Dragonflight PvP Season 1 Reactions

Posting my reaction to the new season in PvP now that it has been long enough to see whats standing out and whats basically dead in the water.

Certain classes are very overtuned to be almost useless while certain specs are so insane that not playing them is basically dumb at this point.

The tank nerfs have hit most people very hard in RBGs which would be a good thing if it didnt destroy the viability of other tanks. Guardian and Vengence have been very well off even with a 10% nerf while classes like Blood, both Prots, and Brewmaster have basically been forced to switch. This is not something that should reasonably happen in a game that wants people to play what they want.

I have a ton of notes about ways to fix brewmaster in PvP by giving back Mystic vitality so we dont have to try to work with 14% Stagger against 100% magic damage attacks from other players which is horrible BTW something im sure the Devs dont realize is a problem. but it really is killing the entire spec They seriously just need to let stagger exist as its own for Brewmaster PvP and not PvE. Im sure they are worried about the overlap but really just need to change the wording of ā€œbased on current level of staggerā€ to ā€œbased on stagger totalā€ and make it only switch in PvP or with a PvP talent.

Envokers have felt pretty balanced besides being basically immortal with nulifiying shroud and hitting insanely hard in DPS. Beyond being the FOTM spec because its the dragon expansion its pretty good so far.

Affliction Locks being impossible to kill unless they sit AFK while they drain soul to full everytime has been kind of annoying. I feel like some casters really suffer in comparison to Aff locks living and doing insane damage.

I wish Blizzard would reward healers in Solo Shuffle for actually choosing to partake in being trained the entire time. I have seen way to many games at High MMR where they got 5 and 1 and get zero points while some get 1 and 5 and gain points. Low CR or not they shouldnt gain anything from losing 5 rounds while someone gains nothing for doing vastly better.

Last bit of feedback is Solo Shuffle has been really good but something has to be done to help Q times and healer punishment. If they were to bring back Tank games and let people choose to sign up for them to lower Q times Im sure it would work. Other than that giving healers 5 points if they go positive regardless of the MMR woukd be great since most healers friends I have refuse to do Solo Shuffle after putting in work to go 4 and 2 and get zero rating.

7 Likes

I personally donā€™t want to see tanks in PvP, I understand people wanting to play what they want to play, but tanks adds a full layer of complexity to balancing PvP and we donā€™t need that. The fun for people playing tanks in PvP also comes at the expense of everyone elseā€™s fun. It is the opposite of fun to fight against a tank, no matter how they balance it.

Because what is the role of a tank in PvP? Itā€™s to be a nuisance. To hold an objective by itself for a long time, to spam CC and frustrate other players.

4 Likes

Plenty of games balance tanks perfectly in PvP its really on Blizzard to give us utility over me do more damage while me take less damage. I can only play the game they give me. As for not liking it because they do the best job in protecting objectives in strategy based maps. Sorry? But this is feedback directly related to the season. If your frustrated with tanks in Rated anything I could understand that more if you elaborated on the idea.

1 Like

The idea is that trying to balance tanks in organized PvP makes balancing the rest harder.
Theyā€™ve tried balancing tanks for too long and it never worked. They were always too strong or too weak. Take Warsong Gulch as an example. How do you balance it so that a tank carrying the flag isnā€™t too strong without making a DPS or healer carrying the flag too weak?

And what utility would you give tanks over the utility a DPS or healer has that wouldnā€™t be frustrating for everyone on the receiving hand? If you give them more CC than a DPS or healer, itā€™s just not fun for people who spend all their time unable to play. If you give them too many ways to redirect damage or nullify it, than itā€™s also not fun for anyone involved because no one likes when their abilities donā€™t do what they are supposed to do.
If you give them too many party defensive CDs, then the game needs to be balanced around being able to out damage such CDs and it makes tanks mandatory.

Is it possible for tanks to exist in PvP? Sure it is.
But the question shouldnā€™t be that, it should be ā€œIs it worth it to balance tanks in PvP?ā€ and to that, I personally believe that the answer is a resounding no when the balance between DPS, healers and classes is already not in a good shape to begin with.
They need to fix the current balance first before even thinking of helping tanks find their place in PvP.

Iā€™ve liked that we have finally strayed away from the ā€œone shot metaā€ that took over Shadowlands. I know Blizzard is still tuning these numbers since some classes (IE: Monks) are still coming in with near one shots. Iā€™ve been having a lot of fun with Solo Shuffle, but of course, there are things to be fixed (queue times being a big one). I believe Blizzard needs to also insert some type of algorithm so each first team is melee/caster dps and tank/healer etc. Any DPS caster who has queued into a lobby full of Death Knights understands the pain haha. Aside from that though, Iā€™ve been enjoying myself this season so far. I enjoy the variety of builds and talents weā€™re experiencing, and there is a certain fun flair trying to figure out what the enemy is running while setting up your own kills.

I was playing RBGs today and there is a ā€˜bugā€™ that needs to be addressed. In Rated Battlegrounds, there is a way for Evokers to ā€˜rescueā€™ someone while capping away from flag and that person can still cap the flag. I believe that is a bug that needs to be addressed as unintentional. Evokers were rescueing players away from flag node behind LoS to easily cap flag. Please fix!

1 Like

You can also rewind people carrying orbs resetting the stacks and effectively stealing a kill.

I only have a comment about War Mode so far, as I have only done some random bgs, as I donā€™t participate in rated PvP. However, War Mode is still part of PvP so, figure might as well post. Probably going to get a lot of attacks for the following, but alas, that is my life I guess:

They removed daily world quests to avoid making people feel pressured to do them daily for the reputation, but they kept daily world quests intact for War Mode, which feelsā€¦ hypocritical?

But then, went one further and made the reputation from these WQs the same amount as the bi-weekly WQs (when, as dailies, they should give less, like the pet battle WQs, which give a measly ~35 reputation a day). Thereā€™s been like 5-6 times now that one of the rewards was blatantly just 500 Reputation for one of the WQs.

Which has led to an influx of non-PvPers feeling forced into War Mode to maximize their reputation gain - something they say the bi-weekly change was done to combat.

I enjoyed hopping into War Mode on occasion to do random quests in Shadowlands and was doing it in DF, but started noticing how frustrated some players were getting in general chat just trying to do the WQs because they ā€œwanted the repā€ - when the WQ zones often get turned into HK farms.

I donā€™t think PvPers want non-PvPers in War Mode anymore than they want to be there, so can we please look into ways to make non-PvPers not feel pressured to get into War Mode every day for the dailies for the reputation? Since the same reasoning was given as to why WQs were made Bi-Weekly?

I donā€™t mind fighting tanks USUALLY, but some tanks do have ridiculous self healing. A tank shouldnā€™t be able to act as both a wall and a healer. This was, from what I recall, a major issue with prot pallies in Shadowlands Season 3/4, to the point they had to make targeted nerfs to prot pallies, was it not?

But now itā€™s spread to a few other tanks from what Iā€™ve noticed in War Mode and in random bgs. We were fighting a warrior or druid the other day (I just remember they had rage), and all I remember was it was 5v1, and it ended with 4 of us dead and me killing him with a kill shot when I was almost dead myself. It was ridiculous.

I can only imagine how ridiculous theyā€™d be in proper pvp gear with a team backing them in a rated bg or arena.

I would say the rep really helps because most PvPers dont really do quests or events so getting rep for doing PvP quests is nice. I would say letting the rep rewards stand for PvP is a good thing as we have almost zero rewards making it worth while for doing worldquests besides just PvPing. If they made some boxes for gathering mats for bloody coins or marks of honor would be good too for helping making things worth it. I understand some nonPvPers have been doing warmode more but I dont think its a bad thing really since its usually pretty dead anyway.

Besides the obviously glaring problems of leavers and healer shortages Solo Shuffle has been pretty good so far. The only problem is that certain classes and specs get absolutely destroyed because they bring almost nothing to the table to help a different team every round. Watching low healers get put into 2k games with 1200 rating is criminally bad game design. Watching people leave after going 5-0 just to play another game 56 minutes later and go 2-4 and lose rating is super disheartening. Blizzard has to change something

If blizzard really wants this new game to work they need to put in the real hours and make it work because it will continue to hemorrhage healers who are placed too high and DPS who are placed with low healers causing both people to quit. They are basically shooting themselves in the foot unless these issues are changed.

1 Like

Going to rebump this thread for the new people showing up eventually to hear some reactions about the season so far. Seems the same problems are still existing of underperforming specs and classes not getting much love in the way of changes.

1 Like