Drakonid Megathread! Let's do this!

This is what they should’ve released to sell the expansion. They look so hype

Oh man, Gnoll enhancement shaman! Is it too late to change my answer?

I would kill men to have this.

Gnoll Enhancement and an Amani Fury Warrior, I would never log off of WoW.

Not “currently planned” is double talk for “we’re not giving you a straight answer.” It’s not a “no” by any stretch.

Females look the same in WoW.

The one I linked. Right there in the OP.

Which will never happen.

They don’t typically add new races/classes mid-expansion - we would probably see them as part of a Season 4 / pre-patch type situation.

This was the problem I had with female Kultiran. They need more muscle on their arms.

1 Like

A race that looks like a bulked up roided killing machine which we wanted with dracthyr i would be happy.

Drakonids are simply the answer to every unmet expectation for a draconic race.

I support OP’s request for Drakonid

They look cool

This is the way! I have spoken!

1 Like

I am here to voice my support for Drakonids :dracthyr_love_animated: Would like it not to be class locked either!

I would like to play a beefy dragonboi deathknight ty

4 Likes

Anyone have any customizations they want to see?

Access to those NPC primalist eyes, for sure. But in general, I just want to see bulky, cumbersome, unwieldy spikes and scales and general builds. They need to represent that sheer imposing physicality of dragons that the Dracthyr do not.

1 Like

Different body types so they’re not all Bulk Vanderhuge, maybe more otter/athlete mode but still keep them different from Dracthyr.

Lots and lots and lots of color options. Bright colors, muted colors, each with different shading and highlighting options for each as well as multiple pattern colors and appearances.

Various different head/snoot shapes, get some high fantasy gnarly old wyrms and some heads with thicker jaws like the storm dragons and of course something more softer and thinner for an opposite look. Also tusks or just somewhat longer, thicker teeth that protrude croc-style further over the lips/jaw or even curl outward and overlap like Oni teeth.

Thicken up that pencil tail or better yet give them different width and length options, plus multiple types of tail ends, fins, blades, weaponed tail armor etc. I’d personally like a big, knobby ankylosaurus-like club tip.

Some chin and jaw fluff, floofy patches, beards and burns and beards/braids using those dangly chin tendril thingers. I was hoping Dracthyr were going to get similar chintacles like seen on some dragons ingame but oh well.

Lots of ear options from fins to mini wings to something more gobliny/elfy and some with fluff tips, simple ear holes or “battle damaged” ears with chunks missing.

Horn, ear, finger, arm, face and tail jewelry in the form of rings, cuffs, bracers, chains, gems and so on.

Get some scars and damaged scales here and there, burns or claw marks, maybe a big bite wound that’s healed over.

Tattoos and rune carvings on skin/scales in various colors and luminescent options, faint glows or go full rave mode.

Horn and claw etchings/carvings plus additional deco, cuffs/bands, cloth wraps, hanging bones, feathers, gems, etc. More horn styles in general, thick, thin, broken, branched, solid, smooth, jagged, bull horns, pronghorn, jacob sheep, ankole watusi, spiral-horned, kudu, water buffalo, etc. And give them some snoot horns! Pointy, flat, broken, point back, point forward, splint points rhino/elasmotherium heck go full einiosaurus with one.

Maybe a forked flicky tongue or some wee proto-wings in the back? Idk, just a fun thought.

Armor of course, assuming they won’t be able to wear normal armor then maybe have different base armor in class themes with various color options while still retaining a more draconic feel. Spikes, claws, scales, gems and wing-styled ornaments for example.

Polish, polish, polish the animations overall, less muppet mouth actual facial expression beyond the flappy ears and Dreamworks face. Those go without saying for a playable race but still, as is they need work. Just please don’t give them the male tauren treatment.

I’m well aware WoW has it’s own art style with their races but the body anatomy needs some balancing, if even just a smidge. Lengthen the legs a little bit and it’ll help remove the Tom and Jerry style Spike the bulldog appearance.

1 Like

Let’s not even entertain that possibility. It has already diminished my enjoyment of Dracthyr way too much.

1 Like

Trust me I know that feel, but looking at their rigging and mesh work it’ll be a job and a half unless you want most stuff to be hanging oversized off ends like giant hollow cones over the wrists and feet while the rest is painted on. It’ll be like early 2000’s SL when people had to make a separate prim for things like shirt cuffs while everything else was textured directly onto to the avatar map in layers. This is similar to what WoW still does, only difference is they’ve only recently been fiddling with the base model map to create a more 3D look in places for some armor appearances.

They’d have to do that with the Drakonid model too assuming they don’t just go with a more easier version to work with but chances are the one’s we’re seeing in DF will not be the playable ones simply for that reason. They’d have to remove most if not all of the extra bumpy bits on the mapping for the layered and textured on armor while making another map for the armor sets that do have those extra parts. It’s really something they should have done with the Dracthyr since they have a more rounded out map but all things considered I think time and the surprisingly early release date may have had a heavy hand in why it didn’t happen. This is one reason why they’ve only really dipped their toes into additional armor mapping and why we still have things like textured on armor and tube robes. They have been getting better at hiding it though, look at the Forsaken with the no bones option, it’s still a little clunky with areas like around the spine but the arms and legs mapping is solid and it works for how WoW’s armor system works.

Now, I’m not saying it won’t happen for either Drakthyr or Drakonids in the future, it is possible to do at that basic level but if it did expect it way, way later. As is the armored Drakonid do have additional and separate mapped armor rigged onto their models, but to even entertain that blizzard would go and custom make armor mapping for one race for every. single. armor set. in the game since vanilla… is regrettably, very likely, not going to happen. At that point we’d be looking at a WoW 2 for something like that.

If modern Blizzard can be relied on for one thing, it’s taken a known quantity and transmuting it into something entirely their own. :wink:

Not wrong. I mean good or bad, Dracthyr look suspiciously KzK.

We don’t need anymore failed pilots crashing to Azeroth