Faction Balance

I’m going to be posting about this until it’s fixed. Any reasonable, educated human being would agree that it’s absolutely ridiculous a typical run from the flight path to Molten Core on Herod as Alliance takes an hour or more because of Horde camping Alliance. Each resurrection, run, and die cycle progresses Alliance players only a few feet. The phenomenon has become so normal, predictable, and reliable that people have baked an extra hour or two into their weekly raid commutes to account for it.

Raiding has turned into a 6-hour time commitment from a 4-hour one. This does not make me want to play this game. Anyone posting comments like “its a PVP server deal with it” is completely inept. Anyway, I have a weekly reminder in my phone to complain about this on the forums. I encourage others to do the same to ensure Blizzard doesn’t forget about it.

3 Likes

Do you think that more of an even faction balanced population would resolve those issues?

On certain Horde-dominated servers, like Herod, yes I think it would. The latest wowhead census says the server is 38% Alliance and 62% Horde. That’s a sizable difference in population.

Indeed it is, but what does that mean?

Kurinnaxx is apparently pretty balanced, around 45:55.

Well, seeing that a more even faction balance would give the other side the ability to organize and fight back… yes.

2 Likes

To quote myself from another of the nearly identical threads:

PvPers before launch: I love World PvP! I love the sense of danger that getting ganked brings to PvE activities! If you’re not playing PvP, you’re a carebear that isn’t playing the real game! The way it was meant to be played!

PvPers after P2: HALP! GANKERZ KEEP GANKING ME! I CAN’T DO PVE STUFF BECAUSE PVP KEEPS HAPPENING! TOO MANY PEOPLE WANT TO PVP AND THEY AREN’T MY TEAM! BLIZZ FIX NOW! HALP!

Normal Players: “You think you do, but you don’t.”

1 Like

I know that ganking greatly increases the time it takes to reach instances, but how in the world was it taking anyone 4 hours to reach BRM? A few flights paths and you’re in Burning Steppes or Thorium Point, and from there the geographical distance to the dungeons and raids is super short. Most of that time spent would be from corpse running, but even accounting res timers I don’t understand how it could take that long to reach the instance portals.

As a 15 year pvper that was on both sides, deal with it. It’s a PvP server. You signed up for this whether you expected it or not.

In any case, i do sympathize. It does suck being on the less populated side and having your party of 5 steam rolled by several raid parties constantly. I do think some faction tipping such as shifting 90/10s more to 60/40s should be considered, but this is how it’s always been. If it’s not your bag, roll another server or go PvE, but understand that that’s not helping or fixing the issue either

I don’t think 4 hours, but it’s a very significant time increase because as you rez, you die, and you’re on a 2 minute timer to rez. Just getting from the FP to the door to BRM can easily add an hour. Then you have to actually get to whichever instance you’re going to, and can be MC’d into the lava which adds a whole new problem.

All sounds about right. The best counter to this I can think of would be for Alliance players to form mega combined raid groups with like 80 people working together, and rush the instance portals before the Horde has a chance to gather up and attempt to honor farm them. If done quickly, a group that big would likely butcher the gankers hanging outside of the instances and get to where they need to go before any resistance builds against them. Of course, this would require quite a bit of planning and is pretty inconvenient just to reach a dungeon, but it could be done with a good leader managing it, and it is a better alternative than never reaching the instances at all.

80 is way too little. You’re going to die if you can’t at least match what’s camping the zone. The problem is that it’s literally hundreds. If you go in with a raid group and start taking them out, then it just turns into 200 vs 80 wiping your group and leaving you back with the same exact problem.

They did a bad job. We need layering back. The game is just too lopsided on too many servers.

This guy’s post is exactly what we do on Kirtonos. We gather up in specified locations and run into MC with anywhere from 80-160 people (typically 2-4 guilds worth, sometimes more).

We’ve had success zoning every time with almost no casualties. You just gotta adapt sometimes.

1 Like

The reason you dont understand it is because you’re not on a server that has a 2.5:1 ratio, not in your faction’s favor.

You had me until you mentioned layering. No thanks, anything but that. It should never have been in Classic at all imo.

Correct, I don’t understand, nor do I want to. My server is pretty well balanced, and I like it that way. I don’t think that many Alliance players realize that this faction imbalance issue is bad for Hordies too. Who tf are we supposed to fight when the server populations are like 80/20 in favor of Horde? Something clearly needs to be done about it, I just won’t pretend to have a miracle answer for the problem.

Btw, consider a transfer to the Alliance on Incendius if you get the chance. They kick butt here and really make Horde players work for their honor points.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/please-look-into-ways-to-fix-faction-balance/370644

Layering kept the world balanced around the original design of the game. The problem with layering was all the make-believe exploits that nobody had witnessed a single person do, yet they claimed that it was this rampant problem.

In reality, if Blizzard never told us about layering, pretty much all of us would have never noticed it.

Given Blizzard’s history on this topic, it’s going to be a LOOOOOOONG time.

I don’t know about you, but I constantly saw people vanish right in front of me due to layer switching/hopping (sometimes when I was trying to trade with or talk to them), and it was jarring. I’d prefer Blizzard just split servers into several pieces (ex. Herod 1, Herod 2) rather than split communities up on the same server, and I still don’t like that. Blizzard really just shouldn’t have created the super-sized servers in the first place.