Dragonflight Freezing/Lagging

Hello,

Ever since the start of Dragonflight, I have had crazy, basically unplayable freezing, where my character can move around (but not interact with anything or cast spells) and everything else is frozen. Then after like 2-5 seconds all the spells and things that happened will all happen all at once. You can see how this would be a problem, like when I am trying to tank a M+, and all of a sudden I didn’t clear my thundering or I am standing in a sanguine pool and cause the group to wipe.

I have tried many things, reinstalled the game on a SDD vs a HDD, updated/reinstalled windows, reset the game’s UI, set the game’s priority as high in task manager, used the game repair tool, messed with graphics settings, cleared up storage, disabled and eventually uninstalled on my addons, reinstalled and updated Windows 10, game drivers, etc. I even did a physical deep clean of the inside of my PC!

I don’t think it is a latency issue, even during freezes the GeForce overlay says I am sitting at like 30 ping. I use a WIFI extender and connect that to my PC via an ethernet.

My PC is a few years old, but I have been playing WoW on this PC since the beginning of BFA and never had issues (which is around the time I got it).

Is there anything else I can do or anyone that can help? I am about to cancel my subscription because this really ruins the game, and it is sad because I have enjoyed Dragonflight a lot so far!

1 Like

I started noticing the same thing couple days ago.

But I am huge lag spikes, latency will start climbing 2000ms up to 5000ms or so. Checked my network, antivirus, malware everything was fine.

checked driver updates, all good there. Just out of nowhere I can’t group or stay in an area with more than 5 or so people or the latency goes thru the roof.

Forget raiding or doing pvp etc or anything with more than 10 people because I’m lucky to get one spell off before I am dead or the boss dies.

FPS is over 100, it is the latency that goes nuclear and then I can’t do anything without 10 to 20 second delay in spell casts etc.

Edit: I do notice that a lot of my lag went away when my daughter/grandkids left after visiting…I think my daughter was streaming TikTok or some other stuff and my internet went to hell…no problems lately.

2 Likes

Same problem happening here. Unable to raid, run keys, or really anything. I’ve also tried all the recommended troubleshooting as well as deeper dive on my hardware.
I’ve repair/scanned, uninstalled all add-ons and when that didn’t work did a fresh install of wow. Still the same issue.

This all started a few days ago for me out of the blue and had continued to ruin any chance of playing for me since. (No response on other thread in tech support about it for me or anyone else with the issue…which makes me think the problem is on blizzards end and just not being addressed.

Ok, so I got a response from blizz tech support on my ticket.
They sent an automated message that linked to the troubleshooting sites of theirs that I already did(and told them I did in my initial ticket. Further, they ask that if it doesn’t solve my problem to attach new system files to my ticket (already did this yesterday) and they will try to help me.

So basically, their “help” so far is to tell me to redo all the troubleshooting I already did and then maybe they can help me.

Are you guys for real?

It’s AI responding to your tickets. I don’t think a real set of eyes looks at the issue until it’s been escalated and marked unresolved.

They may have cute signatures with random sayings but that’s not a real person. It’s been like this for awhile.

1 Like

Update:

I power cycled my route again (I left it off for like 30 minutes, before I only did a few minutes) then reset my wifi extender and made sure I was connected to the correct network. Since then, things have been leaps and bounds better. I have a few freezes like discussed, but very manageable. I also deleted curseforge, which happened to be downloaded on my SDD and HDD for some reason.

I have not redownloaded my addons (as I am scared they will screw everything up)!

I am skeptical it is fixed for good, but maybe it is!

1 Like

Happening here since DF launch

1 Like

I have the same issue. From my understanding, from guild chat and taking to reddit after, this is a known issue with Geforce 3000 series video cards. Do you happen to have a 3000 series card?

I’ve got the G-force RTX 2070 with Max Q and I’ve had same problems since the Primal Storms dropped. This seems to be a pretty wide-spread issue and I wish blizz would address it directly. I had normally run with max settings without an issue.

It’s been an issue for the 3000 series people since November. Not sure what specifically is causing it, i run very light on addons. I’ve rolled back my drivers and it still occurs at the most horrible times. Being a tank/healer in Mythics/raids is not good for my guild. Last night it happened right as we moved to the fire platform on Grimtotem, when i came out of the spike i was dead to a fire puddle.

Some nights there’s no spikes, others it happens every 2 minutes. Bought new cooling thinking it was maybe an overheating issue… nope. Other games run just fine, only WoW.

I think it is mostly fixed for me. My wifi extender was connected to my 2.4ghz wifi and when I switched it to 5ghz it improved drastically.

been happening for me for me since patch

What is your home latency and world latency showing when this is happening?

Much further than I got. I was told its just packet loss from my router (which is 0% til I get to the hop just before their game server)…

500+ for both, sometimes into the 1,000’s. I get really minor freezes which tend to be manageable when latency is under 100. It honestly is pretty random time of day when my it decides to be terrible

So, I still do not know what the issue was. In my case, I got so frustrated with it that ai just wiped my PC and reinstalled everything from scratch.

Since it’s working correctly now, I can only assume it was something software related. I know this doesn’t really help narrow it down, but I figured I would share the extreme step I took that worked.

1 Like

Update #3 - Turns out it was my wifi extender. When I just connect my wifi to my router, no issues remain.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.