Elemental shaman viability

I’m not saying you will have no problem, I’m saying that denying someone the raid spot solely because they’re a hybrid is a poor excuse.
As for the why, you bring the hybrid for its utility. Everyone says, oh the healer brings it too but they forget that, for shamans, totems were party bound. You wouldn’t always have 8 resto shamans for every group, and if you did, you were cutting back on the druids and their innervates or the priests.
Pservers can run whatever they like but that’s not necessarily going to be what it’s like on classic. Vanilla raids included hybrids, even the top end raiding guilds. If it gets to that point in classic where raiding guilds don’t include hybrids, then so be it but I do not see that happening unless they are just ran by people who are obsessing more on DPS than making sure the mechanics are completed.

This simply is not true. Hybrids we’re even less excepted during retail vanilla than they are today.

Downplaying the downsides doesn’t make you look too good either.

1 Like

If you want to have a similar experience to playing melee dps in BFA, roll a hybrid dps in classic.

You’ll have to constantly fight for a raid spot and be the first to get benched if things go south.

1 Like

There’s only one…

Less potential dps… which may or may not come into fruition depending on the player(Most of the time it will). Some ele shaman can get top 5 dps in Nax… depends how hard they go in getting prepared. You can see videos of them.

It’s pretty simple xD

FYI Boomsky in case you missed it - but according to your and Skjaldbjorn’s rationale that RECK + /sit or Seal Twisting being abuse or an exploit - hate to break it to you but so was Totem Twisting according to Kevin Jordan:

TLDR - they were well aware of it and given the chance would have removed it.

They’re still really not comparable, man.

Totem and seal twisting is explicitly just using the game as it is given to us. Reck + /sit abuses latency to lie to the server. They’re really very different.

(Now, back before they removed the ability to get crit procs by sitting, that was just game mechanics. You sit, you get crit, you get a proc, that’s how it worked. But they changed the mechanic to take it away from players and after that, tricking the server into it was pretty clearly an exploit.)

they were trolling me about Seal Twisting as well being an “exploit or abuse” while championing Totem Twisting as legit and intended lol

watch the video - it’s queued up right when Kevin Jordan is asked my question about Totem Twisting by Countdown to Classic:

I know, I’m just saying; totem twisting + seal twisting are one thing, and exploiting server latency with /sit to get unintended procs is something else entirely.

it all flows back to my original point - if /sit RECK, Seal/Totem Twisting were considered to be abuse or an exploit - they would have either been fixed during Vanilla itself or CMs or Devs would have made everyone WELL AWARE that it was not to be used

that’s all I’m saying

A) History does not agree with you. Blizzard regularly leaves unintended interactions in place for long periods of time.

B) They DID fix reckoning charges off sit, when they changed sitting crits to not proc crit-based abilities. Their fix just had an exploitable bug and they didn’t have time to fix it before Vanilla ended.

no they CHANGED the talent completely for TBC into a flat 10% chance to proc off of any damage to make your next 4 attacks proc twice

And that has…absolutely nothing to do with anything.

We can guess at their motives, but the fact is that they made a change during Vanilla that was explicitly intended to prevent you from getting Reckoning charges while sitting.

That change had a bug in it.

They didn’t fix that bug during Vanilla.

Their intent was pretty clear though.

which flows back to the 2nd part of my point - all they had to do was to write a sticky thread in the Paladin forums titled,

“DON’T USE /SIT RECK MMMK GUYS”

Please, please play elemental in PvP. I’m alliance and your free HK get me to grand Marshall that much faster.

Name one single time, in the entire history of Blizzard, that they have EVER made a public announcement “Here is a bug, here is how to reproduce it, don’t do it”.

They might have theoretically ever considered making a vague reference to it, but the idea that they would have ever made a directly on-point announcement about it is ridiculous.

That would have done nothing but encouraged players to do that though.
It also assumes it was a priority for them in some way.

you don’t remember the Seal of Truth bug?!?!?

I don’t remember it, no, but those also appear to be completely irrelevant as they are
a) from post-Vanilla
and
b) not what I asked for

cataclysm and yea it was a pretty big deal