Exploring Pandaria

Oh so your telling me we are in for another faction war? good to know.

1 Like

What better way to celebrate WoWā€™s 20 year anniversary and 10th expansion than returning to its roots where the horde goes evil and aggro against the innocent alliance?

To be honest after going to an alternate past Draenor, I realized anything is possibleā€¦ and yes, this feeling was magnified by Mists 2.0 and the Shadowlands.

1 Like

Personally while Alternate past Draenor was clearly a wild card that I donā€™t think anyone could have seen coming, a few of the other things were moreā€¦predictable. (Even a second faction war was predictable, I just thought Blizzard would have waited a few more expansion before they tried and would have built WoW abit more before then.)

And by predictable I mean we knew we would always go to place like Shadowlands, Dragon Isles, Argus, Kul Tiras, Zandalar(obviously none of us could have know the specifics). Heck, I recall some fake expansion plan map that was circulated back in Wrath purportedly claiming when each expansion would happen. Obviously fake now but it was correct in that it mentioned all these zones.

Current WoW is probably less so and ā€œanything is possibleā€ is even more likely. Heck, even the existance of the factions are now being called into question. The only hint we have is Blizzard will at least have expansions dedicated to each school of magic, so a life, fel, light, void(a light based expansion likely dealing with Yrel and a fel one dealing with Sargerasā€™ return) and then an expansion to deal with whatever threat Zovaal saw. That is at least 10 years worth of expansion content.(I am not even 100% sure WoW will exist in 10 years!)

2 Likes

Will they remember that Chen had a love interest in Shadows of the Horde? Will they remember that Li Li is a young adult timeline wise?

Something tells me the answer to both is no.

My money on next expansion is a second Old World revamp.

Probably the most useless of the books not needed to be made so far. Thereā€™s not a lot in Pandaria that needs to be known about at this point in time. This makes me more dissapointed that itā€™s not Exploring Outland. Iā€™m not pessimistic about the possibility of lore inaccuracies since I donā€™t think Exploring Northrend had any but I expect far less significance for this book.

Thereā€™s enough Panda/MOP fans that a look at how things have moved on is a nice sop to them if they donā€™t pull a Exploring Kalimidor

2 Likes

I know Iā€™m excited for the exploring pandaria book. MoP was one of the few expansions I enjoyed from beginning to end

3 Likes

I donā€™t know what interesting info we can get though besides places that got destroyed being rebuilt

Not my bag personally (mostly because MOP is the only expansion I never played live) but Iā€™m glad to see a bit of focus on the more ignored parts of the lore/player races and I hope the bookā€™s a good one.

1 Like

Not everything has to be a big revelation.

Just how theyā€™re doing, how the land has or has not recovered, what has happened with the Mantid, some short stories and anecdotes.

1 Like

Honestly, Iā€™m surprised theyā€™re doing this. Hereā€™s to hoping that this is a good book and not another Exploring Kalimdor. I have my own predictions for whatā€™s gonna be revealed, or rather, what I HOPE is revealed.

3 Likes

Yeah Northrend was very disappointing to the point that I just rolled my eyes. No major updates, no stories of actual modernization and building up our holdings. Just oh well its basically the same and Zulā€™Drak is falling apart and also frost dwarves know about our ancestor.

I didnā€™t read the book but what was there to rebuild?

The Horde/Alliance left skeleton crews to act as advance warning if the scourge rose up again, I donā€™t think either legitimately had designs on colonies.

Iā€™d have liked to see the Drakkari rebound a little. They held off the scourge for years until betrayed from within. They werenā€™t good, but we also saw them at their most existentially threatened.

I agree. I donā€™t think the fact that lorethmar was teaching the troll how to read and write is inherently racist. Literacy is not something a warrior society would prioritize. I think the Horde only has one or two literate races. It just happened to be blood elves, they could have had any other magister not Lorethemar himself. The man is spread thin.

IIRC, along with being the first ā€œnaturalā€ race, trolls also have the oldest written language among the playables. Iā€™m pretty sure weā€™ve had quest to make rubbings of troll tablets and the like before.

5 Likes

The Horde left a skeleton crew the Alliance left settlers who began building towns and cities. We see them all over Northrend. The Horde under Garrosh did not build the infrastructure needed for the Horde to expand and rule or remain to settle the lands. The Alliance did and in the book itā€™s basically status quo like these guys for 15 years havenā€™t significantly expanded the Alliance holdings. Horde is also frozen in time. Itā€™s just quiet and nobody did anything of import. Thatā€™s dumb. Realistically new towns should be popping up. Valgarde should be a proper town. Westguard Keep should be a huge city lore wise. All over Northrend the Alliance was creating towns and cities while the horde mainly kept building garrisons and didnā€™t have the population to expand their communities. The Alliance however did and was back in WOTLK.

Those tablets would be written by priests. Not everyone in troll society would have access to literacy. Zandalari? Yes. But not Darkspear. Itā€™s not surprising to me Zekhan or Rexxar are illiterate. The last 30 years in Warcraft history have the Darkspear trolls in constant warfare.

1 Like

Zekhan is training to be a shaman. The two classes are largely interchangeable for trolls, since they donā€™t map well to typical western fantasy class archetypes.

2 Likes

We have real-world archaeological evidence in decline in literacy during times of crisis or warfare. I just donā€™t think itā€™s really as big of a deal as people make it out to be. You donā€™t need literacy to be a shaman.