Dragonflight Disc Passive Atonement

Is there anyone else who would like Discipline Priest to go back to passive Atonement from previous expansions? With the new talent trees bringing back the ability for disc to gain access to Renew and Prayer Mending again, I would love the passive Atonement to come back as well. I feel like applying the atonement just feels more clunky and would make more sense thematically and play wise to have it be passive so you can use globals on renew and prayer of mending for example without feeling super taxed and punished for it by not applying just atonement instead.

2 Likes

Yes there are people that want that. A couple. But since atonwement is IN the talent tree its not going to happen. :slight_smile:

Just because Atonement is in the talent tree does not mean it cannot be changed into a passive vs an active application.

1 Like

It does, that would require a major rework in how disc works and its too late for that for this xpac. They arent going to make those sort of massive changes

Imo, with the tree creation for each class there isnt going to be major overhaul of any class. So far, they’ve been creating a tree from existing while adding a bit of new stuff in there.

Also, our trees will still need work. We can’t be straying too far from the existing specs and should focus on improvements that we need and not big changes like that.

The thing is, the last time Disc had access to renew and prayer of mending, atonement was passive My point is that to actually use those abilities it’s punishing and you’d likely be better off just applying atonement. The clunky application changing isn’t really that big of a change imo

Nevermind that resto shamans get Ancestral Awakening which on crit heals from Surge, Wave, and Riptide grant 20% of the crit to the lowest nearby party or raid member.

We can’t do bubble healing even though it sounds almost like Divine Aegis to me, but okay!

Yeah it is because its the entire way disc heals and a lot of the talents in the tree would need to be reworked or outright dropped. They arent going to overhaul a tree when they are still putting out other trees. Im hoping PoM and renew are buffed when on someone with atonement. That will make things interesting

It is early early alpha, plenty of things can change. Honestly even just changing atonement so that renew and prayer of mending apply atonement is plenty enough of a bandaid fix and would make those abilities not feel suboptimal to press.

Those are small changes. Making atonement as a smart heal is a really big in how the class plays

With the buff to smite you prob shouldnt be pressing renew anyways. Smite spam will net you more healing and damage, which is our job. Im not agaisnt PoM putting atonement out, in fact i suggested it as a funny years ago. But it wont happen.

I suppose renew on the move in a key between packs might be nice /shrug

Yeah just making Renew and PoM apply Atonement is super easy and will make those abilities feel good to press, be impactful, and ensure fluid gameplay that doesn’t feel punishing for not just applying atonement instead of using those abilities.

See you say that. In legion we had plea. And people struggled with knowing when to use what and they baked plea into PWS which is why it is only an atonement applicator. Going on that thought process it may make disc harder to play for a newbie with so much going on

Holy is the intro healer. Disc has always been the more complex of the two and that’s ok if a spec has a more steep learning curve. I don’t see how making abilities be available if they feel suboptimal to press. If simply applying Atonement as is in retail and playing the exact same as we do now is 100x more efficient then why even give PoM baseline and make Renew so accessible?

I think that making more additional abilities apply Atonement makes the spec easier and more fluid and not harder as well. I’m not saying to make only renew and PoM apply Atonement, I’m saying to add them to the list

I understand what your saying. As i said… in legion we had plea. Adding xtra buttons that applied atonement mad eit harder for some people. I dont know why but it did leading blizz to dumb the spec down a bit

I think it was more that people felt that PWS was worthless to press since it didn’t give a big enough shield or apply Atonement so it felt bad to press. Kind of the same argument with these 2 abilities returning, no?

I hate that definition of holy. It’s like you should quit playing holy once you can grasp the role of a healer.

I’d attribute holy to be more of a ‘classical healer’ it’s easier to understand for the people who are alien to healing.

Meanwhile, while disc is harder to play. It plays a role of amazing burst healing that requires setup. If you make atonement a smart heal you completely change how the spec is played in raid.

Pw:shield atm is the spell that comes on top of disc priests in the healer meter in dungeons.

Sure, it’s because of rapture. But the button isn’t worthless in itslef, some ppl just don’t like it because the shield isnt as strong as it used to be. It’s still a decent button to press. It’s just not a shield that lets you breath like it used to.

That was in regards to PWS when Plea was what applied Atonement, not current SL iteration.

um no… they baked plea into pws because people didint know when to plea when to pws when to mend and they wanted to cut down the buttons to make disc easier to play for the lay person. I disagreed with it at the time but tis turned out ok

Yes so adding PoM and Renew goes in line with your statement’s philosophy then. Simply giving you more ways to apply Atonement does not mean you have to. People could play exactly as they do currently… OR have a new option and flavor to apply their Atonement and make the class feel more fluid to play