Every Rogue I play with has higher damage than I do, what's going on?

Sub, Outlaw, fellow Assassin rogues, doesn’t matter. They are all outperforming me in AoE trash, and either just above, or on par with me in single target DPS. For signhle target, this wouldn’t both me as much, but even the lower ilvl rogues are keeping up with me. Was just in a group with a 366 (almost 20 ilvls below me) ilvl rogue who was neck and neck in single target damage. What gives? Even the Sims that I run say I should be pulling 5k damage higher than what i’m doing.

Single Target Rotation is
Stealth
Garrote
Mutilate
Rupture
Vendetta
Toxic Blade
Mutilate until full
Evis
(Keeping Garrote and Rupture up at all times, rinse and repeat)

AoE is
Stealth
Garrote tab garrote tab garrote tab
Fan of Knives
Evis
Mutilate, to stack combo points, Fan of Knives to renew poisons and evis when full.

Am I just at a plateau until I get better weapons?

Weapons, trinkets, and Azerite pieces are all pretty bad.

Try and get pieces with Nothing Personal/Double Dose/Treacherous Covenant/Overwhelming Power.

One of your trinkets is a PvP defensive trinket. Provides next to no DPS increase. I would check WQs and see what you can get- basically anything, regardless of ILVL will be better.

I notice you have a crit gem in your one slot. I would look into your stat weights, I don’t think that’s right. My highest value stat is always haste with Mastery tailing right behind. Rings aren’t enchanted either (not a big deal especially since theyre ~370, but still, seals are very, very cheap). Weapons are definitely holding you back.

To get a better idea of what you’re doing wrong I’d have to see a log. The rotation you posted seems right, try and make sure you are pooling energy at the appropriate times. Make sure you are using your offensive CDs on cooldown (use common sense of course)

To figure out what your best trinkets and azerite pieces are, I’d try bloodmallet. Raidbots is good for figuring out stat priority.

1 Like

ST You have a shrouded suffocation trait
So maybe try the opener
Garrote/Rupture/Garrote/Vendetta/Toxic Blade/Envenom/(normal rotation)
Vendetta on CD/Vanish Garrote x 2 when those empowered Garrotes run out

If you mutilate to 4 combo points use an envenom don’t mutilate again to get 5cp. You are wasting a combo point and losing up time on Elaborate Planning.

Aoe
Garrote tab garrote tab garrote - Is Fine
Rupture First then Fan of knives spam

3 Likes

Thank you guys for the replies.
Replace trinket, Got a new dagger yesterday so that should help. And stop wasting combo points.

How much crit should I have? I felt that my crit% was low, but don’t know where it should be resting.

And will I lose damage on a 4 combo point envenom over a 5 combo point envenom?

I did take a rather long break from the game and could be wrong on several things but here’s my take based on my current gearing process.

I was told that as assassination, our secondary stat priority is haste first then crit. However, if something drops that’s 10+ item levels with more agility but sub-optimal stats drops, the agility boost is worth losing out on haste. There isn’t really a soft haste or crit cap either from my understanding.

You should use envenom at 4 combo points because using another ability (other than unstealthed garrote to refresh) will cause you to potentially waste combo points. It’s more about energy efficiency than anything else.

I’m not sure if the armory has refreshed or not, but I would replace that PvP trinket ASAP since the its equip effect doesn’t really do much. If you’re worried about getting oneshot by mechanics, then you could swap out Leeching Poison for Cheat Death. I would also change your level 75 talent to Prey on the Weak. The debuff from your stuns will help out a bit more than Internal Bleeding in group settings.

I’m pretty sure that you should always have the dagger with the highest base damage as your main hand. That’s just a guess on my part though. Also, you need some enchants. Deadly Navigation on MH, Quick Navigation OH, cheap haste ring enchants, and I would even go as far to socket agility or haste gems rather than those crit ones.

1 Like

A lot of your gear is Crit heavy which is probably why your dps is so low, assa hasn’t focused on Crit in a while.

Haste and mastery should always be prioritized over Crit. Haste makes dots tick faster and helps energy regen. And mastery is our secondary stat right for increasing damage. Crit trails behind that. I would focus on haste primary and mastery secondary and that will increase your dps.

Also your tank trinket you have is bad for dps. And the other one focuses on Crit and you could use something better instead of it. I suggest two trinkets which are BiS currently which is Kimbal’s razor claws and the new mastery trinket from crucible.

Fix those things and your dps will be right up there with other rogues in your lfr’s. Hope this helped!

There’s a reason why some rogues just seem to do way more damage.

It usually comes down to managing your combo points. Lots of rogues totally mess this up by over stacking combo points. Basically when you have 5 combo points you use a finisher. Your dps goes down by a lot if you waste combo points that could have gone into another finisher.

I see it in PvE, bit especially in PvP with assassination rogue rerolls. I’d be opened up with a cheap shot and garrotte and another garrotte. Then they would mutilate me, wasting 1 combo point.

You can really learn a lot from good rogues like pikaboo or wazz who have almost perfect combo point management

1 Like

Don’t double cast garrote as a previous poster said, its a straight dps loss in most situations. Wow forums aren’t the best place to get accurate information, I would definitely look at the Ravenholdt class discord. Infexious (youtuber) is also pretty solid.

Just reroll a Demon Hunter. Keybind eye beam to just about all your keys and top charts if youre looking for easy. Otherwise youre gonna have to work at it and improve your gear.

Your opener on st would be to garotte rupture garotte for the extra time added to your first beef garotte.

Don’t re garotte until that buffed one is fallen off.

Also in PvE don’t forget to use vanish to get another empowered garotte. Try and pair it with your vendetta windows.

They say it isn’t so, but really “skill” is your IL and yours is low. This game is all about PVE to PVP.

Just about everyone has better IL than you is the answer you seek.

Just my 2 cents. Open with ambush or backstab in short battles so you dont waste ticks on garrote or even rupture

Holy Necro.

Assassination spec doesn’t have Ambush or Backstab. And with Subterfuge talent, Garrote is your strongest opener. Especially with Shrouded Suffocation azerite trait.

You really do just have a vendetta against Rogues don’t you? If ilvl = skill = damage, then there’s no way the lower ilvl Rogues should be on his level or surpassing him in damage.

As far as PvE is concerned, he just needs to make a few tweaks to his rotation (both Single Target and Multi) to see a decent change in DPS