Elune's Silence

I mean if you are going to pretend elune is a constant character abd not a plot device for the writters then the night elves should stop wroshipping her they should have stopped after the war of the ancients where she again did even less. She isnt ever going to save them she isnt ever going to do anything to big or meangful she will never be do anything but minorly support them they might as well convert to the human worship of the light for all the help elune has given them.

And yes thing happen because writters say so not because it is in chatacter or makes sense or has logic or is good when they are really really bad. Good writters mske sense and characters act how they should bad writters have characters do things because the plot says so logic and charactrization be damned.

Still Elune not doing much is in charscter as she never does much. If you think she should have poofed all the elves away or made sll the horde stop attacking ir maje a magic barrier that is actully writting Elune more out of chatacter than the current writters do.

So it is either Elune completly breaks character and breaks the story with a massive miracle or she stays constant and does nothing damned if you do damned if you dont. At this point revealing Elune is just the night elves misunderstanding the light itself as a force could only help her reputation.

Hey I’m all for it turning out Elune just chose not to act. It’d make for an actual interesting story for the Night Elves to deal with a crisis of faith based schism in their ranks. Finding meaning beyond worshipping an absent deity. Definitely more interesting than having them be worfed all the time too.

Elune is a ‘bad goddess’ for the same reason that the orbital space laser is a ‘useless weapon’, and the same reason the entirety of the Ancients and all those nature allies of the nelves ‘do nothing’. The writers didn’t want their preferred outcome upset, and they wanted to have the night elves lose… again.

The naaru aren’t swooping in to save the world either, despite being angelic manifestations of the Light, and despite having done so before, it doesn’t make the Light bad. Elune powers every single night elf priestess, and every single night elf has moon-blessed eyes, that’s not her being absent at all. Elune has more massive interventions under her belt than the Light does, at this point.

I’m hoping for some explanation beyond ‘Elune is corrupted’ or something along those lines, but we’ll see how it goes. But she’s not absent, she gives her followers many ways to help themselves, the same as the Light does the same to its followers. Hopefully the reason she’s been less active or couldn’t intervene in the Burning is because she’s been holding off the Void Lords all this time, or something to that effect. Anything but corruption, really.

I don’t know, ‘Elune’s Silence’ feels pretty cheap, and honestly the whole undead nelves losing their faith in her, and Tyrande saying she abandoned the kaldorei just seems really… off. If she’d abandoned them, then Tyrande wouldn’t have any of her new powers, or any powers at all, night elves wouldn’t have their glowy silver eyes, and every single night elf priestess would be powerless. Also the moonwells would probably croak too… it’s just another hamfisted way for the writers to try and cover up a clumsy narrative and innate desire for orcs and zombies killing elves.

16 Likes

I mean she has never not been an absentee it just bugs me that this is the bresking point where elune is demanded to have acted in a way she never has before. Where were the outcries fir her to stop the legion the three time they invaded why did no one lose faith during the war of the shifting sands or satyr wars how was she not fotsaken after she did nothing during the war of the ancients. Elune has been getting more and more active in bigger ways it seems.

Seens the key to nigt elf faith is to not help them and hope they keep beilving anyways.

3 Likes

For me it’s because her lack of intervention hasn’t resorted in the near extinction of the people she supposedly favours before now. It’s the whole problem of evil argument. She’s either unable, unwilling or outright malicious(not this one obviously). None of the explanations really speak well of her.

The war of the ancients could have killed them all and lead to the end of life in the universe her reaction 1 personal shield said person being bubbled might have been super important but inntheory she could have and should have done more

Also the answer is 2 fold forst she is unable because story second the problem of evil is more big G god issue a i created the universe and love all kind of big G elune is not that she isnt even all loving

2 Likes

Are you trying to get me to agree with on that one too? It sounds like Elune’s just gotten lucky that everything worked out without her intervention so far and that she’s an incompetent goddess as others and myself said.

I’m not exactly using it to describe Elune’s reaction to evil in the universe just her reaction to the suffering of the race she supposedly chose and looks out for.

1 Like

I am more asking why this counts as Elune abandoning them when worse conflicts have gone by and they still follow her instead of the far more helpful wild gods. Then again active super powerful gods break the story.

Tge suffering thing again comes to Elune likely not being all powerful her record shows she isnt exactly the kind to save anyone except those with plot importance.

1 Like

So not worth believing in which brings us back to my point above about a schism in Night Elf society being a good plot. Even Tyrande is doubting her at this point so it stands to reason others would be too.

1 Like

Ask yourself this do you really think current blizzard could make that a good story? The schism would just amount to one side being misguided and evil a black and white story.

2 Likes

I don’t know, most of the priestesses are dead now, it might not even be that much of a conflict.

You have more faith in blizz than me those like tyrande showing doubt would go evil and anyone with faith like shandris would be shown as good with her likely being picked as next high priestesses

1 Like

Oh I’m sure it would but we’re on the story forum not the reality forum. I still like to discuss potential plots.

1 Like

I like to speculate but i try to be reslistic i mean i want demons for allied races but realisticly it wont happen

The problem with discussing the story at this point is that Blizzard has said repeatedly that they just do whatever they think would be cool, and that adhering to canon only limits creativity. “We’ll do whatever the hell we want” doesn’t allow much room for discussion, because there are no springboards that aren’t made out of balsa wood.

14 Likes

Has Elune EVER been as active and blunt a force as people here seem to assume she should be? As far as I can tell, she’s always been more of a passive force working in small but tangible ways in the background of events. Even the Night Warrior is more or less Tyrande DEMANDING power from Elune, not really Elune granting it to her without that provocation.

Also, setting aside SYLVIE’S motives for the moment … the War of Thornes was really (at its core) a war between mortal races. I even question if the Wild Gods would so openly interfere in such an affair (no matter how much they favor the NEs), let alone Elune? They’ve NEVER participated in such a conflict in the past as far as I can tell (hell Cenarius didn’t even bother to get involved when his grandchildren were wiping out the Tauren), they only ever seemed to get involved when a force like the Legion or Firelands got involved.

5 Likes

So I guess the elves in Shadowglen and Dolanaar died in hideous agony?

I don’t know, feel free to enlighten me on that. Those civilians in Ashenvale did, but I don’t know about the details of what elune did during the burning

What a silly direction to go, Tyrande and the Night-warrior is reaffirmation to the Night elves that Elune still hears them.

Elune wasn’t going to stop Blizzards narrative for red Kalimdor for BfA.

5 Likes

So lets make a comparison for a moment. The Holy Light humans worship has been numerous times spoken of as if it has a will of its own, and has acted on its own when provoked–A prime example is when it lashed out at the DKs when they dared to try to rise Tirion.

Saying Elune is a terrible Goddess because she ‘did nothing’ is a bit like arguing the Holy Light is a terrible divinity that abandoned its followers because it did nothing to prevent Arthas from laying waste to Lordaeron or about the Orcs when they burnt Stormwind to the ground.

The most productive thing we can do in the case of the War of Thorns is try to consider what would be a logical reason for Elune’s perceived lack of action, even if it was likely due to her divine intervention being something that conflict with the intentions of the plot. One possibility is trying to keep Azeroth alive. Another is she is involved in a larger conflict beyond Azeroth, perhaps in the Shadowlands, and it is taking most her focus and energy.

I just really do not find it very useful to immediately conclude she is ‘useless’ when we do not have the proper full explination. Elune and her clergy are the bedrock foundation of Kaldorei civilization, and at this point is very near all they have left. Loosing that is going to mean the base identity of them as a people is lost. It be like the Shal’dorei forsaking arcane magic, or the Tauren giving up worship of the Earth Mother. I am personally really not a fan of that notion.

5 Likes