Dwarf priests will be the meta. Ret pally ted talk

I do like my paladin more than my druid.

1 Like

People will take a ne priest over a ret pally everytime.

1 Like

I actually think you’re wrong here. 95% of PvE raiders care about their own personal parse, not pushing a couple minutes off their clear times. I think most melee groups in your average raid guild would rather have a Feral in their own group rather than a third warrior. My classic guild never ran a Spriest in our group, sans for a brief period towards the end of BWL. The locks in our guild would constantly complain for one but never broke through to the meta-slaved raid lead.

If people are trying to fill spots, they generally take any warm body they can get, so they can fill out a 40 man roster.

I agree in that I don’t think the META changes, but most groups don’t run 100% optimally.

4 Likes

Whatever you need to convince yourself, man.

exactly, these people advocating for meme specs so much ironically forget about all the SUPPORT ROLES these classes have to help others in the group. like, hello? of course you’re gonna be wanted.

Once again the dude who didn’t play classic chiming in with incorrect information. Yes those specs had some support role, no, they were not bought to raid. Their dps was so low that it was not worth bringing the majority of them regardless of how much support they bought along. The only meme spec that I think will be bought along to SoM will be 1 spriest, purely due to longer fights meaning warlocks will become a bit more desired. Noone will bring a boomkin, enhance, ele or ret because they don’t bring enough of a boost to raid dps to bring up the raids dps to what it would be if they just simply were replaced with a conventional dps class.

I’m fine if they keep meme specs as is, but unfortunately it’s untrue that they bring much to PvE. There’s no advantage to bringing a non-healing pally, shaman, or boomkin. Bears have just barely carved themselves out a very iffy niche through the use and abuse of MCP’s.

My guess is that a lot of the discontent is because not only are the meme specs left behind, it’s that the dominant specs are so dominant in many dimensions.

Warriors are DPS gods, the premier tank, and group PvP powerhouses. Each one of their their talent trees places them at the apex of each one of their roles. They don’t just have three viable specs, they have three dominant specs. Talk about a hybrid.

Mages are the top ranged DPS, farming and money making gods, and PvP gods in their own right.

Rogues are good DPS but at least they have some weaknesses.

Huntards and locks are kind of the good guy DPS. You don’t hear many people asking for hunter or lock nerfs because they’re not breaking the game like warriors and mages do in their own respective ways.

And then you have every other spec just kind of rolling around in the dirt hoping that someone might be dumb enough or kind enough to bring them to a raid.

It’s not just that meme specs are memes, it’s that warriors and mages are on another plane, and not everyone wants to heal their warrior and mage overlords at all times.

Here’s a thought experiment: if they turned the warrior arms tree into a healing tree (stay with me here), would warriors be pigeonholed into healing? Even without impale, warriors would still be dominant tanks and DPS. Meme specs aren’t forced into healing because they have a healing spec, they’re forced into healing because their other specs suck lol

1 Like

Hi, I cleared all content in vanilla and also on 3 different characters in classic. I’ve been in 4 guilds over that period of time. Every single one of them had meme specs raiding with us in pretty much all raid groups. The vast majority of players don’t care about the meta or being absolute min/max, it’s not needed in order to clear content and have fun.

SOM is aiming to be more challenging and could push guilds to be more strict on classes, but there will still be plenty of guilds who just wanna kill dragons and hang out with friends while getting loot. And if those guilds aren’t able to keep up on the content, some of their members will be free to leave while the rest of us will go at our own pace and be content with just playing the game how we want.

2 Likes

I agree. I also saw lots of meme specs as I raided vanilla, and I highly doubt SoM will be so hard that raids can’t afford to give away a few spots to memes.

2 Likes

Cast majority of classic guilds followed the meta almost to a tee. 1-2 meme specs max and the amount of drama that ensued if any of these players got any loot was insane. The first guild I raided with, not that it was a good guild by any means, gave a boomkin a staff of dominance maybe a month and a half into classic and 4 mages and a warlock left the guild after that MC because of this.

Stuff like that is common because these specs struggle to bring anything to the table outside of a filler spot. People don’t want to keep playing fury warrior, combat rogue or frost/fire mage if they want a dps spot. It’s been the same way since the meta was fleshed out probably 10 years ago.

And again, arielba you don’t know anything about the meta because you didn’t play classic, so inputting what happened 15 years ago does not contribute whatsoever because this is a much different game.

dwarf hate is a thing? legit never encountered someone who doesn’t want to hug all dwarves. theyre the best.

1 Like

Sadly it will not be a thing because the proc rate of nightfall was and will continue to be terrible. You wouldn’t make up in DPS from casters to cover the DPS loss of having another player or other players wield Nightfall.

I want to reiterate that the original devs gave dwarf priests the best racial skill because they knew being a dwarf priest was gonna be unpopular otherwise. it’s just not a cool race/class combination.

Also you will be able to judge wisdom.

Did they not change proc rates towards the end of Naxx? I remember something about that

I played Ret pali all of classic. Downed all of the content. It was perfectly fine. Obviously you can’t out do most dps. But the times you do sure is awesome. Surprisingly with no debuff slot problems ret could use seal of crusader and do more dps now. Previously ret only used wisdom for casters/healers to regen mana. In theory you could now judge light, wisdom and crusader by 3 pallies to buff the raid. And if pali tanks get a taunt you can bet atleast 1 ret will be in raid to buff the pali tank threat via sanctity aura.

1 Like

I agree, it will be interesting.