Earth Shock -- HOW DOES IT WORK?!

How does earth shock work? What’s the science behind it.

I’ve had it crit super hard, and other times not so much. I see the pop up on my screen for earth shock “proc” (it’s not a proc, but you know). I’ve also seen it disappear quickly before i can cast it after casting a spell.

Can yall tell me the best way to utilize it, and how it works?

@stickiricki

please tell us the magic behind earthshocks.

A couple things can stack to make Earth Shock hit hard.

First thing is Elemental Shaman naturally get better critical damage for spells, so the disparity between a crit and a non-crit, is going to be bigger than most classes.

Secondly, there’s a talent called “Master of the Elements,” which increases damage of your next Nature or Frost spell after casting a Lava Burst. This is obviously best used on an Earth Shock, which can also affect the disparity between your max hit and the unbuffed hit. Optimal play and circumstance will involve always casting a Lava Burst before your Earth Shock, but some times the cooldown/resource generation doesn’t work out, so you’d prefer to cast Earth Shock to avoid wasting Maelstrom.

These are just the ones implicit to the spec; any trinkets or stat buff procs will further increase your damage, making it seem like some of your Earth Shocks hit way harder than they should.

As far as I know, the indicator on the default hud for Earth Shock doesn’t necessarily tell you when to cast it, just that you can cast it.

1 Like

Thank you!!

If you throw a Lightning Bolt after your Earth Shock button lights up, it does sometimes fade out of lit up status. I think it’s a bug, but you can still throw the Earth Shock or Earthquake.