Error message when logging in (on the forums)

So, I’m not sure where to post this… I felt like Website Bug Report wasn’t quite right since I’m not sure it’s a bug, plus there’s literally zero movement on that forum (since it’s use is simply to report bugs). I encountered this issue a few minutes ago, and I need to know if it’s something to be concerned about.

I was having issues staying online (in game) this morning, so I did a bunch of basic troubleshooting; UI reset, scan & repair, then Tech Support sticky suggested an IP release/renew and a DNS flush, which I did. It ‘appeared’ to fix my game connection issue (although hard to test as that completed only minutes before shut down).

However, I was logged out of the forums, and I’m not sure if that was a result of my troubleshooting. No big deal, but when I tried to log back in, I was sent to a page with an error message, and a banner across the top of my screen saying some of my passwords had possibly been compromised due to a data leak.

Is that a normal occurrence after an IP release/renew and DNS flush? I’ve never seen it before, and I’ve since been able to log into the forums successfully.

It was a bit jarring to see.

https://imgur.com/gallery/NxZj48R

I don’t think that’s from us. I saw the same thing on my PC the other day, didn’t know what it was either. My hubby told me that Edge had started doing that - so this is likely from some other platform, or program you are running. Never hurts to change passwords - and using the same one multiple places just isn’t a good idea either.

You do have an authenticator, yes? That’s actually the very best protection - at least for your Battlenet Account.

4 Likes

I actually haven’t checked on my PC, this happened on my iPhone which is why I thought it was really weird. I haven’t done any Apple updates, so it seemed really random.

I’ve been with Blizzard for years, and I’ve never had an issue with their security, so it didn’t even cross my mind!

I have an Authenticator (and SMS), and I was prompted to approve the login, which never ever happens… is that concerning?

I also just checked, and I’ve remained logged in to the forums on my PC, so it was just my iPhone that experienced this… anomaly. (Aside from that, I really have nothing else running on my PC, I basically use it for WoW and the occasional Edge browsing while camping rares.)

(I also noticed it randomly selected a character for me to post from that doesn’t see much activity.)