Ever thought that Massive Multiplayer destroys Gaming?

Multiplayer kinda brings “high school” to gaming. Gossip, constant comparison, drama.
I feel that one is never focused to the game but to the community.
We’re not competing against the opponent but constantly using the “peripheral vision” to see, predict and pander a crowd that we feel is watching us.

All those things are against the real Gaming mentality. Games used to be an activity which was pleasant because we could avoid and act beyond them.

2 Likes

All I know is my muscles are big.

3 Likes

I believe humanity is basically Good, and multiplayer brings the opportunity to connect with other Good people. For me, it outweighs the interaction with those who have fallen from basically Good into conditioned Evil.

Real gaming mentality? What kind of nonsense is this?

There is plenty of single player games out there if multi-player isn’t your thing. Go give Skyrim a shot if you don’t like WoW.

Could always stop caring about what other people think and do unless they’ve given you some kind of reason to respect them, and like…I dunno…have fun playing the game.

Too many people are lemmings in today’s MMOs - they try and emulate someone else’s reasearch in hopes of performing as good as them. Following user created gate keeping on user created websites with user created addons, etc.

If you can’t compete, stop trying to and just find what you enjoy in the game.

Majority of a community in any MMO is chill and pleasant to be around - problem is there’s a minority who place their value as a person around a video game and put way too much energy into making that happen, to the point of using whoever they can to their advantage. Weak minded people buy into it, bunch of lemming parse brains and rankers who think they’re good at PvP sort of thing.

1 Like

Games have been bringing drama, competition and gossip since Asteroids allowed you to insert your initials after a high score. I don’t know where you developed this romanticized idea of the “real gaming mentality”.

3 Likes

Humans are social creatures. Being a part of a team and overcoming obstacles or defeating opponents together is something we are hardwired to do. MMO’s appeal to that part of our nature, and it’s a big reason they’re so popular, IMO.

But yes, with that comes competition amongst peers. And any time there is competition, there will be winners and losers. It’s just part of it. Try not to be a loser.

1 Like

If you read carefully I never said anything against competition.

i only play this game to show off so

The forums ruin gaming including people with the philosophies you have. The “toxic” and “imbalanced” games are the most fun which is why we are playing vanilla wow 15 years later.

Not really. It’s just some games, like WoW, or LoL attract bad people. Other MMOGs and even other MMORPGs don’t necessarily have this problem. It’s all up to the crowd that you play with.

But in this game, I’m seeing that most of the problems exist in that middle of the pack crowd. The really good players tend to end up raiding together, and while they might trash talk to have fun, usually, if you ask them about improving to play as good as they do, a lot of those players WILL talk to you and help you. And then you have the really bad players. The ones still struggling to get through Strat and Scholo. They’re just having fun. A lot of them have the mentality that if they never clear a raid, at least they tried. And then you have the mediocre crowd. They’re the ones that do eventually clear the raid, assuming they ever think to adjust a strategy for their group, and they’re the ones demanding that you know every single pull before you walk into that raid. On the day a new raid releases, if you’re looking at any games still being developed, you have to know every boss, and have the strategy down completely, and play as close to perfectly as possible. Only use the cookie cutter spec, even if the person who wrote that specific guide missed a major point (like using flamestrike in TBC, not Blizzard). All pots, enchants, flasks, have to be the best you can use, and bought by yourself, because why work together as a guild for that?

I’m confused… Do you exclusively play solitaire??? Most games are inherently designed to be played with others. That’s certainly been the case as long as video games have existed. And really it’s true for most games throughout history.

L2socialskills?

No, get better friends. Next question.

1 Like

Well it’s a good thing there are lots of games that aren’t MMO’s then right?

Entitlement, lack of tolerance, lack of education, having anger and resentment towards other’s achievements…

These are the things that hurt MMOs and real life society in general. People blame others for their failures instead of blaming themselves.

I think it has less to do with the massively multiplayer element and more with the competitive element. The more seriously a game takes its competitive side, the more self-destructive its community tends to be.

That’s not to say that it’s bad for games to have a competitive element. In fact, if it’s done right it can bring a lot to the table, but if it’s not properly tended to it spirals out of control.

Then why are you playing a massive multiplayer game? Look, if that’s what you think fine, but you’ve deliberately decided to play an MMO- why not go play one of those real games that doesn’t have social experiences, there’s literally thousands of good ones out there.

Stripped of the social aspect, WoW would just be a very grindy, very boring solo RPG with broken quests and a story with massive gaps.

1 Like

Well, that realization is a recent thing for me.Thus why I posted about it.

Ah, that makes sense, I misinterpretted. My bad.

If you are looking for an MMO with a far more complete RPG experience there are games like SWTOR, FFXIV, ESO that even without the social aspect can pass quite well as complete solo RPGs.

Both classic and retail have good points and bad points. We weigh the good against the bad to find the better game when looked at as a whole. We have different priorities that influence that choice. My priorities are 5 man dungeons and leveling. I don’t raid much and I don’t pvp. Those who raid or pvp would likely have a different opinion than I.

I don’t play retail for three reasons. The leveling experience in retail is so easy It’s boring. I could barely force myself to slog through it to get this alt to 120. The leveling dungeons have been nerfed so much that they’re an easy zerg, no challenge, no difficulty. Often as a healer I never had to cast a single heal. I just ran along with the group picking up loot. Mythics are run on a timer. I don’t like timers and the play style they force on a groups.

I don’t play classic because it’s “unbalanced” and therefore more "fun."That’s one of the bad points I tolerate because of the things about the game that I do find fun. In fact I’m looking forward to BC where the classes and other parts of the game are more balanced