Family Fighter Family Battler etc

Ran out of my usual content and thought I would start some of these achievements.
After slogging through a couple of the trainers with an aquatic team I came to this conclusion: This is the most shameless and pointless time sink I’ve ever seen. The pets you get for both achievements are in no way adequate reward for the amount of time and effort it takes to complete these. The pets are unremarkable in almost every way, unless you collect purely for cosmetics and they can be easily replaced in pet battles by far superior pets that are way easier to obtain. I try to refrain from rants, but these achievements should really give rewards that reflect the huge amount of time and effort that is needed to complete them…

1 Like

If these quests gave pets that were really good for battling, players would say they had to do the quests and would complain even more about the time they took.

As it is they are optional extras for people who enjoy the challenge or who want to collect all the pets they can get.

I love having my Felclaw Marsuul follow me around even though it’s not particularly cute or impressive looking and I’ve never found a use for it in battles. It’s a reminder of the most difficult, (so far,) of the family fighter achievements.

3 Likes

You make a good point. I can imagine the rants we would see if the pets were essential or irreplaceable. Still, the pets seem pretty unremarkable for the time and effort this demands.

1 Like

Aquatic was always the hardest family due to a dearth of swarm/flock moves. Not as bad now that so many BFA aquatics come with it.

You’re far better off doing one fight with all families rather than vice versa. Save on travel time, can open one wowhead comment section at a time (or xu-fu).

1 Like

Honestly, Devs can’t win.

Come up with an achievement that is modestly difficult and time consuming and players will complain it’s a horrible timesink.

Come up with something that’s short and sweet and players will complain there is no content.

What exactly do you want, Goldilocks?

My approach to these was to do them over time as it suited me. There was no need to get it done right away. Once I got down to a manageable number of tamers, I started doing it in earnest. But trying to bulldoze your way through it is kind of a mistake.

4 Likes

First, I have never remarked on these quests before and so your tone towards me seems a bit misplaced. As to your rhetorical (I am presuming) question, I would like to see pets that reflect the sheer amount of time and effort these achievements require. At the very least Blizzard could make all of the quests available at any time if they aren’t prepared to award better prizes.

It was a general comment made on a playerbase that will complain about anything.

You set the tone, I didn’t.

You also answered your own question. Give a really nice reward for a difficult achievement and players will complain they are being “forced” to do it.

2 Likes

For any of the Legion tamers outside of Argus, you need the WQ up. It’s why they’re still viable options for leveling pets. Argus pets are up at all times. BfA tamers are up at all times.

ETA: The above are in regards to the battles for family achievements.

1 Like

The difference being that my tone wasn’t aimed at you. Unless you are a Blizzard developer, then your rebuttal is unwarranted and even were you affiliated, the remark is uncalled for as I have only recently begun posting on here and this is my first actual criticism.
Blizzard is offering a product that is open to any paying player’s objective scrutiny. You taking issue with my remark, which has little or nothing to do with you makes me wonder if you take this all a bit too seriously.

Oh dear …
Hruin spoke up in defense of someone else.
How terrible; surely everyone knows these days you should keep your mouth shut, look the other way and not make waves when you see someone being attacked.

It’s no wonder you now feel obliged to attack him, suggesting he takes this all a bit too seriously.

/close sarcasm

1 Like

I like the family fighter content. It’s a good way to use existing content in a new, challenging way.

4 Likes

Again, Blizzard is offering a for profit product that is open to any paying customer’s scrutiny and criticism. That’s how Capitalism in this Nation is supposed to work.
Defending developers you don’t even know, with a personal insult aimed at the person representing the proposition side of the debate, is the act of a petulant child. i:e: “i still like the game therefore you must be wrong.”
To take it personally enough that one felt compelled to insult suggests that there is something very wrong with one’s perception of this game and indeed their involvement with it. I will not respond any more as behavior like that being deemed acceptable renders this forum useless.
Enjoy your echo chamber.

You’re really calling other players in this thread petulant?

Please do keep posting. I love comedy.

1 Like

Personally, I think the rewards for Family Fighter-series of achievements are fine. How long and how much effort it takes to earn each is largely up to the player once you get past the initial achievement. With post-Legion trainers available to battle at any time, PLUS strategies sorted out and posted online, you can easily finish in a day or two. Or you can figure out your own strategies, which could take longer. Again, it’s up to personal preference.

The rewards reflect a middle ground between the various ways of going about it IMO. They’re new pets but not superior in battle or even aesthetically. Just a nice bonus for participating in Pet Battle content.

4 Likes

Each to their own. I’m happy to log in and waste countless hours working out teams.

I’ve almost completed all my teams for the next family achievement, so I’ll have it within a few days of patch release :smiley: Assuming I’m still playing this game by then lol.

And for those that dont want to put in the effort, their are sites like xufu and wowhead that will have teams made up and ready to copy. So assuming a collector has all the pets, they will have the achievement in a few days too shrug

2 Likes

or, bear with me on this one, these achieves are designed for people that are more along the lines of collectors. As others have said, if the final reward was so over powered, people would complain that they “must” do this long process to get it, as the pet would be “necessary”, on the other hand, if it was quick and easy, people would complain “theres no content”. I will agree, these achievements DO take a decent amount of time, however, it seems to me they were designed specifically for people that want to be collectors

1 Like

The only one that really had a time sink was the original Legion Family Familiar due to needing the World Quest to be active. That was easily overpowered by pet / collectors tendency to hoard level capped toons.

Argus and BfA removed the restrictions and just let you fight them over and over until you got your victories. In that case, it’s more about either figuring it out yourself and making it happen or spending a minute on Xu-Fu’s.

Either way though, you shouldn’t be going into it without a very large roster of level 25 rare pets. There’s even a section on warcraft-pets and xu’fu’s that lays out some of the more important ones to have.

At least there’s a pet at the end of it.

You want a pointless time sink, look at the; “Did Somebody Order a Knuckle Sandwich?” achievement, lol.

The most pointless time sink would be the Legendary Pet Brawler. It requires 5000 PvP pet Battle wins.

In my experience, a battle takes around 5 minutes. This includes queue time. So around 12 battles an hour.

Let’s assume a 75% win rate (which is pretty good). That’s 9 wins an hour.

It would take 555.555 hours to accomplish that. Just about a year and a half if you PvP Pet Battle an hour a day every day.

Your reward would be 30 Achievement Points. Not pet. No title. Just points.

That is the definition of a pointless grind.

Yet, I have the utmost respect for those who have accomplished it. Because it truly is a legendary achievement.

So perhaps it’s not so pointless after all.

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

1 Like