Early impressions/tips of Awakening affix

I finished a completion run today for my UR 13 key on my 445 bear druid. This is what I think so far when comparing the gameplay to what is written in the guides for this affix:

defiled spire, blood of the corrupter, blob guy:

• keep him moving, preferably in a large NOT narrow area
  • however keep him away from your targeted destination until he is low on health, because he fills up the area with puddles real fast
  • tentacles he spawns DO appear to trigger bolstering, this a bug or intended ?

brutal spire, urgroth, tank buster guy:

• Was dreading doing this but it turned out to be the easiest
  • Essentially treat him like the barrel through charge guy on third boss of KR
  • his spirit breaker hit me down to 30-40% health with 1-2 stacks of ironfur, was expecting much more pain
  • start moving quick as soon as you see his spirit breaker cast going, to give yourself maximum kiting space to drop the debuff
  • don’t tank him with the debuff on you, obviously

cursed spire, voidweaver, spider caster guy:

• not too tough
  • keep him moving but stay reasonably close to interrupt some/all of his casts
  • if you bring minimal interrupts you will not have fun time with this guy, similar to second boss shrine
  • explosive scarab adds have a delay in their explosion so even if you are near melee range constantly you can still avoid most/all of their explosions

entropic spire, samrek, fear guy:

• oh sweet jesus this guy was the painful surprise
  • fear is not a big deal just keep some distance apart
  • those ‘ravenous fleshfiend’ adds though combined with skittish in particular are a nightmare to tank
  • at this level a few seconds of those adds on me was certain death from the stacking bleed
  • however I couldn’t just zoom out because they ate the DPS real fast
  • bring as much CC and slows as you can for this guy, something like boomkin and/or frost mage are huge for these adds
  • if you kill some of his adds and then wipe those adds stay dead, so we eventually killed all of the adds and then I brought the boss to the final trash before last boss

Overall outside of the fear guy the real challenge was the insane amount of (mostly) unavoidable damage from second to fourth bosses on a key equivalent to +18 last week.

As usual it is strongly recommend to use the method dungeon tools addon because there are two obelisk placement patterns for each dungeon, and you want a clear idea of where you want to kill each obelisk boss for their exit portal.

1 Like

Just by reading this alone my first inclination is to not kill samrek with the trash and do it with the final boss so he doesn’t spawn adds.

Eh on second though maybe not on some tyrannical weeks though haha…

After a few full wipes we were considering the same. Then someone said that the adds that died stayed dead. He spawns 5-7 (did not count exactly) .

Even on a +10 this week, equivalent to a +15 last week I would not recommend taking any of these bosses to the final boss of the dungeon at current gear levels, and definitely not samrek. A badly timed fear will easily wipe you on some boss mechanics, even on fortified.

The guides don’t make it clear but do these ravenous fleshfiend adds on samrek have an aggro table or is it just a proximity fixate system ?

1 Like

I was asked to help some friends with a +12 yesterday morning, I’m glad I passed on it. My friend was getting close to one shot on his 448 prot pally by those mini bosses. They ended up dropping the key to a 10 and only timed it by 3 seconds. I tanked a +5 WM yesterday on my 442 bear and was getting hit pretty hard. Had an undergeared group but still timed…but it was a 5 >.< Definitely need some gear to get used the scaling lol. I was hoping to do as high as I could this week, but I’m almost glad that I stopped at 13 last week so my key is still doable without dropping it.

I also happened to run a 12 Underrot with a bear druid yesterday. There was one undergeared rogue in the group w/o neck level 75(his key), the rest of the group was 2k or so with level 75. We missed the timer by about 2 minutes, but that was mostly due to some unfamiliar trash clears to reach the obelisks. Aside from that, I thought it could have easily been timed. We had no wipes on the mini bosses, and the obelisk/portal skips are very handy-we were able to permanently skip the entire bridge pack. We also lost some time after a normal trash wipe when people tried to exit from a portal from a different miniboss than the obelisk they entered(doesn’t work). All in all, I like the new affix a lot more than void emissaries, or tides emissaries placed with mixed health packs on bolstering week.

Rdruid friend of mine had a +15 AD and the flesh adds totally rekt all of our melee ended up having our Rdruid mass root the little adds while we kited the big add away. Can’t enter the portal until leaving combat so we had to kill the little adds carefully after the big add died.

Yes I had a havoc DH in that group and he got eaten pretty fast when he got in range of the flesh adds. However we had a decent mage + resto druid who whittled them down carefully while I tried to pop in for a thrash on them without getting eaten myself.

I thought that the other phase was shared between bosses and you could use any enter + exit portal combo you wanted ?

Did a 10 UR yesterday and died more to the base mechanics (some pulls weren’t familiar, others were just dumb decisions by dps that pulled multiple worms at once) than the affix. I pulled the spider to the 4th obelisk planning to pull the worm, withering curse caster and the largely ignorable faceless mob there.

That didn’t go as planned and earned some lip from the 2200 healer. (pulls that look easy on paper, and probably are) still not sold on not doing that strat because it’s only kill worm (regardless of bolster) and keep interrupts on the witch. I did get to feel the pain it is to have a sub optimal portal placement and how hard it is to recover after, though.

We did a 12fh last night and let the spider just spawn with harlan. It had 5m health and died to cleave. The dps just kept it interrupted. The only real trouble was an obelisk on the rat pathing near where the dog sits some weeks. Hard to stay out of combat there to get inside. Also some of the mini bosses don’t run very fast so it’s a pain to kite them to the other side of the map, which is what we did with an obelisk near the ring of booty to harlan.

1 Like

You can indeed use any entrance or exit portal you’ve created to enter or leave the void zone. We tried this in a 16 UR and it worked well.

Hmm that’s interesting, the bear in our group ran all the way down to one portal then all the way back to an earlier one because he said he couldn’t click it. I assumed it was just wasn’t supposed to work that way, but maybe it was just a bug.

Initially I was excited about being able to skip the bridge in kings rest but after skipping the 3 constructs ,with the spires located conveniently located next to them, we saw that we’d still need to clear the bridge for %. We pulled the caster mob with the exploding army onto the last boss and it was fine. burned it down before raptor then business as usual. I like the concept of the affix but at the current % for the mini bosses it doesn’t work out.

Yes currently the percentages make no sense. For example in KR an obelisk boss is 1.5% while a purification construct is 4%. Samrek in particular will murder most groups while the construct is a joke on any affix combo. I assume the small percent reward for obelisk bosses is because of the trash skip potential but if the boss is worth so little you’ll be fighting lots of trash anyways.

I think the obelisk skips work best on dungeons with lots of alternative routes(ML, UR, FH), bu are a lot less useful on ones where you have to clear most of the trash in a straight line to the boss(KR, TD).

1 Like

Yes I did a KR 12 last night and because of the percentages and obelisk placement we could not skip more than the 5 + 2 troll packs near the third boss.

This, we did 15FH last night and discovered this towards the end. I’ve had a ton of IRL stuff going on lately and haven’t done any homework on the new affix so this came as a surprise.

From the looks of it on MDT we thought we didn’t have to pull trash by the last oblesk by Harlan but turns out you do. We drug the tank buster from Shark boss all the way there, killed it, and wanted to go back in immediately to the next one. We killed the boss and got out OK but couldn’t get into the next one without aggroing.

I pulled the trash away, and the grp went into it. I then entered through the shark boss oblesk and met up with them. Costed us a few seconds but definitely got the gears turning on strategy.

How did your group avoid aggroing the mini boss? Or did they just kite it to you?

Do you mean my older comment about samrek in UR ? No I was tanking him the whole time, but I kept myself out of melee range of the fiend adds. I tried to pop in a bit closer to throw out a few thrash casts on my bear since they have an 8 yard range.

After tanking that mini boss in AD 13 and KR 12 on warrior and pally the class makes minimal difference because the fiend damage is a bleed, and that will chew apart any tank even with defensives up. The last run was the KR run and I brought a boomkin and frost mage. Together with typhoon/root and frost slow effects we managed to kill samrek this time with no deaths to the adds.

Overall his adds are by far the hardest so I guess you could ignore his obelisk and take him to the final boss. However a badly timed fear there to you and/or the healer could easily wipe you in some boss situations.

I did not look at PTR streams running this affix but I really have no idea how 3 melee DPS M+ comps can handle samrek adds.

edit: Oh I’m dumb you were referring to hate’s comment.

Anyways the trick seems to be that if an obelisk is in aggro range of a tough trash pack you have the tank pull the pack away while someone else clicks the obelisk. Ideally the person that clicks can drop combat like rogue with vanish (rogues win again lol). Once an obelisk is activated for the first time anyone can use a different available portal and reach that new miniboss through the other phase. An obelisk must be clicked at least once before that miniboss is accessible to the other phase shared by other miniboss kills (or obelisk activations). I had a rogue do this for me on blob and tank buster obelisks in AD which are near the nasty double zombie and dino packs respectively this week.

You know, that’s a great question. I’m not sure… I definitely threw my shield at it to pull it when I got there.