Every Necrotic Week I Get Dumped On In Garbage Groups

Yup, nearly every week necrotic is an affix, I get dumped on in M+ and rarely other weeks. Admittedly, I queue up for a lot of groups, and a lot of times my toon (in this case my main is 225) is the highest ilevel in the group, and often these days it is by 10 or so ilevels (this is like in 15 or so keys–cuz of doing ten for the vault). Regardless, no other week is like that for me–and it is only some groups. They say stuff like “Oh, man, your sustain is bad.”

And most often it is the tank that blames me. I mean, I can see the stacks of necrotic and when they time out. I heal all I can, but so, I go out of mana (as disc) a ton in lower ilevel groups because these guys usually play poorly, and/or expect miracles. I literally spam heal tanks necrotic or not–and still, they die and then the blaming starts. But my HPS is being hammered by the necrotic stacks–so what can I do? And in some groups, typically when the tank has a great io score, it is a whole other story. But even still, I go out of mana a lot even though I am healing like a madman.

It feels bad though. I mean, I do all I can and wonder if there is something else I can do. To be honest though, I track necrotic on my frames with Grid2 and use omni CC (and omni CD), so the timer on necrotic often overlaps the stacks and I can’t figure out how to keep that from happening. But then, I am not sure if it would make much of a difference anyhow.

Is this your experience (or any part of it) as a disc priest (or even holy) as well? Please explain. Should I heal as holy instead? Is there anything else you can do but suck it up and move on?

I switched to Holy until they fix atonement’s scaling problem.

1 Like

I just did 4 +15 for my vault as Holy. Three of them had good tanks and we were fine. One of them was bad and he died a lot from 40 Necrotic stacks. No mana problem becuase I played Holy.

A tip, when you see they reach 30 stacks, go far away and prepare to grip them.

6 Likes

Yeah, I have never done that, and guess I ought to try. Now if I could just get the timer on my frames over the necrotic icon to stop covering the stacks. Or maybe there is a weakaura to show stacks on the tank or something… Hmmm…

Anyhow thanks.

Edit: I found a weakaura that shows tanks stacks.

I find holy to pump heals, but be weak on damage. I’ve also healed holy for so long I’m bored of it. :open_mouth:

Necrotic reveals so many garbo tanks. I’ve only managed to finish 1 of 3 runs this week on my mage so far this week cause apparently dropping stacks is hard. And yeah, once they start approaching 40 stacks healing them is kinda pointless, it’s all on the tank at that point. Either they bail to let stacks drop, or they use something to drop the stacks. Don’t waste mana spamming heals on tanks who aren’t doing their part.

Yeah, good advice. Just wondering though at how many stacks it becomes pointless.

Man, do I miss essences from BFA. They were so great. Maybe I ought to try healing with them, but I’m not sure if you can even do that.

Edit: The essences are dead. Lol! You can still equip the BFA neck but you get a message midscreen effectively saying you cant use them. :open_mouth:

What scaling problem? :open_mouth:

Depends on incoming damage to tank and their current health (and type of tank). If they’re below 50% health, then probably keep going until 40 stacks (which is 80% healing reduction). Cause they’re hanging on and this will allow them to stay in just that bit longer.

If they’re sitting pretty at 75%+ then taking care of others/dps’ing at around 30 stacks and letting them manage their own CD’s/escape plan is fine.

My pally has great cooldowns for example and phial so I can drop stacks with bubble or phial, and if I need to bail I can use steed. But I can just tank at high stacks while I have CD’s.

My DH can stay in for a good amount of time, and because he’s NE I can shadowmeld to drop stacks without leaving and then leap away when needed ez. Also have phial.

My BrM is necrolord and has to do more kiting, but if I’m out of options then my CD’s are not great and I’ll take what healing I can.

Interesting info. I have five disc priests I currently heal on on a variety of servers, and on one, on a ten key the tank was a pally. He had a lot of trouble dropping stacks, and I never once saw him use his steed. I told him a few times he needed to drop stacks cuz he was dying all the time. This was at HOA, and on the second boss everyone but me was getting stacks–not me, because I hit fade so the adds stayed away from me. We wiped over and over with a variety of strats, like the mage decursing me so i could spam heals, getting a garg–which oddly would not attack the boss, etc. Anyhow, the others all were getting stacks and dying–it was a low group–they stood in bad a lot, etc., but this got me thinking and wondering if the tank was not even taunting the adds or something. I mean, why were the dps all getting stacks?

you as a priest can do alot of things to help your tank during necrotic.
1 run to narnia and life grip
2 shackle undead
3 MC a scary mob before the rip and have pull start off by killing the big guy
4 Mind scream or w/e our fear is called

1 Like

Yeah, I have to try the life grip strat, but am worried about doing it cuz I have never seen it used as I only play healers. As for shackle undead, I can try that too. I do use my fear ability a fair bit to be honest and also the pushback one a lot, but the tank needs to run towards me for those to work. Some simply don’t and I had the most trouble today on boss fights where maybe only life grip would have worked, but I also needed to stay in range of the dps so I could heal them.

you combo them, life grip tank, run in fear/knockback but your group also needs to help again if your tank is insistent on manfighing the mobs and getting 50 stacks of necro he’s just bad. there’s very little you can do. ill usually life grip around 30-40 stacks.

Yeah life grip is an option, I’ve used it for Necrotic a couple of times but idk I haven’t had to resort to that too often. But yeah the group can help but it’s primarily on the tank to manage it.

In my case my experience has been pretty different not sure if I’m lucky but the tanks I’ve had have been able to manage it pretty well so there was rarely a need for me to grip em. I play on horde side not sure if that makes a difference in any way.

Pugged 3 dungeons on my Disc yesterday (15 mists ++, 16 NW +, 15 DOS +), no major issues, we did have a Boomie in all runs so having treants for sure helped. I can’t think of anything special from my side, just healed as usual (well ofc tracking necrotic and tank CDs to avoid overlapping but nothing out of the ordinary).

My Priest is 212ish item level, around 1250 io, mostly play it as an alt (maining Paladin this time aorund), all the tanks had also similar IO.

This is my priest:

I wouldn’t be afraid of using Shining Force, Scream, or lifegripping the tank to temporarily reduce damage.

Spamming rapture on the tank helps, of course.

If you’re Fae, the 20% DR for 25 seconds is very helpful. After that, Pain Supp and barrier are useful, but only as a last resort since they are long CDs with short durations. I wouldn’t be afraid to barrier a tank if it comes down to that or them dying.

Those are all things you can do when the tank has unhealable stacks of necrotic. And that’s not including all the things the tank can do to kite/create distance.

If the tank isn’t kiting at high stacks they deserve to die and you deserve a better tank.

Also of course, better to use DR CDs when the tank still has mid/high hp and the necrotic stacks are at a “medium” amount, than to use DR CDs when the tank has lower HP and the stacks are higher, because it’s much easier to recover from/adjust to the former than the latter.

2 Likes

The more atonements you have out, the more damage turns into healing. So they balance atonement transfer assuming maximum atonements out. Meaning raid (specifically, Mythic size raid). For healing 1-5 people, atonement is weak. Paladin’s glimmer had the same problem last expac, and they had to solve it by capping how many glimmers could be out at once. Unless they lower how many atonements can be out or change atonement transfer based on number of atonements out, Disc’s core mechanic will always be weak in small-group content.

1 Like

I’m not sure if I follow. You are saying that atonement is a weak heal because Blizzard balances it that way? As in if it was strong, then on a large group, sheer HPS would be through the roof?

And yeah, atonement healing is not that great. But if the group is good–that is, they avoid a lot or all of the avoidable damage–and if the tank knows how to mitigate properly, then atonement is good in 15s. I’m not sure how good it is though, once you get into the 20s–probably not that great.

Since you know a lot about tanking, I was just wondering if “mitigation” works to manage necrotic. I honestly know little about tanking and the meaning of “mitigation,” but often worry when I see tanks doing a lot of self healing–not always (as with DKs).

Yes. The last three expansions, they have nerfed either damage or atonement transfer rate because the burst in mythic raid was absolutely massive. Except it ends up nerfing small-group content too, where it isn’t overpowered. Things like Sins of the Many are an attempt to compensate in small groups, only the scaling doesn’t keep up with the loss.

Yeah. I really think they ought to introduce a dungeon only or raid only talent tree or even different ones for different content or something to that effect. I mean there are already talents for pvp content, so why not? It would rid the whole game of these dungeon vs raid issues–and once and for all.

You shouldn’t even bother pushing keys this week unless you’re doing it for the GV. This is one of the worst affix combinations ingame. Just looking at the leaderboard there’s barely any timed +20s this week compared to last week which was in the 100s.

Next week is a push week and is one of the easier affix combinations. I’m only doing one key this week and not bothering with anything else.

Yeah. There are a lot less tanks today than yesterday, or at least that is what I am seeing now. I did 2 15s yesterday and plan on getting my 10 done.

Yup, I tried it today. It did help a lot. I also have a weakaura now so can see the stacks. Grid2 + and/or omni CC was blocking the stacks with a timer on necrotic. Now I can see both clearly. That helps a lot.

Eh, Atonement has always been decent even in a group setting. It’s not even really bad now and this is pretty much the worst state it’s been in. Yet we’re still very viable dungeon healers. You’re not gonna be on the very cutting edge of M+ climbers, but the spec performs incredibly well up to +20s, and it’s not particularly horrible or anything.

If Atonement could keep groups up on its own entirely, that’d put Disc on par with this Xpac’s paladins, honestly. And Paladins are crazy overtuned right now. Smend is never going away in its entirety. I’d welcome some buffs targeted toward our core spells, and a new talent in place of lenience - but nothing really indicates some massive scaling problem to me ATM.