Exploring Kalimdor Criticism on Wowhead: Book Now Pulled

Now I can see Mongol a lot easier, yeah. That makes far better sense.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. That’s the one thing I remember most about the 80s. Everyone’s obsession with…honor and glory?

So… seeing racism in media means you must be non-functional?

Ok.

6 Likes

Do the Titans have a separate language? Maybe Common comes from them, or the First Ones.

1 Like

Titans have their own language yes. It is the root of most known languages, it seems like.

4 Likes

The hypocrisy is the issue.

Why is Vol’jin literate? Why are there troll tablets all over Stranglethorn? Nothing about the lore says that trolls, or other “savage,” for lack of a better word, have an illiteracy problem.

April Copeland claimed on Twitter that Lor’themar only taught Zekhan how to read Thalassian, but walked it back. It was deleted too.

Side note, they’re going to get one today, likely. The DFEH vs. EEOC hearing is today.

Anyway, it seems like they did it on accident, or someone did it on purpose, because they happened to be a massive racist. People don’t always act rationally.

6 Likes

In fairness, irrespective of race or culture, legends and rituals being systematically recorded on large stone tablets isn’t necessarily indicative of how normal folks in any given society are making use of the written word. That’s usually the sort of stuff the religious or ruling classes do when they want their recordings to survive for posterity.

One would expect regular trolls to write on more portable and less cumbersome materials like the folks commonly do in other societies.

5 Likes

He is the leader of his people, and was the son of the previous leader. It makes sense he would have a higher education and the average Darkspear. But that doesn’t mean he was literate with Common or Orcish. And he likely wasn’t pre WC3.

The Darkspear also do not live in Stranglethorn.

It is not about the fact they are trolls, it is about where they live. On an Island that was isolated from the rest of the world until Thrall discovered them.

2 Likes

They actually did just prior to the 3rd war.

7 Likes

Macho metal nonsense and spikes everywhere!

…Also, explains the hair.

2 Likes

Sure, but they had lived on Darkspear Isle for a unspecified period of time. Zekhan surely never set foot in Stranglethorn.

Zekhan is the Horde’s ambassador, and a shaman in training.

Forest Trolls are known to practice writing as well, and so do Sand Trolls. It’s not in Common or Orcish, yes, but since the Darkspear are Horde members, they know Orcish, too.

2 Likes

A position he only recently obtained, no doubt due to his relationship with Saurfang.

And both those tribes have large, metropolitan cities and urban centers, where skills such as reading and writing would play a larger role in their society. The Darkspear do not have anything like that, and they have been far more isolated. Hated by most other Gurubashi Tribes, banished from Stranglethorn, their Island sunk into the ocean. At one point have been Banished from Ogrimmar by Garrosh.

There are many social issues that could explain the lack of literacy within that Tribe.

1 Like

good…gives them more time to virtue signal to the woke mob while ignoring the lore inaccuracies…smh

I haven’t read the book yet, all my information comes from here, so please, just for clarification. The Book tells us

Lor’themar teaches Zekhan how to read / write. Correct?
If it is: Are there any other sentences in the book, that implicate that Trolls are illiterate? In this case, I would get where you are coming from with the “racism”, but… isn’t it just ONE young Troll among popular faction leaders we’re talking about here?

The book says:
Zekhan talks about greedy Goblins. Correct?
If so: Wasn’t that always the way Goblins were depicted in WoW? Did I understand you correctly that you consider it offensive, because some anti-semitic idiots attributed these character traits to jewish people?

If I misunderstood you, please clarify. The point I was trying to make in my earlier post is: Just because an author or writer draws inspiration from RL, you can’t expect them to use a modern system of values or social justice in their fantastical story. Fantasy lives from stereotypes to a degree, it’s often a simplification or even more, a exxageration of the human condition. Goblins are smart, but greedy, Dwarfs are brave alcoholics, Orcs are brutes, but with a code. It’s not ALL they are and not all of them are like that, but it’s part of the “fairy tale”-charme, they all represent a part of the human condition. I love that many Ogres in WoW seem to be simple minded. That Goblins are witty, but greedy. That Elves are wise, but arrogant. That Orcs are often depicted as struggling warriors.

Saurfang is the best example for a changing stereotype - imho the one thing BfA got right. An Orcish stereotype, proud of his strength, his honor and the Horde - until his beliefs were challegend and he finally reflected on them. Just to realize after decades that the Horde he held so high, was not build on honor, but on destruction.

If I misunderstood you or overlooked an important quote from the book, please, I’m open to change my mind :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

True. Zekhan asking the former Alliance guy to help him brush up on common before his big excursion into Alliance territories would’ve shorn their bonding moment of any negative implications and also made sense for the little story being told.

4 Likes

They left between the 2nd and 3rd war for the island.

3 Likes

That’s pretty unspecified.

I never really attributed goblins to a Semitic-coding. If any race fits that bill, it would be a Draenei—A exiled and persecuted people who were saved by the Naaru (which are basically WoW’s classic angel analog) and granted the Light’s grace. A people who traveled from place to place with enemies not far behind that destroyed their every attempt to settle.

That fits much better than the goblins…who are a caricature of the Gilded Age’s robber barons.

11 Likes

In the sense it spans a couple years, yes.

Certainly not long enough for the Darkspears to suddenly forget reading and writing en masse.