Elite NPC Damage is Way Off (Plausible Evidence)

Ya I tried a pserver a while back. I leveled a rogue and druid together at the same time. So my rogue had motw, thorns and heals. That was harder than solo rogue leveling on beta.

So solo leveling a rogue on beta with no buffs and no heals is actually easier lol. Either the pserver was way over-tuned or the beta is under-tuned.

1 Like

Think pservers are bit overtuned, can be real hard to level as rogue, on level 18 takes me 70-80% hp to kill one npc.

Could be both tbh. Maybe Pservers are overtuned, AND Beta is undertuned?

1 Like

Well I’ll leave it to testers and devs, they know best. Won’t try to give my insight on something I’m not 100% certain about.

Blizzard has a working version of WoW as it was during patch 1.12.1 so they can compare side by side what these mobs were hitting for back then and what they hit for on the Classic client. I would trust they know what the values were. Values for a lot of mobs changed throughout the course of vanilla as well so even trying to reference old posts or SS, unless you know for sure that it happened on this exact patch even those could be inaccurate.
Although it is entirely possible that they are currently under-tuned but they have 97 more days to fix things like that.

People’s memories are just bad. Dungeons were never hard with decent players. A group of us leveled up four Manning dungeons with a rogue tank (because he had threat and I couldn’t take it with my bear) and it was a joke.

At this point, I don’t see any real problem with mob damage being supposedly “too low”. Maybe that Blizzard did it on purpose in this first “pass” to ease the leveling process. Maybe their focus is on something else than mob damage for now.

I’m pretty confident that they are fully aware of what’s going on regarding this matter. It’s also something that can be easily tweaked later on. If they are not aware of it, they will be by looking at the logs and I assume that logs WILL be closely looked at.

Not too sure what the fuzz is all about this early in the beta.

What you are talking about happened with patch 2.3. For the first part of tbc, and especially for launch, a large portion of vanilla content remained untouched. A person leveling in early tbc and without a new race in the group would only see a difference in group performance via the talent changes of 2.0.

2 Likes

Decent player, and couldn’t hold threat as a bear. Cool story!

2 Likes

I seriously doubt that. It depends on the pserver for one thing, they aren’t all tuned the same, but the major one definitely increased difficulty to make it more challenging. Of course I’m not in beta to test for myself, but all the runs I’ve seen players take barely any damage in dungeons, this was not my experience as a healer on LH.

very high because level 58-60 plate armor has a ton more armor than level 18 mail and a shield have

What changed? Some zone wide reduction of dungeon instance damage? Some statistic now changing damage received formula? The Formula itself changing?

I doubt they went back and retouched the damage numbers for each and every individual npc.

As for overall group performance, I’ll add Healers were terrible in Vanilla. A lot of times the least aggressive person amoung your friends or groups was the healer. They often just wanted to heal the tank, they often over healed and oomed. So dungeons went bad.

I bet damage is low too though. I did play healer in early TBC on an alt. With 3 of 5 of the group members totally new to mmorpgs and WoW. So I had to decide who’d die usually when pulls went bad cause I had to keep myself and tank up. (It was usually Dave. Sorry Dave! if you’re reading this! You became a great holy pally later in TBC after you swapped off your hunter.)

It’s smoke. Blizzard is the ones who gets to investigate to see if it’s fire.

Whether or not there’s anything there to find, posting the best evidence and best guesses we can manage will help them narrow it down and confirm it into either a bug or not a bug. This is the point of beta.

If Blizzard carefully checks through their database and determines it is not a bug, then great. If they find it is a bug, and fix it, also great. There is zero drawback to reporting with the best information we can manage.

3 Likes

I watched a streamer go through BFD just the other night (https://youtu.be/s1aXf_JHRso?t=13605), and they were AOE pulling mobs without ever needing to CC. Basically, the elite mobs seemed to do the same damage as normal mobs, they merely had elite-level HP. Even towards the end when mobs were +2 levels above the group they didn’t take much damage. Cloth/leather dps could pull aggro and not really suffer for it, and the druid even tanked some in cat form.

I remember BFD being drastically harder both during TBC and on pservers, so I don’t buy the arguments that this represents authentic nerfed 1.12, or that pservers were simply too hard and it was always this easy.

9 Likes

You definitely needed CC in BFD. If groups are AOEing mob groups something is wrong.

11 Likes

They finally did wipe after we (the lurkers in chat) asked them to light all 4 torches at once. After running back, they were able to handle that in two even pulls, which still was absurd. One of those pulls was so large that IMO it should have wiped them even with all normal mobs (it was a mixture of normal crabs, and elite turtles I think?).

They wiped one other time when they did a particularly absurd chain pull.

Or, god forbid, the knowledge of actually playing the game now vs then makes it easy.

1 Like

Started playing Classic mid 2005; can confirm the first thing I noticed on all streams of the beta I’ve seen is damage (especially the elites in dungeons) is way under tuned.

3 Likes

The only way really to tell what mobs changed for patch 2.3 would be to parse through wowpedia pages for every boss. Unfortunately most of that doesn’t include overworld mobs and dungeon trash. All the patch notes state are this:

Many leveling improvements have been made for the old world.

• The amount of needed to gain a level has been decreased between levels 11 and 60. In addition, the amount of experience granted by has been increased between levels 30 and 60.
  • Level 1-60 dungeon quests have had their experience and faction rewards increased.
  • Many elite creatures and quests in the level 1-60 experience have been changed to accommodate solo play.

You could if you really wanted to check every mob/boss in classic and then compare that with an “undocumented server” stuck on patch 2.4.3.

As for what happened specifically with patch 2.0.1 and 2.0.3 (patches with most likelihood to contain vanilla changes): wow dot gamepedia dot com/ Category:Removed_between_patches_2.0.0_and_3.0.0

By no means a complete list but its something. Then again nothing but potentially what blizzard has stored away on an archive of code changes will say what values mobs had on the last day of vanilla and before patch 2.3 (if they did any WoD or BFA type of changes).

2 Likes

The numbers on the beta are correct. There’s been plenty of video evidence posted on reddit but people are ignoring it, probably because it isn’t what they want to see.

1 Like