Enhance needs Mortal strike

Every melee class in their own right , has a MS effect right now. DH,Fury,Arms,Rogue,WW,Druid, Unholy, Survival etc.
The only 3 That dont are Frost DK,ENH, and Ret paladin.

Now lets look at why

Ret paladin, Self heals, Damage reduc, immunities,25sec freedom major offensive CD lasting 25 secs and with pvp talent a shorter 6 sec proc 1. ranged stun hybrid class
Reason for not having MS-> sheer utility and damage output make having a MS OP

Frost DK, damage mitigation, 12 sec major offensive CD on a 1min timer, Abomb limb lol, access to stuns, silences, ranged interrupt , perma slows, reason for not having MS-> Damage output, utility in form of slows, interrupts, blanket silence, etc

Enhance. Major offensive CD? Wolves 1.5min cd unless Leggo’ed into it, we’ll say realistically 1min similar to a frost DK’s Pillar. Ranged kick, very good 30yd range ok, Cap totem stun… 5 hp 1 shotted takes 2 secs for it to go off, and must be placed in location.Insta cast heals at 5 maelstrom good and stacks with earth shield but with every class having a sort of MS, heals are severly nerfed and when ur not elemental blasting or chain harvesting lightning bolt damage kind of weak. 1min free, root that has to be pvp talented and has 9k hp 1 shotted easily as well. thats about all.

Not saying Enh is in a bad place but is not on par with other Melee classes considering Every class has a MS and the only 2 that dont have more utility and raw damage output during CDs.

My thought is to perhaps incorporate a MS effect to lava lash, 9.6 sec cooldown and it’s MS effect can be similar to that of a fury warriors except it doesnt go to 40% because thats ridiculous. Make it 15-20% MS effect lasting anywhere from 8-10 secs, OR 4 sec for 30% Making it an outplay move… IDK just thoughts. Just my opinion curious to see what others may think

5 Likes

Yep that would be a very helpful mechanic to let sham play with different comps

I do not agree. We need more uniqueness to each class not more homogenization. Otherwise we would be playing like one kind of melee class with just different costumes and names.

4 Likes

There are different ways of doing the same thing beyond melee attacks to be honest. Adding water shield to the general tree would have opened up a mortal strike like effect in the form of Unleash Shield for example and is unique to Shamans with lower uptime / area based but potentially stronger as a -50% damage debuff as well (though to be fair -50% damage for 6 seconds per 30 seconds is pretty amazing as a defensive vs melee too).

2 Likes

Currently, the “uniqueness” of enhancement shaman is that it doesn’t exist in 2s and is pigeonholded in 3s into turbo because it can’t kill stuff by itself.

“Avoiding homgenization” is an incredibly lame reason for pigeonholing enhance and making it unviable outside of very specific comps.

If it’s not gonna have an MS then it needs something else. Like really strong kill windows. So it can actually win 2s games and doesn’t need to be carried by a warrior in 3s.

Water shield could be a good compromise fix that gives an MS to enhance in the form of a unique mechanic.

8 Likes

Shaman really have this support fantasy tacked on to them and they won’t let us be carries. Hence why even our stuns cc us or aren’t reliable on their own.

1 Like

It’ll come down to tuning.

But right now, enhance is looking like it WILL have really strong kill windows. So we will function more similar to ret than we do now in the sense that, while we won’t have an ms, we will be more capable of bursting opponents down very fast during our CDs.

Two things in particular vs live on the damage side:

Thorim’s invocation allows enhance to combine lightning bolts with windstrike for higher ascendance throughput

Primoridal wave - allowing enhance to pop off 15-20 MSW stacks in a few globals.

We’ll also have a longer stun window with double cap totem plus a potential “execute” with lighting lasso.

If our kill windows stay strong through tuning, maybe we won’t need an ms…

What if MS was a weapon enchant?

Like for anyone? So anyone could get MS?

At that point, 25% MS might as well just be baked into PvP in general as part of the trinket bonus or something.

What do you mean by this

“Avoiding homogenization” is meaningless at this point. People like to use that term for why enhance shamans can not have tools in their kit they need because it may step on other classes feet, meanwhile they give shamans abilities out to everyone, and tend to leave shamans with no desirable niche.

2 Likes

Speaks for itself, shaman aren’t brought because they could do good damage or could consistently secure kills, but are only brought into consideration with how well they could support another spec’s ability to do so.

Comparable term for MOBAs, the “carry” is there to deal high single target damage to be able to quickly eliminate priority targets.

Except that it is a large reason as to why both Elemental and Enhancement are good, which is why I was kind of confused.

It’s kind of a back and forth thing of specs enabling each other. I suppose in the case of Elemental you could say that it lacks reliable solo kill pressure, and Enhancement has an incomplete kit due to lack of ms and reliable stun.

Hard to win the short game.

Hard to win the long game.

Sub 1% Rep in Melee 2s at 2.1K:

1. Warrior Fury 19.9% (702)
  2. Rogue Outlaw 14.9% (524)
  3. Rogue Subtlety 10.2% (360)
  4. Demon Hunter Havoc 9.8% (345)
  5. Hunter Survival 8.5% (298)
  6. Druid Feral 7.9% (279)
  7. Monk Windwalker 7.4% (260)
  8. Rogue Assassination 5.2% (182)
  9. Death Knight Unholy 4.9% (171)
  10. Warrior Arms 3.9% (138)
  11. Paladin Retribution 2.9% (101)
  12. Paladin Protection 1.8% (64)
  13. Druid Guardian 1.1% (37)
  14. Shaman Enhancement 0.9% (32)
  15. Death Knight Frost 0.9% (30)

3s rep consistent with limited comp options:

1. Warrior Fury 21.9% (391)
  2. Paladin Retribution 10.9% (195)
  3. Death Knight Unholy 10.0% (178)
  4. Druid Feral 9.7% (174)
  5. Demon Hunter Havoc 9.6% (171)
  6. Rogue Outlaw 6.2% (111)
  7. Rogue Subtlety 5.7% (102)
  8. Hunter Survival 5.3% (95)
  9. Shaman Enhancement 4.8% (86)
  10. Warrior Arms 4.5% (81)
  11. Monk Windwalker 4.2% (75)
  12. Rogue Assassination 3.1% (56)
  13. Paladin Protection 1.8% (33)
  14. Death Knight Frost 1.6% (28)
  15. Druid Guardian 0.6% (10)

I’m not sure what Rep has to do with anything, although, yeah, Enh is a bit of a weak 2v2 spec, as least when played conventionally.

Seems to me, it “has to do with” being indicative of enhance having trouble killing stuff w/o a warrior due to lack of good stun and ms.

2 Likes

You hate to see being less represented than 2 tank specs :face_vomiting:

1 Like

I mean a lot shaman utility is unreliable on its own be it stuns/roots/damage (RNG)/hex

You don’t really build comps with shaman dps as the cornerstone because thematically the class has always been a jack of all trades master of none sort.

When they are it’s hinged on an unhealthy mechanic/tuning (enhance healing, bfa S2 ele with surge of power/hp% lasso damage)

This isn’t to say shaman isn’t a force in it’s comps, it just plays a highly supportive role. Which is why resto tends to be more concrete in its role (earth grab, voodoo mastery, purge cost/opportunity, pack spirit (lol))

But reliable solo kill potential, MS, good disables are hallmarks of “carries” like someone else said. A term from mobas

Ele shaman would be comparable to Lion from Dota 2 in the roughest napkin comparison while I’m eating pizza between classes

DF shaman and SL feel like they’re 4 expacs apart.

PvPing with icefury and stormkeeper cus my keybind for lava burst is completed faded on my keyboard

heres to hoping they make ele be a carry in dragonflight. I’m sure they gonna nerf it hard tho.