Ele Sham or Mage

trying to pick a ranged alt character because I main a melee dps and want the option to switch playstyles when raid needs more ranged or melee on any given night. ive decided that mage and ele sham have the best visual looking abilities that would keep me from getting bored but having a hard time deciding which is the better choice. I wouldn’t even mind trying out a shadow priest

As a shadow priest main, I’d say go shadow. But since that wasn’t one of the original options I’m going to say ele shaman.

They’re fun, they’re fluid, and they have many interactions between certain talent combinations that are WAY more interesting than mage.

Mage is horribly boring this expansion, minus the visuals, but everyone knows the art department is always A+.

Mage will always have a viable spec. Portals are cool. Food. Burn it down, be chilly, or be purple. Assortment of dresses and sticks.

Shaman. Lightning, frost, fire, and earth in one else! Runs the risk of being garbage at next expansion. Can swap to enhance which I’m not sure is up with it. Can heal if you’re brave. Can have shield, wears dresses disguised as mail.

Druid it is!

1 Like

Fire Mage any day . Because while Ele is doing good now , historically Ele has suffered from severe nerf bats from Blizz while Mage is a favored class and are nearly always on top , patch after patch .

if you want all around to raid,m+ and pvp mage.ele is only good for pve.

fire mage bro.

Multiple ele comps were progressing far into the euro 3s arena tourney being streamed yesterday.

Ele is very good for pvp right now.

2 Likes

you know everything.

Not everything. I am just relating basic facts. There were multiple ele sham comps progressing very far into the euro 3s tourney yesterday, with a lot of talk if ele was going to be part of a new meta.

Right now, ele brings a lot to the table.

I just like keeping informed and relaying accurate information.

2 Likes

arenas are crap.

but they are a major form of pvp, and should be taken into consideration when discussing if ele shams are good at pvp or not

3 Likes

na wow esports are garbage and lots of people dont like 3v3.most just do bgs.

a lot of people dont do bgs, and just do 3s.

Just because you want to discredit a very large portion of pvp to make your “ele suck at pvp” statement, doesn’t mean its accurate or correctly conveys the situation.

3 Likes

as i said before and ill stick to what i said fire mage for pvp and pve.

Thats fine. Just maybe clarify you only mean unrated BGs? Since ele sham looks to be easily better than fire mage for arena.

2 Likes

Ele is great in pvp.

1 Like

Blizz PvP is balanced around 3-3… it is the major form of PvP in WoW.

I fear hearing talk of Ele is part of the new meta because Ele is frequently hit hard with the nerf bat hard compared to the permanent meta classes , Rogues , Mages

I’ve been watching the EU Spring 2019 #3 or whatever its called…Tourney.

Rdruid/Rogue/Ele Sham and Rdruid/DestroLock/EleSham were both doing really really well.

Elesham was the main target the entire match for both teams I saw play, but he had durability, ability to help burst down a target, and amazing team mates to help him survive as well.

I suck at pvp, but man. It was great watching some guys do some amazing things with an ele shaman in a tourny.

Ya I suck too and it’s amazing watching ppl do things with Ele I can never do .

1 Like

Once again it really depends on what you as a specific individual “calls fun”.
Easily accepted into most groups?
Easier to carry a bad group?
Do you pug a lot?
Do you do all content?
Do you do 2s and 3s with randoms?

If you answered yes to majority of these the mage will be a better choice.

Mages are generally accepted by the masses over ele.
Mages historically have it easier in pvp content

Ele has good things taken away either to be given to mages or because it threatens mage lore.

Ele takes longer per xpac to reach it’s full potential due to scaling while mages plateau earlier yet because of their design and access to not only great spammable burst, but also unmatched control make them easier to learn and use.

If you want a true challenge and difficult ceiling while torturing your soul to master while you get nerfed/gameplay changed just as you thought were getting the hang of things then come on over and sit a spell.

I would say “mage” right now for anything but PvP if you’re committed to being ranged DPS. Mage has 3 specs… shaman has 1. Right now, if you’re raiding, mages provide Arcane Intellect AND Lust/Heroism/TW. Honestly, that’s probably the one that really got my bacon - I understand they wanted to homogenize Bloodlust because they expected every raid boss encounter to take advantage of it, but you should have a reason to choose elemental shaman besides “he might be able to self-rez every couple of pulls”. Maybe an elemental totem that benefits everyone granting a secondary stat buff based on the element (water is Versatile, fire is Crit, air is Haste, earth is Mastery)… or just a 2% bonus to all 4 to avoid fights.