So, I’d known that the memory I had in my PC wasn’t on the Qualified Vendor List for best compatibility with my motherboard. That was something that I knew would need to be tested with a memory swap before contacting AMD. The sticks I had didn’t have great chips in them to begin with, hence why they’d been cheap. Sticks of the same brand and similar model in my board’s QVL that had been tested showed that they couldn’t function at the RAM’s advertised speed, were only on the QVL because they’d been down clocked by the human testing them just enough to successfully post.
While browsing compatibility lists for my motherboard, I saw that a dual channel kit I had originally wanted when I built my PC is now on the QVL. The kit only cost me $6 more than I’d already paid, is 200 MHz faster, Samsung chips, and is a reputable brand: G.Skill. Bought the memory sticks, installed them, and…
10+ hours later, still no crash to desktop while playing World of Warcraft, whether running 5-man Legion dungeons or anything else- no issues, whatsoever.
Before the component swap, I had made certain to uninstall drivers for my motherboard to then install ones that match the most recent releases from MSI; they had backtracked to an earlier version of ethernet drivers, and a newer chipset driver is now available. My PC also has the latest Nvidia driver version 451.48 installed. Before upgrading to the newest official BIOS for my motherboard, I had reset my BIOS settings to default and restarted twice before flashing the new BIOS. Restored my BIOS settings manually, and enabled some “CPU Features” that weren’t available in the much older BIOS from Sept 2019. My Windows 10 version is still 1909; I haven’t updated to 2004, a.k.a. the May 2020 update.
I then played WoW on the non-QVL memory until the game crashed to desktop with Error #132, which took about 5 hours. I then saved the DxDiag, saved the MSinfo event log, shut down my computer, turned the power supply switch off, and swapped in the QVL memory sticks (G.Skill Trident Z, 3200 MHz). Booted into BIOS to enable the XMP profile to get the advertised speed of my new memory sticks, saved settings and then restarted.
The BIOS for my board is now the most recent, non-beta, official release with AGESA 188.8.131.52 (build date June 12, 2020).