Evil horde narrative

For who? In this fictional world that ignores real world laws and rules it might be right for the orcs. They come from a SAVAGE world after all.

Rules of engagement are good to have during war time.

You think War mongers are good people if they think themselves to be?

I think that to the orcs, in their genetic structure, believe that they are morally right to fight and war. That it’s in their nature to destroy because they come from Grond which were beings created to destroy the sporemounds, but not wipe them out completely.

Wolves keep deer populations in check, orcs keep everyone in check!

Orcs are stupid and evil, I agree.

What about codes of honor? Doing bad things in a specific way. Like killing captives after prerequisites have been met. Good or bad?

They are being morally right, so they are not evil to orcs. Hell they are not even mad about how the Nightelves opened fire on them when they were innocently gathering lumber. I wonder how the Nightelves feel about unprovoked attacks…

Professional Warriors who go into battle knowing they could die, or be victorious, and are well aware of the consequences of capture, I don’t think there is anything bad in that case. Everyone is on the same page.

Are they?

I mean, if Blizzard came out and said that orcs genetically thought that way, then orcs are inherently evil. Doesn’t matter if they think it’s right, it’s wrong.

Innocently gather lumber?! You mean killing nature spirits and desecrating sacred ground.

Wasn’t your stance that morality came from evolution?

3 Likes

It sounds to me like these types of things are bad or good, depending on the situation then.

3 Likes

Prove those trees didn’t have it coming. Orcs know the truth about rampant nature, first you think they are growing up all peaceful like, next thing you know they turn you into a plant zombie.

Not if it’s orcs!

1 Like

Because as a social species, we evolved with a capacity for empathy and cooperation. This is a situation where orcs evolved to be creatures of destruction.

There are things that are evil and things that are not evil, but good and evil is not determined by perspective.

Not perspective but situation dependent?

1 Like

But if we’re talking in-universe, they would be good from their perspective because that’s their evolved morality, no?

1 Like

No because she is basing all morality off the perception that human morality is the right one.

7 Likes

Well, sure. WW2, the Germans were ethnically cleansing entire populations, I don’t think anyone argues that N–i’s were evil. Even apologist are making the claim that the Holocaust was a hoax, so even they can only deny the evil happened, rather than say it wasn’t evil.

And the Allies were fighting to bring an end to that evil reign. That’s not really a matter of perspective. The German people were even horrified when shown footage of the Death Camps. Despite the anti-Semitism that had been brewing in Germany for generations.

If we we’re talking in universe, but we aren’t. This moral relativism only exist in a fantasy setting.

It is because humans are real.

Let’s say we are. If a race evolved (or was created) with a different morality than another race, would they be justified in viewing that as good?

And we are discussing a fantasy race in a fantasy world. Surely by orc standards they are not evil. By human standards, even in the fantasy world, they are evil.

The example reinforces the idea of “not perspective” but I don’t see how it addresses the “situation dependent”. But, it does say “sure” so Ill take it from there.

If something is right or wrong depending on the situation, who’s perspective for the situation do we go with?

Did Hitler have the correct perspective? Or a perspective that is morally worth considering? Or was he a man with a troubled past past, with built up resentments against the Jewish and Slavic peoples, as well as the Allies as a whole? Do you think Hitler actually believed what he was doing was right? If so, why did he lie to everyone to see it happen? Why would he sooner commit suicide before being captured? Yes, the point I am making is that I believe Hitler did, in fact, know the moral weight of his decisions. And suffered no small amount of guilt for it.

Bitterness and resentment breeds evil. It is the only thing that will drive people to strive to actively make things worse. As social beings, naturally, we want to act as such that will make things better, bitterness, jealously and resentment will undo that. To avoid that, you need to align yourself with reality in a truthful manner. Be self aware and honest with yourself and other people. It does not guarantee that one will be able to conduct themselves with integrity, but it’s your best bet.

If you want to believe in moral relativism, then by all means. I think it is the perspective of cowards who would rather make excuses for themselves rather than face hard choices and admit faults.

I believe people can be right, they can be wrong, more than one person can be right. More than one person can be wrong.

I think people can follow your advice and still end up disagreeing because they can both be right. Or, they can both be wrong.

I think it’s cowardice to reject the idea that someone one may disagree with may be right as well. I think it takes strength to admit that someone they disagree with may have a valid point.

9 Likes