Everyone is important!

The players controlling the characters with lofty titles and scores of accolades have no substance as human beings and need to somehow compensate for it in a cartoon game

You know who you are

1 Like

Kinda rude dude. Some people want to escape from the world when they RP. They don’t need that sort of toxicity on them.

If you can’t pretend to be someone that you’re not in a RPG like this, then where is an appropriate platform?

I get that having lofty titles and unrealistic characters doesn’t appeal to people more connected with the real world. It’s like watching a movie with bad actors.

But you know, so what? Let that person have some fun. Sometimes I am impressed if they can pull it all together with a nice transmog and description. I do have a little giggle to myself thinking about what that person is like in IRL, but it doesn’t matter. You’re invited to join in their fantasy if you want to.

Me, personally, I like flawed characters over civilian characters. Give me someone with a bad stutter, a hooked nose, a terrible dress sense, or a wounded veteran that walks with a cane. They are way more interesting to me than someone who is perfect in every way. Because real people are flawed, and we all have aspects of ourselves in our characters. I think I would get more attached to a character like that.

8 Likes

Looks like my warning was ill-heeded.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this. A few of The most memorable characters I have ever run across on any realm have been these sort. A Stormwind Guard who never breaks character and walks the beat. A retired warrior in a bar, drunk, and complaining about everything in general.

That being said, good RP is good RP, be it the garbage man or Lady Beautiful and Mighty. There are players who create scenes and draw others into the mix. Not by being the center of attention, but by atmosphere and quality.

4 Likes

Quick reminder on the “Let People Have Fun” rule of thumb.

Totally Fine: I prefer to play ordinary characters, I find the realism more interesting and that makes it more fun for me!

Totally Not Fine: I keep seeing all these people around, Lord of this and Marshal that like they’re so important, that makes them a bad roleplayer and they should stop doing that!

This has been a reminder on the “Let People Have Fun” roleplay system. We now return you to your discussion already in progress.

3 Likes

But what if that’s fun for ME though. ARE YOU DENYING ME MY FUN?!

Playing make-believe is fun. Cooperative story-telling can be a really fun activity for me. This all said, yes, there are some people that RP to live out power and/or popularity fantasies. And while they have the right to do that, I usually find their characters either dull or annoying and end up doing anything I can to avoid them.

2 Likes

The general rule of thumb is, “Anything is possible, if it’s written well enough.” Got a lord and lady of the estate? Suppose that’s fine, as long as it’s played well. Got a hozen you want to play, or some other race not in game? Write them well, be a nice person, and you’re totally fine.

Then again, those who have a lot of power and epic plotlines would have an easier time talking with others if they have something that brings them down to earth.

1 Like

It might be part of that but it mostly had to do with the server culture changing from “dirtfarmer or OP and we’ll shame you for being a mary sue lolz” to “play whatever you want as long as you’re not doing things to other characters without their consent.” Most of the people belonging to the former state of mind ended up maturing and changing to the latter, went to other servers or games, or stopped playing altogether.

And really, there’s nothing special about being a baron or baroness. In terms of noble RP, you’re on the lowest rung of the peerage.

1 Like

To those who have said that it’s all about player choice; yes indeedy, that is totally fine!

Roleplaying a character with lots of important titles doesn’t make you a bad roleplayer. I’m glad to see that most people understood that that was not what I was saying. Simply that, because of the sheer number of such characters I am seeing, I’m being pulled more towards those characters who appear to have taken a humbler backstory.

I myself am a sucker for those characters who are balanced and have some negative traits against their positive ones. It just makes them more human.

Or draenei. Or elf. You know what I mean.

1 Like

Me, too, Cordelina.

1 Like

THANK YOU! Everyone is a hero! EVERYONE is SUPER! AND WHEN EVERYONE’S SUPER…No one is.
There is a lack of the average joe or the normal person or even the most medium person.
But then again, here i am playing an Antagonist, but i’m not the commander of an army or the head of the Warlocks in Dread Scar Rift.

1 Like

Actually, fun example. Xie’chi here is a Master Monk… and is only one because they needed some new masters after the Legion invaded the summit. She’s been one over a year now and she still has issues with teaching and balancing it with other duties as well as where her llyalty lies. She’s a good fighter but she personally doesn’t think she’s Master material.

And I love that. Because it lets me add an undercurrent of self doubt to her.

2 Likes

That’s certainly an old mentality and yeah, I believe it’s mostly died out. With that being said, i’ve noticed that folks don’t exactly RP their titles or focus on one angle and I believe that’s what most of us are talking about here.

For example, it’s one thing to RP as a noble of sorts, be it a Lord, Lady, Duke, Duchess, etc. and to make that the concept for your character. It’s an entirely different scenario (that I find really irksome, personally) when characters are a High Priest, a Lord, a Commander/Marshal, a seasoned mercenary for hire and also an SI:7 operative all rolled into one concept.

To me and many others it seems that the titles/concepts are thrown around without any real regard for the RP behind them. Anyone can of course play whatever they want, but I’ve started to wonder whether or not the players behind these characters are actually ‘playing’ these roles or if they just title stack so as to be ‘valid’ in as many different scenarios and scenes as possible.

5 Likes

With so many people roleplaying important characters, it’s very fulfilling to play a bit-character in someone else’s story.

Because being a jaded smartass that makes snide remarks at self-important and super-serious people will never not be funny.

4 Likes

I agree whole heartedly, Bonecrush.

I don’t really care what someone else has chosen for their character. I do find it difficult to RP with someone who has developed some godly main character with seemingly limitless social status and skill.

I’ve had the same difficulty in my D&D experiences. People don’t like their characters to have faults or role play an orc barbarian with 7 intelligence but somehow that character is able to solve complex puzzles.

Seeing someone with 8 titles of nobility or monkiers makes me personally less likely to want to approach that person. I like to play with…dare I say it…“realistic” fantasy characters. I mean fantasy in the way Tolkien did main fantasy characters. Not in the way anime does fantasy characters–fantasy characters who can save the world without being superman.

Nothing personal to those who play that way.

4 Likes

As someone who would be considered an ‘Overtuned Raid Boss’ by your typical freeform RP-Fighters, I for one enjoy going toe-to-toe with the best of them!

Send me not your farmers and common foot-soldiers that’re suffering trauma from wars. Send me your most famous and most flawless, your adventurers that hold titles like a glass closet of trophies! I would be happy to test them, to force upon them physical and moral dilemmas that would give them plenty of reason to validate themselves with mere fancy words of praise! Grant me the opportunity to show the world - your world - just why despite your most brilliant of achievements, you are but one lone individual. As such they enter this world, and as such I will make them part from it. For I am no such ‘hero’, but for each one of you who has failed my demise, I have acquired the means and now motivation to ensure that it is I who plans the offensive!

TL;DR:

1. You do you, people.
  2. While I understand the necessity of the day-to-day ‘hero’ being the bartender who saved a cat from a tree, I simply prefer and enjoy the ‘over-the-top’ dynamic of two ‘extraordinary’ characters going at it.
  3. If you’re looking for a scary cult-based boss for your local story, send me mail or an in-game whisper!

I used to be that person and damn, things change over ten years. Now I’m all about people being creative and having fun and just doing their thing. If I don’t like it or find it lore breaking, I’m just going to ignore it. It’s way easier that way!

I still tend to play more “average” characters in terms of their backstory/home life. Verdy here grew up a farm girl who divided her time between mage classes in Stormwind and helping on the family farm. I like to play that up in RP out in the world so anyone can feel okay interacting with her. She’s still magic, she’s still her ‘Dirt Mage’ self and she’s still popping crystals like pop rocks, which are the main ‘details’ of her.

In private rp, such as roll events etc, Verdy can be a total overpowered Ley Walker with the ability to summon up crystals and stab people with them or uses her pen, Quilliam, to let her make crazy spells.

I think it works well for my playstyle!

2 Likes