Druid Popularity

Lately I’ve seen several comments made commenting on the lack of druid popularity.

Is this due to the race restrictions? Or do most people prefer warrior to bear or rogue to feral for instance?

Simply curious, as I find them pretty fun, but am beginning to consider another class to play to mix things up.

1 Like

I’m a Bis feral tank. I think the reason why druids are not popular is thier playstyle is not straight forward and you need to play pixel perfect to do well in DPS. I am firm believer that feral tanks are the best dungeon tanks in the game, however it takes alot of prep to outshine others in raids. The nice part of being feral is you can heal any dungeon in the game so that flexibility is quite amazing. I kinda feel bad for restro mains as they are the most mana intensive and offer the least amount heals. Both DPS specs are memes, however kitty DPS in 2020 is actaully becoming legit good and even more so when AQ drops.

5 Likes

But their wide range of being able to do everything I think would be popular among casual players such as myself. Understandably, I’m not pushing raids (obviously I’m lvl 36 lol) but still I’ve had fun grouping and being like “Hey guys ill tank this high level guy for us.” Its fun! I’m just surprised I don’t see more.

I’ve seen a lot of druids leveling and BGs, maybe it’s an end game issue and people just play them as an alt break from the seemingly endless warrior/mage/priests out there.

Locks seem to be in low supply too. I have one at 43, but it’s just not fun DoTing. Although, selling summons is quite profitable.

LoL? Resto is a fantastic healing spec and can push very competitive HPS.

5 Likes

Druids are a high skill class, low reward. For dps, you have to try substantially harder than any other class in the game to even be mediocre. Boomkin has extreme mana issues with no damage to compensate. Resto is okay, but you’ll be lowest on the healing meters. Bear tanking is actually pretty decent. You have a lot of mitigation, but suffer from no defensive cooldowns.

You do bring a ton of utility to a raid. Innervate and battle res can save a fight. Even in resto gear you can go bear and taunt a mob off another healer or a dps until the tank gets threat back. You can swap to tank gear and offtank at fights like majordomo.

You aren’t going to be the best at anything though. Druids are fun, but you’ll definitely have moments where you’ll consider rerolling another class.

Probably because if you want to parse well you have to farm gnomer over and over again for a certain weapon with limited charges.

4 Likes

So despite all that, what keeps you playing it? Being a level 60 druid and all. Do you just play it for fun?

Other classes are easier. That is my truth. Ppl spit bs bs. Any hybrid

To truly reach their potential you play all rolls. Kind like a ret doing 200+ dps, 400hps+, taking damage when needed, and still doing 100 dispel all in one fight. Say it bs yet it has been Happening…feels bad when ur not good and a ret does all that u did 600+ Dps. Pat urself on the back becuz u did 1(frost bolt). Just sayin.

Its all relative. I’m parsing mid 90s as cat when I’m not tanking and I typically always still get bested by the warriors and rogues paying attention to their keyboard.

Don’t get me wrong I love being a Druid, but its better to be bluntly realistic about what the future holds for most feral aspirants.

Bears are absolutely not the best dungeon tanks though, we don’t hold a candle to Paladins or Tfury Wars in the current meta where massive aoe chain pulling is a thing. Druid AOE tanking is a disaster compared.

i think the negative stigma helps with that.

in reality if you enjoy the class and take the time to gear/learn you will do fine. druids are still wanted they may not be the absolute best but they are still play important roles just like every other class does in every single content.

i see a lot of druids around tbh. cool class but not for everyone. i think this is the hardest class i have leveled from 1-10 tbh. around 6-7 im already struggling because they oom so fast

There is a low druid popularity simply because the only thing Druids excel at is WSG flag carrying.

Resto can’t even use hots in most raids, Balance ooms so quickly its comical.

Bear Druid is alright, just like a street fighter clone of Warrior with some subtle differences and IMO weaker threat.

Feral Druid is where I think the class shines. Powershifting is prob the most unique playstyle in all of retro era WoW, and you can do some really solid damage with it.

Both Feral specs also soak a lot of loot most people don’t want which is great for the raid.

1 Like

I agree feral feels the most hybrid of the 3 specs. You can tank/dps and pick up any druid tier gear for healing.

Power shifting is quite enjoyable imo I only wish pummel had infinite stacks

1 Like

Balance am I right guys

1 Like

Well healing is usually the most boring of the triad, and druid heals is even more boring. If you have to farm gnomer to be on par with other tanks and dps, then why even try. Boomkin is boring too, overall i find druid very boring.

I stopped playing my druid unless it’s wsg weekend and I feel like flag running. It doesn’t help that the two races available now are arguably the worst. Troll and worgen are so much cooler.

1 Like

This is only because of spamming different ranks of healing touch. Spells like regrowth are very expensive. HoTs are discouraged in general because of buff limits and overwriting other peoples spell. In BC regrowth cost goes down dramatically.

I agree though, druids do just fine.

The TRUE reason is the Classic armor sets look really cool and as anything other than Resto you never get to see your armor. Lots and lots of bear butt if you’re tanking. :frowning_face:

However in Burning Crusade druids go from being mediocre in all roles to being very solid in all roles, especially in PvP where Resto is one of the top healers. Like, between being given a lot of buffs, an amazing CC, and flight form the class is shown a TON of love in BC. So, if you want a future proof class assuming they allow transfers of our 60s then it’s not a bad idea to level one now.

6 Likes

I think the are damn good even now, just that most players are incapable of playing the class because it was not designed for bad players.

There is a massive difference between a good druid player and a crappy one, the difference is so massive in Classic that you would wonder if you are even facing the same class.

Druids in Classic are one of the most skill required classes, and they are almost the inverse of that in TBC requiring so little skill to be successful that its actually pitiful.

2 Likes

Druid has always been underplayed. This is part of the reason. The big draw in Classic is their FC capability, you should see more played in Arena.

It’s more that the game isn’t very well designed for the druid class.

The problem is that skill isn’t really rewarded. Great an awesome druid can do as well as a bad/average whatever other class in most areas of the game. TBC starts to address this and Wrath fixes it pretty solidly.

1 Like