Elemental shaman viability

No I wouldn’t be surprised, I know there are crappy dps that don’t meet that requirement. Yes I do/did raid. My point is that playing ele shaman in pve is just the equivalent of a handicap. There’s no real reason to do it other than that you want to pvp as a shaman and are hoping people carry you. Unless you find hitting the 1 key for lightning bolt more fun than hitting the 1 key for fireball or shadowbolt.

My first character believe it or not was a shaman, enhance not ele though. In a perfect world totem talents would be strong enough and placed in a way in the talent trees to make those specs worthwhile. But they aren’t. If they were, people would want dps shaman.

1 Like

in the private server I played, I was actually a shaman hahah. I had fun going elemental but mainly was a resto healer. We did have 1-2 ele shamans in the raid and they did top 4-7 dps charts and would rotate my mana tide with other shamans or innervates. really depends but in PVP, they would reach R14 with no problems.

TBH play what you enjoy as filling in slots is what matters for any guild. ANY DPS IS BETTER THAN NO DPS AT ALL. even off heals for MT or OT.

1 Like

That isn’t true. The amount it impacts the raid is minimal and it may actually help with itemization.

Like I said before there are reasons to bring one along. Shaman aren’t the best healers, having one not take up a healer slot, but still contribute their buffs, is another factor that is hard to quantify. They also get one free mess-up with reincarnate. I wouldn’t stack the raid with them of course, because their disadvantages will multiply… the same if you stack the raid with any class… you either run into itemization issues, or you start to have weaknesses, like not enough range dps or whatever.

lolelemental

This isn’t 2004 anymore. We know what classes/specs are wanted for raiding. If you want to raid, I recommend picking from that list. Druid/shaman/paladin dps specs are not widely excepted due to the handicap that comes with them. You might find a handful of guilds willing take one,but most won’t. Especially when proper raid specced players will be readily available. This idea that “bad DPS is better than no DPS” is meaningless, there will be no shortage of raiding specced players looking for a raiding guild.

Play what you want, but don’t be upset when raids pick raid specs over pvp specs.

You play your game and have others play theirs.

It’s funny how said “This isn’t 2004 anymore” though… because we in fact now have way more knowledge on how to make underdog specs more viable and dps in general is so much easier due to talents and itemization. So that statement doesn’t pack the punch you think it does xD

Doesn’t change the fact that they still do sub par damage, even when propped up by the raid by diverting things like manatide/innervate to them instead of someone that could make better use of those things.

Like I said, play it if you want. But I’m laughing at you if you come back here crying about how nobody will invite you to a raid. You know better.

I’ve never had an issue. I plan to raid lead anyway. I also know quite a few people who think like me also… including streamers.

I don’t think your way of doing things cultivates a good culture and community. I want people to enjoy the game, and I want to have fun doing it.

Exaggerating the disadvantages of bringing an ele-shaman or whatever, just makes you look petty in my opinion.

The only functional hybrid DPS is Shadow priest.

That’s one way to get a spot.

Not exaggerating, but best of luck to you.

You are though. There’s no real reason why you wouldn’t invite one. Doesn’t impact anything major if they are a decent player.

Even if they do sub-par damage, it’s not low enough to hurt a raid. Hybrid dps, when played properly will exceed dps checks.
If all you’re looking at is dps, then you’re probably going to be the one who causes a raid to fall apart because you’re too busy yelling at everyone for not downing a boss because everyone was busy trying to get their dps numbers high while not paying attention to the mechanics that were more important in vanilla.

First of all, I don’t just look at DPS, and yes, carrying one or two hybrids is not going to stop a raid from progressing. At the end of the day it comes down to why? Why would 39 people using raiding specs doing pve content invite a PvP spec player that even if well played will be the lowest contributing member of the raid? Raid DPS is not hard to find. Sure, if the choice is between a hybrid or a 39 man raid, take the hybrid…but that isn’t going to happen, you can throw a rock and hit a DPS player looking to join a raiding guild.

Go to realmplayer and look at the raiding comps guilds are using. Hybrids are far and few between. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but the people here saying that it is widely accepted and you will have no problem getting a raid spot are being very dishonest. Very few pserver guilds run hybrids. This isn’t my opinion, this is a fact based on current raids taking place.

1 Like

I’m not saying you will have no problem, I’m saying that denying someone the raid spot solely because they’re a hybrid is a poor excuse.
As for the why, you bring the hybrid for its utility. Everyone says, oh the healer brings it too but they forget that, for shamans, totems were party bound. You wouldn’t always have 8 resto shamans for every group, and if you did, you were cutting back on the druids and their innervates or the priests.
Pservers can run whatever they like but that’s not necessarily going to be what it’s like on classic. Vanilla raids included hybrids, even the top end raiding guilds. If it gets to that point in classic where raiding guilds don’t include hybrids, then so be it but I do not see that happening unless they are just ran by people who are obsessing more on DPS than making sure the mechanics are completed.

This simply is not true. Hybrids we’re even less excepted during retail vanilla than they are today.

Downplaying the downsides doesn’t make you look too good either.

1 Like

If you want to have a similar experience to playing melee dps in BFA, roll a hybrid dps in classic.

You’ll have to constantly fight for a raid spot and be the first to get benched if things go south.

1 Like

There’s only one…

Less potential dps… which may or may not come into fruition depending on the player(Most of the time it will). Some ele shaman can get top 5 dps in Nax… depends how hard they go in getting prepared. You can see videos of them.

It’s pretty simple xD

FYI Boomsky in case you missed it - but according to your and Skjaldbjorn’s rationale that RECK + /sit or Seal Twisting being abuse or an exploit - hate to break it to you but so was Totem Twisting according to Kevin Jordan:

TLDR - they were well aware of it and given the chance would have removed it.

They’re still really not comparable, man.

Totem and seal twisting is explicitly just using the game as it is given to us. Reck + /sit abuses latency to lie to the server. They’re really very different.

(Now, back before they removed the ability to get crit procs by sitting, that was just game mechanics. You sit, you get crit, you get a proc, that’s how it worked. But they changed the mechanic to take it away from players and after that, tricking the server into it was pretty clearly an exploit.)