Enhancement needs to be scrapped, renamed, and remade from the start

Why is it that till this day enhancement shaman feels like a debuff to play? Enhancement shaman needs to be remade from scratch and maybe as a tank spec. I feel changing the name of the class also makes sense because in terms of ‘enhancing’ you do little of that or else it would feel like a class that buffs itself which honestly it feels like its constantly worrying about garbage that interrupts its damage potential.

Enhancement still has no defenses that make sense. Why does every class ever get free leech or an invul that allows them to pop all the heals ever or at least escape intact but enhancement get astral shift that makes them take less damage for 8 seconds and for a godam 1.5 minute cooldown??? They also have no way to break cc or heck they have no cc because capacitor totem is easily noticeable and can be targetted while it takes 2 dam seconds to do a crappy 8 yard 3 second stun. once again at a minute cooldown. Why does it like enhancement was an after thought? Enhancement is also the only melee spec that has no natural dash or leap towards a target instead its some garbage u have to spec into that does no damage and it would make more sense for it to root the target than it means for a warrior to root u mid run. Oh and btw it can only be used at a target so you cant even escape. Your only escape is spirit walk and even that doesnt work cause the moment it’s used u get slowed and back to standing still. ghost wolf sucks its just cool looking. Earth shield doesnt help me survive. Totems have gcd which stops me from doing anything mid battle.

Please remake the class a tank spec and call it something like “berserker” if u want to keep it dual wielding since it seems like thats what enhancement is trying to be anyways. Enhancement shaman is a rogue that cant stealth or CC so its just a lv 10 rogue at lv 120

7 Likes

If you’re having trouble as Enhance, that’s a YOU problem.

You’re doing it wrong.

9 Likes

How do i play it then?

Not the way you are, apparently.

Yes, it does, we have Spirit Walk, which is a sprint on a 1 minute CD.

Yes, we do, we are enhancing our weapons with fire, frost, and wind and smashing our enemies.

Yes, we do, we have Lightning Shield which damages our enemies and boosts our Storm Strikes, and Astral Shift which gives you a 40% damage reduction.

Spirit Walk, again.

We have Hex, which is basically our version of Polymorph.

Basically put, you just need to rethink how you’re playing. Without standing over your shoulder and watching you, this is the best I can tell you, but it’s clear you haven’t developed your understanding of the spec yet.

10 Likes

Lmao you clearly didnt read everything and thats understandable why would u want to. Ive been playing enhancement for years and the problem has always been the same not only coming from me but pretty much everyone around. Enh is the only class that has to try extra hard to be decent. hex and cap totem are ridiculous and interruptable unlike every other melee spec. spirit walk once again I said doesnt help when u can be instantly slowed after casting it.

1 Like

Tbh it’s times like this I’m glad they ignore most feedback

20 Likes

I agree shamans are a joke/ a disappointment.
Enhance has it’s issue but class is the issue
1.Our cc45 sec CD plus if cast on play can control your movement not like the sheep that is spamable and can’t move
And on play can’t control
2.Gap totem 5 sec charge to go off easy to get out of.
3.Our off healing is a joke
4 . Our aoe lacks damage for each
Ele else we have to spam 1 aoe spell to cast another earthquake for it to do physical damage
we are the only class that cast a physical damage spell

1 Like

Hear hear!

I read it.

I like enhancement more than any other. Removing the spec I love would be very not cool. Even the change to Stormstrike in WoD (that’s being reverted in ShL) fundamentally changed my passion for the spec. So that’s issue 1: Just because you’re looking for change doesn’t mean most players would - if OP was framed more as a hypothetical replacement to gauge feedback, here we go…

As a Damage role in PvE:

• I am really angry at the loss of Fire Nova. I have no interest in using the new AoE ability (though I am forced to do so if I want to be invited back).
  • I’ll have to see how the removal of Maelstrom feels because that was my #2 complaint and may be going away. Builder spenders do not feel good to me and I really disliked when the devs thought everyone wanted to have combat feel this way instead… Meaningless button presses to get to a spender, where you’re finally allowed to perform your role.
  • The limited healing capacity makes sense, but there is a problem. I was able to raid heal with Maelstrom and Rain back in the day, so fine, remove that. But it would be nice to have enhancement gain a slight DR and HoT from casting self heals, since they are fairly weak overall - reward using heals to take care of yourself over a longer duration. It makes sense with the removal of bandages to provide this benefit. Further, with such change, it encourages players to use their self-healing over the duration of a fight to spot heal early on. It seems like players currently think they can burst heal in a dangerous spot, which is flat wrong. Enhancement can almost always avoid getting there in the first place. Enhancement survivability is amazing once you understand this, know how to melee kite with earthbind, and use stuns and CC’s effectively.

That said, if there was a fourth spec that ever became available, I’d love to see an Earth Warder that fulfills the tank role, using frozen sheets of ice defensively, Earth to increase beefyness and passive self-healing, wind to avoid enemy attacks, and fire to keep their focus.

4 Likes

I really like leveling my enhance. Bar none the best visuals in the game for melee. Not even close.

I do think we need simply one more spell with a leech effect.

I take way too much damage compared to other toons i have.

Possible a Leech weapon imbue just like Flame tongue/frost brand. Weave it in if you need some extra HP recovery.

I’d rather have that than Earth shield.

3 Likes

Which is pretty lame because all the auto instant reaplliable slows out there. In PvP it’s basically useless.

That’s not what the spec used to be though… We used to enhance our allies. Our wf totem/Mana totem and so many more. It’s honestly pretty lame now.

Lol lightning shield isn’t a defensive. Astral shift is a joke to virtually every other defensive in the game.

Which can be dispelled by virtually every comp in the game and has a pretty lengthy cd. Really not strong.

The current version of enhance feels pretty poop. I’d take litteraly any previous version.

I’d rather they gave us a 4th spec like druid. I’d love an enhance tank spec but I’d also hate to lose enhance itself. The visuals and theme are awesome. I’ve liked most versions of enhance shaman, even if it’s only been strong for a few brief moments in time.

4 Likes

Enhancement is crap, i been playing for years, and its meh, no one will even invite you to groups with a 475 ilvl and 1900+ io because there are better classes that offer more. its sad and should be fixed

4 Likes

Unless you can get 20%+ leech, leech doesn’t really reward well. This is coming from a guy who stacks leech items since Legion (I can achieve about 20% with items in bags and no other passives/corruptions).

The equivalent would be to imagine if Rockbiter Weapon existed with %health per weapon swing, but very low like 0.5%. This could pivot into a tanking specialization but is only to illustrate the thought. The only way to reduce some of the damage issues I feel would be to introduce a slight DR mechanic when self-casting your heal - like 10% over 10s. It’s not incredible but nothing to balk at. Also, since you’re really just using it to top off and get the buff early on, it shouldn’t consume all of your maelstrom when out in the world. Replicating 10% of the heal over that 10s would be a nice bonus but not really necessary… The idea is to get players to take care of their health more often.

Again, of all my experience leveling enhancement, I have had no “squishy” problems. In dungeons, I again have had no real issues, unless I am comparing myself to classes that have pure absorbs, like Cloak of Shadows, Aspect of the Turtle, Touch of Karma, etc. Even then, Astral Shift is incredibly powerful as a 40% DR tool. I think people don’t give it credit because they don’t really “see” the amount of damage it “absorbs” (reduces) in active feedback, like on scrolling text (maybe the skill could be reworked to absorb 40% of incoming damage over the duration instead of reduce incoming damage by 40%, to let players better understand how their defensive operates).

A problem that the revert will bring is with Maelstrom as a resource, you could plug some heals and just focus on not letting mana cap passively (if your healer was young). Sitting on 20 Maelstrom was pretty simple. But, once we have to lose our stacks by choosing to cast a heal, players will be encouraged to use their damage potential instead of their defensive potential. That’s really going to underscore that “squishy” feeling unless there’s some other key corrections made to the amount of healing or damage reduction available.

Personally, I believe Maelstrom stacks really need to make those heals beefy, otherwise it won’t be worth it to lose a 5-stack to heal yourself, let alone pop a Chain Heal to your party… My meters will unfortunately matter more most of the time. That’s what groups typically use at the end of a failed attempt to determine who stays and who goes… And group members often don’t have the capacity or desire to try and side-by-side compare damage, healing, and the criticality of performing an off-role function…

I believe Shamans are getting WF totem back in ShL. Someone else would need to confirm, but Blizzard seems to be trying to make the game feel like an RPG again. It won’t be there yet, and it will take a long time to rebuild what was lost, but I think some recognition should be made for the steps being taken.

While enhancement has its problems, scrapping the spec wouldn’t really be good. It just needs more work.

A tank spec however would be great.

Earth shield
Rockbiter or Boulder fist,
earthen spike,
earthen totem
Earth elemental
Earth wall

Maybe some frost stuff too to kite enemies and harden skin against magical.

Lots of cool ideas blizzard could try

7 Likes

With the way they made enhance and it’s lackluster toolkit in BFA, it really should have been a cleavy tank spec.

(PvP):
No good defensives
No reliable cc/peels
80% nerfed heal surges while every pure dps spec outheals us
Burst only good every 3mins

Should just make us a tank instead of embarassing us like this in a game where demon hunters are a class. Sure in PvE they are fine but even then nobody wants enhance over any other melee unless the other player is horrible.

2 Likes

I do not think you are playing ENH at a level where you notice the shortcomings. I 5 mask and clear 15’s on 8 specs, ENH is the squishiest of them all.

No mitigation or sustain.

all your complaints are 100% valid. i mean i do fine in pve but pvp is just a kick in the face. espeically when u get lucky and play against bad players for a game or two and think “wow mabye my spec isnt so bad after all!” to just be thrown back into reality with players that are just average enough to kill ya.

that being said i dont think we should be a full tank, but id rather be a brusier type that does decent damage with awesome survivability then a glass cannon. especially as a melee class.

3 Likes

And yet, survivability seems to be getting worse rather than better in shadowlands with the removal of instant cast healing surge spam…

Why does blizzard think we don’t need any of the survivability tools back that historically accompanied the maelstrom weapon playstyle?

4 Likes

I think Rockbiter should be our new form of damage migration, since it won’t be used as a Maelstrom generator anymore.

Let it do modest damage, but give us a 10 sec buff called Strength of the Earth.

The buff would boost our armor and stamina by 10-15%. We’d have to keep using RB in our rotation to keep our defense rolling.

3 Likes

I think blizzard is trying to do away with armour buffs and healing in the rotation.

They should buff armour for mail and give us a proper def cd

2 Likes