Easier DPS Spec?

Guild is going to carry my Prot alt this week so I’ll be DPSing.

Which is the easier of the two DPS specs?

Both are pretty straight foward, but I would say Fury is the easiest one without focusing on all the min/maxing, just keep enrage up and whirlwind for the buff to be able to aoe with your single target abilities.

1 Like

Pardon my ignorance, what makes arms much harder to play? It seems pretty straight forward looking at most of the guides.

I did say both specs are pretty straight forward. Its just that arm require a little bit more setup to pump damage compare of fury.

That pretty much it really

1 Like

Man, I don’t know why, but it took me forever to figure out that Fury’s AoE came from the secondary effect of Whirlwind. To me, Fury is more straightforward with the DPS than Arms is, primarily due to Fury not feeling as starved for rage as Arms does. However, I really think I’m more effective in all scenarios with Arms than with Fury. Just my anecdotal experience. YMMV

Fury is almost like a spammable spec, you spam everything on coldown. Almost every global you’re pressing something. Fast-paced.
Arms is the opposite, sometimes you have to wait for an auto-attack just to build up some rage to cast MS or Execute. Also you have to manage your rage so when you warbreaker you have a good amount to spend. Its more “punishable” if you press Slam a little too much or ignore pain on the wrong time.
Arms is not that difficult, is actually quite straight-forward but is definitely harder than fury IMO.

Certainly not this week’s M+ affixes. Have fun waiting on auto attacks on explosives. Fury you can waste a raging blow if you need and not even worry about it.

I’ll use my MS and my group will accept it!

You can pop farther out explosives with a Heroic Throw.

Fury’s priority is easier to deal with than Arms’s choosy rage spending for beginners.
EG: Mistakes on Fury are way less punishing if you hit something wrong. For an Arms example you can accidentally Slam instead of holding rage for Mortal Strike (or Execute), or using Colossus Smash at a bad time, and then your DPS declines much more rapidly.

For Fury, if you hit Raging Blow instead of Bloodthirst, etc., it’s really not a big deal. About the most egregious thing a new player can do is overcap rage. Beyond that, the priority doesn’t change other than trying maximize Enrage uptime by using Bloodthirst later in an Enrage cycle where you can’t refresh it with Rampage. Fury’s cooldowns are overall weaker, so it’s less of a damage loss to use that at an inopportune moment.

Exactly.

Management is typically more complex than building and spending resources.

Both are easy.

Arms is “slow” and more punishing if you press the wrong button. So that makes fury better for a casual.
Fury lines up with Prot secondary stats better as well (haste). So if you’re just jumping between prot and dps, go fury.

1 Like

As a new player, what does it mean to overcap rage and what happens if it goes over the cap?

Overcapping means your rage bar is full, but you are still generating rage. In effect, this ‘over’ rage is wasted.

1 Like

Gotcha. Those wasted “points” can be better spent elsewhere. I have a lot to learn about stats and what the numbers mean. but that’s part of the fun reading, learning and applying the knowledge. Thank you for the information.

By the way, this character is 36 but I burned my boost on a Ret. Pally and he is 55 so I have probably 3 that I am focusing on right now.

Standard Fury setup is running Anger Management with Signet of Tormented Kings. (Kyrian can run Elysian Might, but I think Signet is still optimal for single target.)

The rule of thumb is to spend the 80 rage on Rampage if your Enrage is down, or if you’re at 90+ rage. The rage cap is 100, and if you use abilities that would put you over the 100 cap you’re ‘wasting’ rage. Rampage reduces the cooldown of Recklessness, and Anger Management further reduces its cooldown based on rage spent (which will mostly be done by using Rampage to spend).

There’s very rare situations with Condemn/Execute/Sudden Death where it can be worth it to overcap and burst with Ashen Juggernaut to put in more big hits during Enrage, but it’s more of a high skill judgment call.

As a Fury main, Fury is easier. Hands down.

Fury is easier and your stats as prot translate directly to fury, which is nice.