Excessive 'Home' latency

Since the implementation of 8.1.5, I’ve periodically had times where although I’m able to kill mobs and NPCs in the world just fine, questing becomes near-impossible despite the responsiveness of the world as actually talking to quest-givers can take excessively long amounts of time.

At times like these, communication with my guild or via battle.net whispers in-game is also delayed, with lines sometimes appearing nearly a full minute after I’ve sent them.

While ‘World’ latency in-game sits at a fairly typical 70-120ms, the ‘Home’ latency is instead spiking up well into the thousands, sometimes as high as just over 4000ms.

This affects me when playing characters on US-Shadow Council and US-Wyrmrest Accord.

2 Likes

This is opposite to the usual latency issues we see Jialian. The “home” is a small bandwidth realm specific connection. Just like you say - chat - auction house - mail things.

I’m wondering if it isn’t a UI issue of sorts. If you haven’t already let’s test things there.

As I mentioned this is a test. If it doesn’t help simply remove the OLD from your original folders then delete the new folders the game installed. (This will return your original settings)

1 Like

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you about this, I’ve ended up a bit too busy to troubleshoot for a bit, let alone play the game normally.

After network tools failed to yield any insight, the problem seems to have been narrowed down to an errant addon - a pre-8.1.5 copy of CrossRP.

Edit: Not quite. With all addon data removed from the game I’m still having periodic problems interacting with NPCs and the like.

Hi again Jialian

Let’s take a look at the connection next. Run a WinMTR test.

The instructions are on this Blizzard Support page:

Once you have the tool open enter the IP number for the server group you play on in the WinMTR box then hit start.

(include periods)

Leave it run for 5 minutes or so. Doesn’t matter if you are playing or not. Then use the button that copies Text to your clipboard. Paste that on your thread here

*You may need to alter or remove any URL addresses to paste on forum. You could also place the test results in a code block:

Open chat box - paste test then right click - “select all”. Should highlight everything. Then press the preformatted text button along top of chat box. Looks like this </>.

I let this run for a bit over ten minutes with Jia logged in on Wyrmrest while I was mostly idle. Interacting with NPCs and the mission table on the Alliance vessel in Boralus was periodically delayed by excessive amounts of time, while character skills remained perfectly usable.

The second entry in the host table has had its address shortened so that it fits within the table.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                         router.asus.com -    0 |  910 |  910 |    0 |    1 |  102 |    2 |
|    (shortened).cpe.net.cable.rogers.com -    1 |  899 |  896 |    8 |   26 |  149 |   45 |
|                            69.63.242.53 -    0 |  910 |  910 |    8 |   22 |  196 |   49 |
|   9034-cgw01.wlfdle.rmgt.net.rogers.com -    0 |  910 |  910 |    8 |   21 |  130 |   30 |
|                           64.71.241.110 -    0 |  910 |  910 |   23 |   38 |  227 |   37 |
|                   eqix-dc2.blizzard.com -    0 |  910 |  910 |   23 |   38 |  226 |   30 |
|              ae1-br01-eqdc2.as57976.net -    0 |  910 |  910 |   67 |   88 |  346 |   78 |
|         et-0-0-2-br01-eqch2.as57976.net -    1 |  873 |  865 |   68 |   96 | 2819 |   72 |
|                          137.221.65.132 -    0 |  904 |  904 |   79 |  112 | 2419 |  137 |
|       et-0-0-31-pe02-swlv10.as57976.net -    0 |  910 |  910 |   67 |   81 |  246 |   80 |
|                           137.221.105.2 -    0 |  910 |  910 |   67 |   80 |  246 |   92 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Seems to be some latency and possibly packet loss on or near the home network there Jialian. The packet loss doesn’t appear to carry on down the switch line so it may be something we can disregard.

Describe how you connect. Wireless or Ethernet cable. Router/Modem combination device. Stand alone Router then a Modem. Are there any devices in the line. Splitters - Switches - VoIP devices?

As Tratt mentioned there is some slight loss occurring on the second hop. ALong with the info being requested, I’d also like to try a network reset. Steps for that can be found here under Use network reset to reinstall network devices.

I use wifi in the home to connect, due to the age of the building not really allowing ethernet cabling to be run through most walls. The unit router.asus.com is the residential router serving my building. It connects to a cable modem operating in passthrough mode (the cable modem has no IP of its own, it just passes traffic without interfering with it in any way.)

The nature of the problem has changed since earlier today. Both my machine and another machine in the same building are now experiencing home and world latency readings in the 450-525ms range (to US-Shadow Council) and about 150-220ms (to US-Wyrmrest Accord.) The other machine involved has a fully wired ethernet connection to our home router.

I am experiencing this same issue. I’m playing on US Dragonmaw from Australia (just moved, haven’t transferred my characters to Oceanic yet). World is consistently around 220, which is the same ping for HOTS games on US servers. Home gets crazy high (over 1000 right now), and I can’t interact with quest givers, chat in dungeons (though I can DO the dungeons), even pet battles are freezing up. I can’t even select a role for my hunter for BGs, so I can’t even queue for BGs (why is that even an option, hunter should automatically be DPS!).

I am also experiencing lots of disconnects when attempting to login. Each time, I check in browser and the internet is still working.

I have tried turning off addons, resetting my internet connection, rebooting modem (MANY TIMES), changing wifi channels, changing dns to 8.8.8.8, ipconfig /renew/release/flush.

I connect with wifi.

I posted about a similar issue on the HOTS forums, where my ping was spiking to 1.5k or more, at random times. That issue SEEMED to resolve itself. Hearthstone also had disconnect issues and no longer does.

WoW worked fine until the latest patch.

I think the wifi is definitely part of the issue - our internet provider says we’ve been connected for 4 days, so it’s not dropping out completely, although sometimes (not every lag spike/game freeze, maybe 1/15) the browser will briefly show no internet.

I’m currently pet battling - it’s taking over 5 minutes from entering my move for the turn to that move executing.

Jialian,

Let’s see if we can rule out the network entirely then. Can you connect yourself to your phone’s mobile network (take the phone off wifi, swap to 4g, and tether your PC to it) and see if it continues that way?

I’m having the same type of issue. Constantly high home MS but world MS is low/normal. I did the tethering that Drakuloth recommended and now that i’m using my cell phone for internet, my home MS is back to normal (around 100). Would this indicate a network issue within my home or could it still be something else?

That would essentially narrow down the issue to a problem with the router\modem or with the routing of the connection provided by the ISP. If the equipment is provided by the service provider, they may be able to swap it out to test. In general though, if it works fine on the mobile connection I’d recommend contacting the service provider.