Ele Shaman PvP Feedback

With the tuning of the mana cost of the ele talent Static Discharge as shown in patch notes, doesn’t look like a bug

On the PTR, mana regeneration is roughly double the level of a normal rotation.

Good News: You’re not going to lose mana while doing normal dps.
Bad News: There are two problems:

• There are still situations where you may use more mana while dps’ng than you can sustain, and the most common way of doing so is sustaining enough haste to do so. Mana regeneration doesn’t appear to scale with secondary stats.
  • Since you are spending mana to Dps, it’ll takes a shaman twice as long during combat to recover enough mana while maintaining performance than if they were to sit on their hands.
  • Combined, if you had a situation where you needed to hunker and recover followed by a situation where you needed to commit to a burst of DPS, we’re going to suffer from exhaustion.

I’m not saying it’s a situation akin to DnD Barbarian Frenzy causing levels of Exhaustion that would kill us, but it’s a concern, particularly if we’re A) the only damage dealer that has to deal with this and B) there’s no gear or aid that helps with recovering mana.

Imagine if Rogues “Crimson Vial” caused them to lose energy generation by 50% until they recovered all their energy OR Death Knights Rune regeneration was slowed by 50% following Death Strike while they continued to attack. Yeah, it’s useful, yup it’s recovery… heck if this mana struggle goes through, I’d say it’d even be balanced, cause that’s what it’s like to use mana for healing as a Shaman.

2 Likes

the mana changes are in and really help

Since legion blizzard with this “borrowed power” stuff have forgotten about the one of the core things of this game, the talent rows. Talents of a lot of class and specs have few/many dead talents that are never used, either in arena, bgs, dungeons or raids, because the talents are just trash.

On another point they could bring the old dispel protection from flame shock back, as well as shamanistic rage instead of astral shift. This would make me a really happy shaman.

1 Like

Elemental Blast or Echo … what’s the better one?

If anyone remembers the old version of Lava Flows…

" * Increases the critical strike damage bonus of your Lava Burst spell by an additional X% and the periodic damage of your Flame Shock by Y%. In addition, when your Flame Shock is dispelled you gain Z% spell haste for 6 sec."

It was something at least.

1 Like

I was actually kind of concerned about the reimplementation of DPS mana costs when I was doing PTR testing earlier. Did they explain their reasoning for adding mana costs back to our rotation?

No, I don’t think there’s any indications on why they’ve decided to make this change.

The mana situation with the recent changes is much improved. It’s still questionable because there is the matter of it becoming worse as gear and secondary stats improve, since mana regeneration does not scale with secondaries.

It’s falling back to an older philosophy of costs, and may help to expand designing certain encounters. They could design encounters to play around with resource generation specifically of casters. For example, if Maut did work like the old Obsidian Destroyers, it could be more punishing to all casters who had to stand in the draining pools. I don’t see this working terribly well simply because of the existence of Hunters, but the complication would be available, I guess.

Please make lightning shield not purgeable. Reason being is that with Flame shock so important and warranting a global every 6 seconds, having to reapply lightning shield as a result of being purged increasingly global locks an already global-locked spec.

nah you’re wrong. a 0-cost spell is a great purge buffer.

purge costs mana AND a GCD. trading a GCD for a GCD while our spell costs nothing is always in our favor.