Extreme lag same time every night

So, this only started recently but at about 8:30 every single night my latency goes very high on WoW, I have run multiple speed tests and the internet seems to be testing out just fine, I am wired directly in and my company doesn’t seem aware of any issues. Can I get some help resolving this issue? It’s quite frustrating as our guild raid goes into those times for mythic sanctum. I am mountain time so 60 ms regularly on Sargeras is normal for me but anything higher is not.

This is usually caused by over saturation on your ISP’s network.

Speed tests ping a server very close to you because it’s checking the fastest the connection can possibly go, not how stable it is. Additionally, the ping to the test server doesn’t compare to a ping to the WoW server.

If you provide the WinMTR data, yes.

2 Likes

Hi, network engineer here. I think the first step is to ask if anyone else in the same instance as you is having network latency issues? Most of the time that I’ve seen network latency is due to world bosses being killed or rare elites. Or joining in an Oceanic led dungeon.

1 Like

No, everyone else in the raid seems fine. I am wondering if it’s a connection issue specifically with our isp to the WoW servers because despite what that person above says when it’s an issue with our isp’s connection in general/performance, numbers read poorly on the speed test. Also my boyfriend wasn’t having any lag on his computer and I didn’t seem to have any other issues with other games or my stream. I am going to go ahead and grab the data they want and post it :slight_smile:

Edit: I forgot to mention, I did double check firewalls and made any necessary exceptions and I checked to make sure windows was all up to date etc.

Edit Edit: I just realized I need to run the tool when the problem persists, so it’s gonna be a hot minute before I can post it! Raid it tonight :smiley:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| WinMTR statistics |

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| www.routerlogin. com - 0 | 739 | 739 | 0 | 0 | 2 | 0 |

| lo0.mar1.slc.xmission. net - 0 | 739 | 739 | 2 | 2 | 28 | 2 |

| br1.core.xmission. net - 1 | 723 | 719 | 2 | 5 | 71 | 6 |

| 206.72.211.247.any2ix.coresite. com - 1 | 720 | 715 | 17 | 22 | 111 | 18 |

| ae1-br01-csla1.as57976. net - 2 | 708 | 700 | 59 | 65 | 211 | 60 |

| No response from host - 100 | 148 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| et-0-0-0-pe01-eqch2.as57976. net - 1 | 716 | 710 | 60 | 63 | 174 | 61 |

| 24.105.62.129 - 1 | 723 | 719 | 60 | 60 | 70 | 61 |

|____________|||||||

Looks like there is some mild packet loss and a few ping spikes right outside the ISP network, as they hand traffic off to their peering partner. Unfortunately, since you are not the peer’s customer, your ISP will need to work with them on resolving this.

Do you mean their 3rd parties they work directly with? I know that our ISP said they and one of the companies they route traffic to had recently changed equipment. It was a mess honestly! I wonder if they are having an issue again with it.

Yes, that is what I mean. It sounds like something got botched in the switch to different equipment.

Ah, well. Thanks for the help. I contacted our isp but honestly they never really want to help with much.

Hey did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the same issue for about 1.5-2 months now. Same server even. Ive tried everything. ISP replaced all equipment in house. I did fresh install of wow, deleted all addons, updated network adapters etc. I cannot figure this out for the life of me.

Every night around 7pm it goes for about 3-4 hours.

Start a new thread as this current is 2 months old and may not be relevant (the same) to your situation