to add to the game?

Definitely also agree that making rescue 40yds makes a lot of sense.

I think there’s something to the idea of making spellcast range checking work differently for evokers—if their spells only checked range at the beginning of casts, I think it would ease a lot of the frustration around failed casts.

Really though, increasing the readability of where specific allies are/how far away from you they are would go a long way on its own—and that would be a change that would benefit all healers.

Philosophically, I do think the idea that an “advanced class” must have an equivalently higher effectiveness ceiling isn’t necessarily true. Some people just enjoy playing more advanced classes. When it comes down to it, there will always be an “easiest” class to play effectively. It can be rewarding to pull off a more advanced class just because it is inherently satisfying to do so, even if the same level of success could be achieved more easily on another class. And making an advanced class too much more effective at the high-end just inevitably leads to it being overplayed by high-level players, who are by definition going to be able to meet the demands of the advanced playstyle. The difficulty-to-effectiveness ratio isn’t really zero-sum, especially in a game where roleplaying/self-expression is at least as big a motivator as competition for most players.

4 Likes

I personally feel like a good trade off for the range issue might be just letting preservation evokers cast while moving period. take it off hover and just make that the unique flavor of Preservation spec. With the range gimp, the only thing that makes sense with how long some of our channels are is to let it all be cast while moving.

Hover should just be a speed boost that breaks roots/snares.

Then you can focus a lot more on getting where you need to be with your other spells and not about standing still and losing range on everyone.

12 Likes

It’s the same, though.

1 Like

Both things always happened, and are still happening. The 4 balls signified your charge level.

Check your graphics settings?

1 Like

See, I didn’t want to post this and sound dumb, but your talk of the ZM gear crossed my mind earlier. That they might be balancing it around pre-patch and people getting gear from there, mythic+, and so on. I don’t want to make that assumption though. On the flip side, if that was the case, it really screws over newer players who will just be going straight from the Forbidden Reach to the Dragon Isles.

4 Likes