Dungeon finder and cross realm tech are bad for classic wow

Please do not put the patch 3.3 random dungeon finder or patch 4.2 cross realm zones into any version of wow classic even wrath classic. The rdf removes many aspects of the rpg in a mmorpg, especially on pvp servers. Cross realm zones as well would be detrimental on classic servers for similar reasons.

A better move, imo, is to implement the patch 5.4 connected realms feature for classic servers if population issues arise. Connecting several smaller realms of the same type effectively results in higher population servers, while virtually eliminating the negatives of traditional server mergers.

Connected realms tech results in more players around to form dungeon groups, guilds, and raid teams. Win win for the classic game.

6 Likes

I believe they explicitly said they’d consider this for population balance issues and didn’t mention anything else.

I also definitely agree on not ever having dungeon finder. It was introduced late in WotLK and will clearly duminish the value of the community. However, if I had to bet I’d say they’ll most likely hold off on it and end up releasing it late in WotLK Classic similar to how it originally was.

I don’t care about cross realm either way (other than as an option to queue in realm only) but I think the dungeon finder is probably one of the greatest advances in wow’s history and I would not be playing without it.

I don’t have a lot of free time my play time is precious and it’s also sporadic. I have neither the time nor inclination to sit in Oggrimar for an hour spamming LFG, then another 20 minutes getting everyone there. Someone then has to drop then you have to go back and start again. I tried that once early on and was like “never again”

2 Likes

I wouldn’t want a random cross zone implementation. Would rather see dying / dead realms be completely merged with just Name-Realm to avoid name problems.

3 Likes

Please don’t add CRZ or any of that “Connected Servers” to classic. Either leave us on empty realms or let people transfer and merge them later. But no connected realms, that stuff kills community really fast.

1 Like

Nah, it’ll be fine. I mean look at retail. It’s going great. Right?..right?

Hmmmm I dont remember. I could have sworn that one of them mentioned cross realm.

I like connected realms because it causes only a momentary community hiccup in the group of servers that get connected. And after a few weeks its basically 1 server after everyone starts getting to know each other etc.

Lots of people have unusual schedules. I can appreciate that time is limited for many players. Sometimes I simply cannot play myself.

However this is a role playing game. Its a world we all go to to explore, and go on adventures together. Over the years many adventures have simply been just going to a dungeon for the first time. Or setting out to ride to a new town in an unfamiliar zone and getting side tracked with organic world pvp.

I understand that some simply don’t have the time luxury to fully immerse into this world we all enjoy, but why should a feature like the rdf be forced onto others?

Using the rdf is forced once implemented given that people are always looking for “efficiency” as a rule and will default to the easy meta 95% of the time resulting in no choice but to use the rdf.

Generally I don’t like to use this argument but how does the existence of something force you to use it? Are you compelled to use every feature the game has?

EDIT: I should also note that this isn’t a role playing game. Not really, it’s more of an adventure game with role playing elements.

1 Like

No connected realms either, that’s cancer too. It’s non rpg and people hate it.

Best solution is to open transfers and let people play on whatever pop servers they want.

I hate connected realms just as much as cross realm, same trash under different label.

Depends on what we are talking about. If I want to get to the under city fast I have several options at my disposal. I don’t have to use all of them. If I want to run a dungeon on the other hand I need to get with friends or recruit randos. If the random dungeon finder is available most people just use that. If most players are using the rdf the choice boils down to A: don’t use the rdf and maybe find a group, or B: conform to the rdf system and run a dungeon(without having left town!)

The implementation of the patch 3.3 random dungeon finder fundamentally changed how we ran dungeons in retail wow. And imo, and in many others opinions, the patch 3.3 rdf was/is a terrible system for the reasons I sited in my op and above.

The patch 3.3 random dungeon finder forever changed The WORLD of warcraft into a new game. " The random dungeons of warcraft"

Which is the point. Most people would use it because it’s better than any alternative in game. If it didn’t exist in game, someone would make it out of game and people would use that. It wouldn’t have such enormous support if it wasn’t better than anything else out there.

Okay… you have chosen to downplay the gross negatives that resulted from the 3.3 random dungeon finder then.

No, I just don’t find the “gross negative” claims convincing. A lot of people blame the LFD system for everything and use all kinds of specious logic.

It’s true that there lots of terrible people and if you do a lot more content with more people because of LFD you have a higher chance of running into one, but I’ve run a lot of LFD dungeons recently (and in the past) and the lion’s share have been pleasant experiences.

In retail the most toxic place right now is mythic+ and that doesn’t have an LFD system. You have to actually form a group and go to the dungeon and I still refuse to be part of it.

to be fair, I have never used LFR so I can’t speak to that, only LFD.
I will never be a “sit in capitol spamming LFG/LFM” player. I’ll use in game tools if their useful and out of game tools if they’re not.

Completely false. Cross realm RDF would make BC Classic so much better in general. It was a great feature added back in the day and hopefully if we push for it hard enough, blizz will add it in BC.

Fair enough. Have to agree to disagree then.