End the war on solo gameplay in WoW

It’s ironic considering he has done more for the solo/casual player.

Why do you despise solo players so much? Just curious.

4 Likes

I don’t know—I like a good grind. One of the things in vanilla I most enjoyed was the Cenarion Circle solo exalted rep grind in Silithus after AQ gates opened. That was grueling, requiring tens of thousands of kills, stockpiling thousands of items for summoning templars and dukes and for turn-ins after maxing out kill reputation, completing absurd numbers of missions in the nasty elite bug holes for currency, and silithyst run-backs that exposed you to being ganked by the other faction.

It wasn’t for everybody, and I don’t personally know anyone who did it except myself. But that’s kind of the point, and I had a blast with it for more than a month. Cool thing was, it gave unique rewards that you couldn’t get from AQ. They were around 20 ilvls below AQ purples iirc, but you could only get them from the missions currency—which meant even if you took the much simpler path of raiding to exalted, you still needed to do missions if you anted those items.

2 Likes

That’s probably fair. It seems like they want to go in a super hardcore direction, but a handful of folks do work that pulls them back from it… but the end result is a muddled mess where the game is 90% for hardcore players but the systems aren’t even fun for them.

Like what?

3 Likes

I actually don’t. I have an issue when solo players cry and demand the devs to cater to them.

I have an issue when solo players try to hide behind the term casual to excuse why they are bad.

I don’t care if you choose to play the game solo. I personally can’t stand it but if that’s what you enjoy go for it.

Given more accessible content. Instead of having nothing at launch he gave solo players a full set of armor that required nothing but questing and upgrading via solo play.

Boe weapons that were almost equal to LFR.

There is tons and tons of stuff for solo players to do. However all they do is complain and want mythic level raid gear for doing trivial content.

You mean… the Covenant Armor set?

Do you consider that a viable means of progression for solo players?

Like what?

3 Likes

If mindless grinding is content to you, the Avowed rep exists for you to engage with.

The problem is, all that is true. If the rewards are good enough and immediate enough, it will feel mandatory, and also it will alienate bad players. Torghast was exactly this - bad players hated it, mythic players hated it.

Solo content systems should be time-gated or patched in after a patch. I think the Korthia time-gate behind Renown was a good idea for instance, although the Korthia content itself was flawed with its progression structure. Korthia 233’s were not something raiders were wearing and that was VERY MUCH a good thing.

Bad players would still feel jealous of skilled players getting gear they can’t, but you would at least take away that top-end frustration from Mythic players funneled into content they don’t want to play.

Yes.

In 9.0? Absolutely.

In 9.1 you had Korthia which gave up to 233. Infact Korthia was too high an award to begin with.

9.2 will have ZM.

Pets
mounts.
Korthia alone has 4 or 5 mounts.
There’s old content
Torghast

Just because solo players choose to limit themselves is their issue.

Yeah, 233 was too high.

“Casuals” pretend that Korthia was too casual unfriendly, I’d argue the fact it was so casual friendly undermined a lot of other pieces of content. It basically deleted Tazavesh, it deleted Normal, and undermined the progression of Heroic. It killed low keys as well. Korthia basically corrupted the “heart” of the game, which is that pool of Normal/Heroic raiders. They matter more than solo players who are fickle and quit on the drop of a hat, and they matter more than Mythic raiders who are a smaller minority of players.

9.1 was a disaster because it harmed the most important players in order to try to pander to players who were always destined to go play something else when the hot new patch, expansion, or game came out, because solo players don’t have social bonds to keep them playing this game.

2 Likes

Personally, I’m not really concerned about that if it’s going to remove a big chunk of rewarding content for way more people (including those mythic raiders who would enjoy it as something to do for alts or on off nights)

I’m ok with that too. People need to get over assuming they will complete everything. I’m not that good and would probably be shooting for the heroic difficulty version.

Trying to avoid complaints in a game with such a varied demographic is always going to fail.

1 Like

Agreed 100%. Solo players are in denial that they are the smallest group in the game. Even mythic raiders are higher.

The main body of players are casual and normal/heroic raiders c

Here’s the problem - the bad players and the Mythic players are the most vocal.

There are tons of Normal/Heroic raiders… but they just enjoy the game. They enjoy the game, have a beer, play with their friends, and don’t post on the forums. The problem with Blizzard is that Blizzard is actually bad at understanding their own player-base sometimes and don’t have the spine to simply resist the whining. Sometimes they do the right things, but other times they let themselves be bullied by loud “content creators” or whining Mythic raiders or screeching baddies.

It’s actually a miracle they didn’t nerf Mage Tower to complete heck. I guess because the content is cosmetic the arguments from certain players are teethless, but it still could have gone wrong.

1 Like

I wasn’t even aware that it existed. I’ll check it out. It looks like it’s a dim reflection of CC with a transmog and mount at the end.

Korthia is a deeply, deeply flawed avenue for solo play. By the time you can even qualify to boost your ilvl above 220, you’d have had to do boring, soul-crushing dailies for over 30+ days.

Given how the vault exists, I can’t see how any casual/solo player would engage in this system rather than try their best to break into Mythic+… or quit. TBH: I think most opted for the latter.

I get it, but when you say “mounts”, what do you mean? As I don’t really view hitting up ICC for the hundreth time over 3 years trying to get Invincible is “meaningful, solo content”. I know some might, but guessing on WoW’s current trajectory, it hasn’t been enough to sustain a healthy playerbase this expansion.

3 Likes

How is it false? you reinforce this idea every time you respond. If you didn’t care, you wouldn’t go looking up parses on toons that flat out told you that’s not the focus of their gameplay.

4 Likes

Patches typically last 6-8 months. 30 days is not a long time for a no-skill progression system to unlock rewards.

I think you focused on the wrong part of this… lol

you’d have had to do boring, soul-crushing dailies for over 30+ days.

That’s the trade off you get. Infact catch up gear should never be above normal Raid level loot nor should any solo way to gear because of how easy it is to do.

Solo players don’t do mythic plus or raiding therefor the vault doesn’t matter.

You really need to stop acting like being a casual means you’re bad at the game. Some high key pushers are casual.

Being a casual is nothing but a time played metric.

You’re thinking that solo players make up a huge group of the game is flawed.