Dratnos' Big Shadowlands Fear

Yeah but the best part is that the players and guilds that this will punish will go far beyond just Method and the other world 1st racers.

Just about anyone that Mythic raids, or anyone that semi-competitively and above enjoys raids, M+, and/or arena gets punished.

2 Likes

Question, where is the data that shows this will only effect the 1 percent. That keeps coming up. I dont feel like looking at the covenants again but stick with me here. Theres an aoe and single target covenant for a class. I pick the single because I like the mog and theme. I raid so good for me. I also do mythics. 15s are my goal for reference. What tells us I’m not losing out on a ton of dps in mythics for not choosing the aoe covenant? To me, I’m afraid it’s like choosing between condensed life force and blood of the enemy.

4 Likes

But they are being punished - for those in favor of the restrictive system, that’s the benefit and value we get from it.

1 Like

Just to get you up to speed on this situation - Shadowlands has no new classes and no new races. It has no new evergreen core features like Mythic+. The major selling points of Shadowlands are Torghast, a glorified World Quest system, and Covenants. Without Covenants, Shadowlands becomes Warlords of Draenor.

To being a filthy casual!:beers:

8 Likes

There isn’t any. The impacts of this system go FAR BEYOND just the top 1%. People just use the “1%” argument to try and minimize the punishment being dished out in hopes that Blizzard doesn’t pay attention to those voicing a distaste for the restrictions.

12 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

I know a lot of people are saying they don’t care and it’s great that they don’t however this concern has a trickle down effect from higher end raiding guilds.
This having to min-max covenants will trickle down to heroic guilds and baby M+ players because ‘The best WoW players are doing it’. So a lot of us have no choice but to care if we want to do any of the content.

4 Likes

I didn’t say get rid of covenants. I love the whole idea of them… except for the associated abilities. Why should we pick our covenant based on what sims the best rather than what we are interested in? I’m just saying don’t give unique abilities.

1 Like

Are we talking about the same Method that broke 6 server economies and buys out competition to slap their logo on it? The same method who bought out the weakaura guy the day before world first race and put him under a NDA to make sure they never lose another world first again?

10 Likes

It may or may not matter all that much for your average mythic raider. If it’s down to ability tuning and they make, say a 5% difference in damage or healing throughput on a particular fight, that’s something that typical mythic raiding guilds can stomach. They don’t need to maximize their damage the same way world first guilds do.

If it’s down to the fundamental ways that abilities function like Door of Shadows, or if Blizzard nerfs some Covenants into unusable territory for particular classes, then yeah, they might suffer a lot more.

I thought we all hated the covenant choices?

Is it okay now that Method isn’t looking forward to it?

5 Likes

This is exactly right. Guild groups that are struggling on a mythic boss will force everyone to change their covenant (can you even change?). And forget about trying to get into a pug if you don’t have the best covenant ability.

2 Likes

Just like heroic guilds require their players to keep 3-5 alts geared for extreme raid stacking, and spend millions of gold on progression? Please.

2 Likes

Technically it’ll affect everybody who wants to switch covenants at some point. There’s just a focus on the top 1% because they’re the ones who will go to any length’s to min/max(though I agree with the sentiment that it wont just be Method doing this).

There’s also two parts to this problem:

1. The restriction on being able to respec your character
  2. The fact that covenant abilities are pretty badly balanced for something that can’t be switched on a whim.

Having “the AoE choice” and “the single target choice” is fine if you can respec every 5 minutes but it’s badly designed if it’s not an easy choice to change.

If they’re determined to keep covenants, every covenant needs to offer something for every facet of gameplay.

5 Likes

Those guys will have four covenants for each class anyways. They play at a level unrelated to any non professional

1 - It does matter to most mythic raiders. Mythic raids are tuned to the point where 5% makes a huge difference. Even month’s after world first guilds have cleared the raid - 5% matters to many many players and guilds.

2 - it goes beyond just mythic raiders. Players that play across roles and content types also get smacked.

This is a legitimate concern and I think Blizzard should take all of the covenant abilities and slap them on to every covenant with their own flair for each of them.

Don’t be low quality, you know exactly what I’m talking about.
They won’t force you to have 3-5 alts but they WILL force you to pick the right covenant.

3 Likes

Or, we could just, now hear me out here guys…

We could just design the game to be as enjoyable as possible for as many people as possible, and stop fixating on Dratnos and the method blob and worrying about what they think about this game for once.

Stop worrying about the top 0.0001% of players.

If they have to keep 16 different alts all caught up with weekly chores in order to maintain their elite status as the best of the best of the best, then let them.

If Naowh wants to wait for his bloodlust to come off cooldown for every single pull when he’s in Torghast, LET HIM. Stop worrying about him, he’s not the person Torghast should be designed around. If he finds an exploit, fix it, but don’t design one of the biggest features of an expansion around such an infinitesimally small number of players.

Start looking at the big picture, look at how accessible Legion was, look at how well received that was. You want more players doing more content, especially social activities that allow or require you to be in a group.

STOP DESIGNING WORLD OF WARCRAFT FOR METHOD.

18 Likes

Well…Game shouldn’t be designed around how method wants it.

4 Likes