Elune's Silence

So I kind of have a problem with this mentality, especially with the whole “Elune abandoned us” thing that’s been going on in game.

What exactly was Elune supposed to do that she hasn’t already done? She bestows powers to her clerics, like any deity.

What other deities in Azeroth have acted in a way that would have helped there?

The Light? Pretty much acts the same way as her, personal power to believers.

The Loa? They couldn’t even stop their own worshippers from killing them, both in Gundrak and in Zandalar. Certainly not strong enough to stop the entirety of the Horde.

In Warcraft, the religions have very real, very measurable abilities and powers. But I’ve never seen nor heard of any instance a religious figure in Azeroth poofed out of nowhere in the sky and swept away all the bad things.

I really don’t know why both players and in game characters were expecting Elune to just burst from the clouds and smack the horde with her big old fists of righteousness, or something to that effect. That kind of direct interventionism has never happened in Warcraft.

9 Likes

Elune isn’t going to stop the horde invasion. How else was she supposed to purge Kalimdor of all the unfaithful in the ranks of the Night Elves?

What wildlife did they consult when making the moonwell in Stormwind? Did someone have a conversation with the Sewer Beast?

1 Like

As no doubt many will chime in, Elune is supposeldy “the only true god” in Azeroth.

True. But being a “true goddess” might come with its own limitations and rules, Like say, the Void Lords have where they struggle to manifest into physical reality for more than a few moments.

1 Like

Some people are completely misrepresenting Elune. Elune isn’t a deity that does everything for her followers. She doesn’t want complacent worshippers. She expects them to fight for themselves with the help of her blessings. That’s how it’s always been.

11 Likes

You mean the Moonwell with Normal water in it? No idea.

2 Likes

I totally agree 100% with that. Elune has always been the sort to give her followers the tools they need and rely on them to do what is needed. She seems unwilling to meddle directly; if she is as powerful as she has at times been hinted at it could be for our own good. It is much the same reason the Titans meddle indirectly through intermediates. Their power is so vast they would do more harm than good.

4 Likes

It’s basically some weird “gotcha” moment by folks who selectively forget how many other powerful forces or items the writers ignore for the sake of their narrative.

3 Likes

Maybe Sylvanas’ quote on Elune interfering was really just her realizing Elune had managed to wiggle a toe out of the lore hole enough to do -something-.

4 Likes

The only example I can recall is the Scythe of Elune, and we know how that worked out.

A boon one can expect from a Goddess of Balance. Every Spring follows a Winter, every Fall follows a Summer. Always something for something else.

That’s a pretty crappy response considering that the Scythe really did not work out at all, probably because it needed an ArchDruid, not an untrained Sentinel to function properly.

The scythe of Elune was not a gift of the goddess. Rather, it was created from Goldrinn’s fang and the Staff of Elune. It was a really dumb idea on the part of its creators that the light of Elune that made Goldrinn so irate would be able to pacify his representative druidic form.

Bring down the proud who try to cast off the chains of fate. As the instrument of the Raven Queen, you must punish hubris where you find it.

The Ancients generally don’t get involved unless their favorite mountain forest is in danger. Cenarius had to actually convince them to fight during the War of the Ancients. I don’t think any of them would get involved in what was basically mortal affairs.

Well, except for Cenarius anyway. But the last time he charged in with the intent of protecting the night elves from the Horde he kind of got killed. I imagine he’s not so keen on repeating the process.

He also ONLY charged in because he sensed the Fel Taint in the Warsong clan and believed they were a precursor to a Legion Invasion. Unlike the NE forces active in that region, his involvement in that affair had little to nothing to do with protecting the NEs; their trees; or their lands (beyond preventing another Legion Assault … which he WOULD get involved in).

Yes but when that sentinel Velinde Starsong appealed to Elune for aid against the demons of the Felwood, the Scythe was what was delviered. I didn’t say “created” but delivered. In fact there was a humorus webcomic that lampshaded the event.

Copy and paste the text below removing the space to see it.

h ttps://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/e29e8417-50f2-4854-9254-dcb6d0cf203d/d5kghod-a81d24fe-1538-4730-b6a0-0b92c177a1c6.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2UyOWU4NDE3LTUwZjItNDg1NC05MjU0LWRjYjZkMGNmMjAzZFwvZDVrZ2hvZC1hODFkMjRmZS0xNTM4LTQ3MzAtYjZhMC0wYjkyYzE3N2ExYzYuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.ENzZ4mXQVsqstdNj5Q31pyCZU31scrrDQ03m-OIGBGg

True. Though he has also always been especially close to the night elves. He’s very fond of them and has been trying to nurture them into his own perfect druidic civilization ever since they stopped being trolls. Even going as far as to watch them from a distance during Azshara’s reign and silently smiling at the fact the lower class still loved his trees.

… Actually kind of creepy when you think about it.

But yah. Cenarius is the only wild god with a relationship as close to the Kaldorei as some users on this forum expect from the whole Ancients pantheon. And even then he’s still rather distant and not as active a force in their lives as say, the loa are for the trolls.

And again, I return to my question. Is there any indication that the Wild Gods (Cenarius Included) would interfere on the NEs behalf in what at least on the surface appears to be merely a conflict between two MORTAL political powers?

I’m going to wager … probably not. They never have before.