Eternity’s End Preview: Solo Shuffle

They would have to remove getting items from the box based on rating though, that pushes a bunch of pve players to buy boosts in the first few weeks of a new raid.

Think max or one of the echo guys said they spent MILLIONS on pvp boosts.

• Unlike regular Arena, the first team to kill an opponent will immediately win the round.

Can we expect something along the lines of a hidden MMR or ilvl based matchmaking? With this rule, the team will be defined by it’s weakest link. Most classes can target a 25k HP player and down him in 1-2 hits. When it comes time to play with a sub ilvl 200 player, it’s a near guaranteed loss.

4 Likes

Isn’t this the point of the shuffle? So each player plays with the most undergeared player, the undergeared player’s team loses every match, then everyone else wins 50% and has essentially no rating change while the undergeared player wins 0% and loses rating, until they are so low that they are playing with like-geared or less skilled players, at which point their gear is no longer an issue.

1 Like

I think you hear us then choose to give us what you think we want, and often you’ve been wrong. Blizzard, are you not seeing a pattern? We asked for solo queue for arena AND rbgs, and you give us just arena with the caveat that we are stuck doing 6 matches to get anything out of it. We wanted solo queue, because in other games its queueable AND because it’s an activity we can dive into and out of. Saying we have to do 6 matches is a time sink, and I know you guys love them, but we want the game to be more accessible, not less. Listen to our words, and don’t try to interpret them, we are saying this plainly: we just want a solo queue for arena and rbgs, if you want to put us in a separate bracket, that’s fine. Don’t overthink it, don’t make solo queue into another convoluted system.

3 Likes

Woot, they are listening.

I understand your point about jumping in and out, wanting to just do a game here or there, but I feel like they gave ample explanation as to why they didn’t want to do that, and I think their approach will be a good compromise that just needs to be seen in practice to see how it shakes out. If they can truly make the matches shorter by the changes they mentioned, it should be bearable. My thought is if they can do 1 min prep time, and matches last average 2 min, that’s under 20 min for a set of matches which isn’t too bad.

While systems like Dungeon Finder and Raid Finder have made content much more accessible, players have also given feedback on the impact those systems have on the social element of the game. Queued systems can make other players feel more dispensable since replacements are only a few button clicks away. The process of assembling a group for an activity provides immeasurable value to the social dynamics of a game like WoW. As such, we prefer to keep the preformed group requirement in place for the 2v2 and 3v3 brackets.

I will say, that having played this game for a long time, I met a lot of people through random Qs that I have maintained contact with. When you make a group with LFG – it feels a little different. One of the people in the situation is the group “leader” and there is some unspoken ‘responsibility’ or authority of this person. (Maybe). Or, there’s some sort of expectation of players that the leader invites.

When groups are random, there are no factors such as this that can impede on any positive social interaction. You can more easily talk about strategies to kill a target or even just talk about random stuff with no pressure.

This might not make much sense… but I don’t think you can compare LFG to random group making, especially for a competitive game mode that can get better with the more synergy you have.

Also…

Gear upgrades are also a likely contributor as while Skirmishes do reward Honor and Conquest, they do not offer rating required to increase the item level of your gear.

Seems like a simple fix to copy+paste <WOW_SKIRMISH_GAME-MODE.exe> then add

if win == true,

then

player_rating == + X

AND

if lose == true

then

player_rating == - X

For the majority of this video game’s life span we could just do random battlegrounds & get conquest albeit at a slower rate. And that conquest didn’t need to be upgraded, it was already the best for PvP. So no matter what sort of PvP content you did you eventually were competitive. You just did what you enjoyed doing, and that was very entertaining.

My concern with this system is that we’re funneling choice out the window & into these exclusive systems. You can’t just do random battlegrounds, you’ll have to do solo q or arena or rateds to upgrade which is a massive shift that occurred in Shadowlands.

2 Likes

I for one am interested in giving this a try.

I avoid rated like the plague, but maybe this could do it. I especially like that it is solo queue ONLY.

1 Like

how will factions be handled for solo shuffle? will all 6 participants need to be from the same faction or will this be cross-faction?

Not really a fan of this.
People asked for solo Q, not an entirely new system.

I’m willing to give it a shot, but this isn’t what I saw anybody ask for, nor do I see how it’s going to fix a lot of problems. It just makes us play more games for similar results.

The whole thing feels pointlessly complicated.
I just want to press queue, and go do a regular arena match just like skirms, but with rating and rewards attached to it.

If I wanted to ensure I had a good comp, or played with any type of player at any time, I’d queue with a premade group.

Separating people into another ladder is also going to help the MMR pyramid how?
It literally can be as simple as “press q get your missing spot filled in” for people who want that, while those who do care about their comp will still run with a group. If people care so much about maximizing their comps, they’ll still do it.

6 Likes

i mean you literally complained about booster in your previous comment, how does Duoque make any sense then Oo

Booooooo!

Brawls suck! They’re one week events. This will not keep these players subbed!

Speaking of one week events, Legion Timewalking when? carrot on a stick, this company…

1 Like

I can’t even find one.

Lol i know right

1 Like

Boosting in 2s and 3s is obnoxious because it means between a half and two-thirds of your opponents on the boosting team are overgeared. In a 10 player BG, the MAX boosters you would see is 5, but that would be unlikely, so the 1-3 out of 10 players would be much more manageable. Furthermore BGs are much more objective oriented and thus overgeared players don’t sway the outcome as much as they do in arenas.

Hey! Are the 3v3 rating rewards going to be extended to a ranked solo shuffle in the future if it becomes a reality? Will this extend to 2v2’s as well? I ask this because having these specific rewards feels way too limiting in one bracket.

Also! IMO Remove the 1st death win condition. If games take long they take long, adjust the rewards and compensation accordingly based on performances/ratings/whatever system you use.

You can currently still play 30 minute matches and have a reward of 5 rating and have the next game last 30 min and lose 22 rating.

1 Like

To be frank, i dont think this is what the fans had in mind when asking for a solo que. this will probably lead to even more rating gates on pvp gear in the future.
Blizzard and their freekin monkeys paw.

1 Like

A great idea and the reasoning seems fine to me. Looking forward to seeing it in-game.

Let’s go.

I mean, we probably won’t win, but something something friends along the way.