Elune's Silence

There is none no. Which when you consider it is odd given they are so tightly bound together. The kaldorei have been worshiping the Wild Gods for thousands of years, after all and there are shrines to them throughout Kaldorei lands. You’d think they would come to their aid like the Loa assist the Zandalari, it is a similar relationship.

2 Likes

Actualy I’m not even sure that the Wild Gods are even sentient unless nature is in severe inbalance.

The wild gods are certainly all sapient. They just don’t always have the mindset of a mortal.

1 Like

You don’t know what you are talking about.

Read the last chapter of Elie Wiesel’s Night for an eloquent explanation of how he lost his faith after experiencing the events of the Holocaust. A crisis of faith after suffering immense tragedy is not “dumb,” it is typical.

1 Like

I recently read an article that reported on the opposite:

The data showed that people who had been more intensely affected by the violence of war were more likely to join or participate in religious groups and practice religious rituals. The data, collected in 2010 and 2011, came from previously published work by other researchers.

The more profound the impact of war on an individual — such as the death, injury or abduction of a household member — the greater the likelihood grew of that person turning to religion.

2 Likes

A Christian World View and a Naturalistic World View are two very different perspectives. A crisis of faith makes sense for one and not the other. Especially when we have a historical record of Night Elves emboldened by tragedy.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by “naturalistic” worldview, but…yeah. You have to have faith to begin with in order to have a crisis of faith.

Akiyass: I’m aware that many people do cling more tightly to faith when confronted by tragedy. But the opposite response is also not uncommon. My point is that to say it is “dumb” for Tyrande to react by doubting her God is wrong; we have many real life examples of devout people doing the same thing.

2 Likes

Abrahamic worldviews and shamanistic/pagan worldviews are very different. My point was your comparison wasn’t a fair one. Christianity is very explicitly a faith dealing in morality, where many of the earlier faiths had nothing to do with morality. It is those earlier faiths that Elune is explicitly derived from and inspired by.

It is dumb. It is an attack on the entire racial identity of the Night Elves.

Worship of Elune is the bedrock of Kaldorei civilization. You literally see moon motifs everywhere in their architecture and it is not an accident the temple of the moon was by far the most massive structure of Darnassus. You take out Elune worship and you kinda get really tall humans with pointy ears.

1 Like

Or Highborne.

There have also been plenty of Night Elves who have joined the Legion or the Twilight’s Hammer (or specifically Ragnaros). Night Elves abandoning Elune is not new. This is just the first time that it has been about feeling Elune had not done enough, rather than Night Elves being swayed over to the other side for the sake of that side.

Though I do think it is strange that Tyrande can both channel Elune’s power and question Elune at the same time. I guess Elune isn’t as finicky as the Light is.

Yes but Kaldorei abandoning Elune is new.

Well maybe the powers of an undead archer weren’t enough for her.

1 Like

Being fair even Highborne architecture has a lot of lunar motifs. Before Azshara rose to power the architecture the Highborne co-opted already was in place.

I agree. It is not new for Kaldorei to fall from service to Elune certainly. our largest example before BFA were the druids of Flame.

what IS new is this wholesale doubt that seems to exist as a dull roar within what remains of the Kaldorei. I am a bit uncomfortable with its implications going forward.

They were called Kaldorei before Azshara was queen, too. And they walked away from Elune back then in larger numbers than even the few that have now:

Drowned Oracle says: We should never have forsaken the grace of Elune for the vanity of the arcane!

That is fair. I had meant in game, and had sort of filed the oracles in my ‘BFA’ brain folder.

1 Like

With any luck, it’ll turn out that Sylvanas’ Val’kyr are working with the same “hungering darkness” as Sylvanas is, and their empowering Nathanos to hold as long as he did can be explained by all the death Sylvanas caused giving her Val’kyr greater powers as well.

People have been know to come back to Elune and be forgiven for it, even the worst of monsters (Satyr, Twlight’s Hammer cultists):

There are two Satyr are reverted back to Night Elves in game. One was Priestess Driana in Azsuna, who was a ghost Satyr, and was reverted into a ghost Night Elf, and she rejoined the Court of Farondis. The other, more obvious and prominent one, is Avrus Illwhisper in Ashenvale that tears his own heart out to cure a dying Night Elf and he does become a Night Elf again, Avrus the Redeemed, by Elune’s will.

We also see this with Zamael Lunthistle’s ghost in the Searing Gorge, who joined the Twilight’s Hammer, but repented to Elune, and his soul was forgiven by Elune.

This is a strange story trope that a lot of media has accustomed us to. This moral paradigm that doesn’t work on a “scale of deeds” system but is rather simply having an all-forgiving god that will accept any repentance as long as it’s sincere enough.

2 Likes

keep dreaming

If they’ll do something night elf related, it will be further spitting on our grave, such as:

• Redeeming Sylvanas
  • Villainizing Tyrande
  • Giving Horde undead night elves

or others…

An archaic use of the name. Currently, the distinction between Highborne and Kaldorei is more explicit. Mostly because after the sundering there was a major cultural shift towards Elune for the Kaldorei. The deviation from Elune pre-sundering was from Highborne arcanists. So I stand by what I said, this is the first time we have seen Kaldorei abandoning Elune. And the narrative it serves is the deconstruction of the racial identity of the Kaldorei.

At this point, I wouldn’t put it passed Blizzard to do any of those things.

But I’d indeed rather keep dreaming until those things happen.

You’re not wrong.

I suspect, though, that Calia will renew both the Undead Night Elves’ and Tyrande’s hope and faith in Elune. Not really the best approach, but I suspect Calia will be the bridge to lead to peace between the Forsaken and the Horde and the Night Elves and the Alliance.

uuuuuhg… yes, please, let’s have ANOTHER human lead us poor wispy souls to salvation -_-

5 Likes