End Heal Tanking

No what I’m saying is if you were to compare a brewmaster or prot warrior to a DK, a DK might have twice their healing done, but also twice their damage taken (I’m exaggerating slightly), resulting in BDKs needing just as much healing as other tanks, but self-healing more because they take more damage.

1 Like

Skimming through other players logs I’m seeing blood dk’s taking at times ~15k + dtps (damage taken per second). This also depends on the fight. Even while parsing ~90th percentile on healing or higher it does not make up for that increased damage intake.

On warcraft logs, you can just swap the damage taken chart to ehrps (Effective healing required per second). Just takes out all self healing. I typically use grong for comparisons since it’s not playing to anyone’s weaknesses (or at least equally between the bleed, smash, nature damage).

I don’t want to be like a warrior. I find the concept of passive defenses incredibly boring. If I wanted to play like a warrior I’d play a warrior. Warriors are in a good spot right now, why are you even having a whinge?

1 Like

The only passive defense is armor.

You have 9% haste as a prot warrior, a spec where haste is the highest secondary stat…you are a bad warrior.

3 Likes

…How do you think warriors mitigate most of the damage? Block is a huge part of our toolkit.

1 Like

Look, I was tanking Seawall and Mekkatorke with a similarly geared BDK. I took less than 60% of damage he took, with the damage reduction/block/ip. He made up the difference by healing that 40% back. The amount of external I needed was less than what he needed.

2 Likes

I had similar numbers on zek’voz in Uldir, pre-buff. Warriors are beefy.

You are a bad troll. Post flagged.

Let’s try to keep the personal insults and “get gud” posts out of this thread. Please stick to the original topic of the post.

Did you have something to say about the topic of this thread?

I have had to make alchemy and health potions part of my toolkit just to survive in many situations. Have any non-warrior tanks had to do that?

Significant self-healing for some tank classes/specs and not for others tank classes fundamentally unbalances the game, especially in pvp.

1 Like

Let’s try to keep the personal insults and “get gud” posts out of this thread. Please stick to the original topic of the post.

You have 9% haste, the most important secondary for a warrior, and then you are complaining about having trouble surviving as a tank, maybe the two are related?

I have plenty to say about this topic, but none of that matters unless you admit you aren’t playing the class correctly in the first place. Heal tanks and mitigation tanks requires about the same amount of external healing to survive. However, YOU, in particular requires more, because you aren’t geared correctly and can’t maintain shield block.

2 Likes

I have had to make alchemy and health potions part of my toolkit just to survive in many situations. Have any non-warrior tanks had to do that?

YOU have to make that part of your kit, not prot warriors.

Significant self-healing for some tank classes/specs and not for others tank classes fundamentally unbalances the game, especially in pvp.

Let’s do the math here. Say a boss deals 2 million damage. A DK would likely take about 1.5 mil of that and heal about 500k of that. A warrior on the other hand, would take about 1mil of that damage and block/reduce the rest. Is there a difference in the end? Both require about 1mil of external healing.

This is obviously a simplified calculation, the effectiveness will differ from boss to boss, but warrior is not at all behind the heal tanks this patch.

1 Like

I have some suggestions for your gear, you can try them and see if it makes a difference.

Helm: Take iron fortress for the first ring, not blood sport
Shoulders: taken Deafening crash as the first ring, you should always have 1 but only 1 of that trait.
Replace gloves, pants, boots, and both rings with haste/mastery or haste/vers gear. Also enchant your rings with haste enchant.

Find a tanking weapon with stats and not a proc effect and enchant it with haste.

Also, your talents
Tier 1: take Into the fray instead of Punish
Tier 3: take unstoppable force, though this is more of a damage boost
Tier 4: take Bolster
Tier 6: Take either Booming voice or Devastator, BV is a better damage choice though, especially for M+
Tier 7: Take AM

From your talent choices, it looks like you are trying to make IP your primary damage mitigation. That doesn’t work this xpac, as IP is severely nerfed. You want to get as much block uptime as possible.

2 Likes

And block. >.>

Well, Prot wars had / have Mannoroth’s bloodletting manacle legion legendary wrists which I use for timewalking. I heal for 507 for every 30 rage spent. If I didn’t have them, I’d use the lego belt, rethu’s incessant courage. If I didn’t have that, then maybe the ring that grants 2 talents on same tier. If i didnt have that, then…maybe the rage dmg lego gloves. If i didnt have that, then…

I’d probably enchant more to mastery, stamina, same with gems. Strength adds to armor, and some to parry but not much.

To put it short, those wrists are OP and I don’t know of any gear for bfa does the same.

1 Like

Best gear in BFA for prot warrior is azerite armour with the deafening crash trait (only need/want one), which extends demo shout’s duration by up to 6 seconds per cast. It’s pretty significant.

Your talents are all wrong. Katryona mentioned what to take, I’ll chime in here. 3: unstoppable force isn’t just for a damage boost. Having the reduced CD of thunderclap means more rage gen and more ignore pain. 6: booming voice isn’t just for damage, but it’s also again for more rage gen. You generate the most rage with booming voice.

Not speccing into one deafening crash is a huge mistake. Respec your shoulders asap.

You are wrong. My haste for prot spec is 11.98%.

Not that it matters that much. Blizz deliberately nerfed haste in this expansion. Anything less than 20% sucks. I guess we are supposed to get the rest from procs on Azerite traits.

Not asking for advice. Not wasting enchants on crappy leveling or early progression gear.