it’s hard enough making the benefit of black arrow work for BM and MM, trying to staple the DoT/effect to an existing ability on both specs I think is just an impossibility

I also wanted to add that instead of Dark Chains I would like to see something like

• Haunting Wave: Send forth a wave of (banshees?) dealing minor damage, and pulling you forward to your target. You land in an explosion of dark energy, silencing all enemies struck within 8 yards of your target.
2 Likes

I know you are probably right. But I definitely like the idea of trying to add more dark ranger flair to our current core kit than just adding a new button.

2 Likes

I find it wild that the Dark Ranger Hero Tree has nothing to do with Wailing Arrow. Could make it so much better, increase the damage, reduce the cooldown, make it Instant, off the cooldown, just… something. Wailing Arrow is like THE Dark Ranger ability, and we don’t have any real reason to take it without a noticeable damage loss.

I feel like Dark Ranger thematically is really cool. I think you could covert Barbed Shot/Aimed Shot and Kill Shot to Shadow Damage to make some of the nodes feel a bit better. I’d like to add some Wailing Arrow stuff in there, and make Kill Shot actually worth pushing for BM either within the Dark Ranger tree itself, buffing it naturally, or adding a BM Talent to make it feel better. Overall I like it, but I have some concerns with the current version of it.

11 Likes

There’s a talent in the tree that buffs all shadow damage you deal, and Wailing Arrow does shadow damage, but yeah I get what you’re saying. I’d like to see some more specific interactions too.

2 Likes

Dark Chains should work like Sigil of chains and then increase shadow damage against affected targets.

The utility + DPS increase this would provide would be so good - imagine being able to actually help with mob grouping and AoE interrupt in a reliable way.

Also its exactly what Sylvanas did when stealing the helm of domination.

3 Likes

I feel like that would be really fun too. Weaponize our movement a little bit, like Demon Hunters do.

2 Likes

Or have it work like Gorefiends Grasp:

“Shadowy tendrils coil around all enemies within 15 yards of a hostile or friendly target, pulling them to the target’s location.”

Could have it be a spell you can cast on the tank, on yourself, on whoever and suck the mobs to that location. Would also provide some synergy with explosive trap and binding shot.

Knock them out, pull them back in, root them…

That would basically force “run into melee and disengage on CD” into the normal rotation, which sounds like the worst kind of hell.

I should have clarified it should be targetted and have nothing to do with disengage - just give disengage a second charge in the base tree and maybe a glyph to leap forwards instead of backwards if we wanted it.

1 Like

I just watched the interview video about Dark Ranger by Jellybeans. Anyone else find it a bit cringe that one of the designers said he was most excited about Dark Chains(overwhelmingly hated), and the other was excited about Death Shade(useless for BM)? Are they just trying to hype up talents they know are bad, or are they showing they don’t know the class?

2 Likes

It honestly didn’t leave me with much enthusiasm.

1 Like

Very obviously its the second one. Nobody there actually plays a Hunter - their ideas are “Wouldnt it be cool if I could flip away and trap everyone” and then their buddy goes “Hell yeah thatd be badass and look sick” and how the game actually plays will have played zero role in any decisions.

2 Likes

My only feedback is to give Survival a version of Flayed Shot from SL. Survival is too melee heavy at the moment - I feel survival is most fun when weaving in and out of melee is optimal.

You can weave ranged and melee skills, but purposely leaving auto-attack range when it’d avoid no damage is… not a tactic with any merit.

And to force that, if it was so desired, would require deadzone gimmicks and/or the simultaneous maintenance of a ranged weapon with a separate auto timer (forcing in/outs every couple seconds or less) that likewise would not be great.

it’s a melee dps spec, of course it’s melee heavy lol. they said the melee identity is staying in TWW too as wel

1 Like

It was also a melee spec last expansion, yet it spent a fair bit more of its core rotational time on ranged attacks.

yeah, but it was also a melee spec then as well and will continue to be. kind of like enhancement and retribution

edit: not a dark fallen anymore?

It’s my take that SL survival was the most fun iteration of melee survival. In PvP you could still do a lot of damage from range when you faced double melee in RSS. I’m not saying I want to equip a bow and change between that and a spear. I enjoyed harassing healers by following them and using muzzle, landing traps, door of shadows while still doing a lot of damage. Obviously you did less damage than standing in melee but kill shot procs especially with razor fragments hit a lot harder than spamming SS and KC.

Note that these gained options to become more ranged though, including in core rotation, while SV obliges a reduction in a ranged uptime/features in order to access its more more interesting/unique talents (like Infusions) and supply more ranged options only via 2-4 points across CA and its augmenting talents, which take effect at best once per 2 minutes.